[comp.edu] Peano vs Dedekind

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (01/20/89)

In article <1088@l.cc.purdue.edu> cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes
a lengthy article in which he makes many points about education and
other things.  But, in the middle of it, he has this:

>The Peano postulates (really due to Dedekind) contain the essence of the
>structure of the integers.     ... [ much more deleted ]

Really?

I thought that the Peano Postulates pertained to counting numbers
and not to integers, and that they really had been done by Peano.

Can anybody confirm, deny, or supply a reference for this?

(I think that Dedekind *did* contribute to the theory of real numbers
through the notion that we call "Dedekind Cut".  But again this is
neither the counting numbers nor the integers.)

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) (01/23/89)

In article <2035@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <1088@l.cc.purdue.edu> cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes
>
>>The Peano postulates (really due to Dedekind) contain the essence of the
>>structure of the integers.     ... [ much more deleted ]
>
>Really?
>
>I thought that the Peano Postulates pertained to counting numbers
>and not to integers, and that they really had been done by Peano.

Once you have the natural numbers, the integers are a triviality (in a
sense that can be made mathematically precise)

Peano: Sul concetto di numero, 1891

Dedekind: Stetigkeit und irrationale Zahlen, 1872
	  Was sind und was sollen die Zahlen?, 1888

Dedekind was just less explicit.

--
   _  _  _      David A. Ross   (Dept.Math.&Stat.,U.ofMN,Duluth)
  / \/ \/ \     BITNET: dross@umndul THISNET: dross@ub.d.umn.edu

flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (01/25/89)

In article <2035@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <1088@l.cc.purdue.edu> cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes
>>The Peano postulates (really due to Dedekind) contain the essence of the
>>structure of the integers.     ... [ much more deleted ]
>
>Really?
Yes.  Peano deserves zilch in the way of credit.  Nothing.  He'd
read Was SInd und Was Zollen die Zahlen; the only difference is that
he uses a weaker logic (first order, Dedekind uses 2nd).
From: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom