[comp.edu] Multiple Choice Tests

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (01/21/89)

In article <407@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.UUCP (Darin Johnson) writes:
>In article <9286@ut-emx.UUCP> nather@ut-emx.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>>In my view, there are NO good multiple-choice tests -- the very format
>>precludes its use as a sensitive probe of a student's understanding.
>
>Actually, I had a very difficult MC test, that did indeed show student
>understanding.  In order for an answer to count, you had to show your
>work!  Instead of 20 questions filling up a page,  there were maybe 4.
>(I think the reason it was done this way was that students were asking
>for a multiple choice test :-)

I had a MC test for Engin 10 (Engineering Measurements) that was
the worst test EVER!

Sample question:  A steel chain calibrated at 70 deg F and 40lb
tension measures 98.010 feet.  The temperature is 83.5 deg F and
the tension is 43.55 lb.

The correct length is:  A. 98.0....

The numbers were all possible answers in which each of the two
correction factors were added and subtracted.  The bear was that
no matter how you worked the problem the correct answer and each
of the possible mistakes were listed as a possible answer.

Other problems had all possible decimal point placements, or
various table interpolation rules.

In essense there was no way to "guess" as any answer you might
provide was there, no way to eliminate wrong answers.
--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

kolb@handel.colostate.edu. (Denny Kolb) (01/22/89)

In article <2394@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:

>I had a MC test for Engin 10 (Engineering Measurements) that was
>the worst test EVER!

  [... description of a sample problem....]

>In essense there was no way to "guess" as any answer you might
>provide was there, no way to eliminate wrong answers.

   So by your definition, a "good" multiple choice test is one on which
   3 out of 5 answers may be eliminated without working the problem? :-)

Regards,
Denny Kolb                   |  The opinions expressed here are not my own.
kolb@handel.cs.ColoState.Edu |  My mind is being controlled by small furry
hao!handel!kolb              |    creatures from Alpha Centauri.

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (01/24/89)

In article <1033@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> kolb@handel.colostate.edu..UUCP (Denny Kolb) writes:

>   So by your definition, a "good" multiple choice test is one on which
>   3 out of 5 answers may be eliminated without working the problem? :-)

I think you misunderstand.  In the MC test I described all of the
answers were reasonable and the ONLY way one could be sure which
was correct was to work the problem.  The answers were structured
so guessing was not possible as the numbers all seemed correct.

Sometimes one could guess because the correction factors were
either plus or minus and hence one could figure out which way
they were to be applied and pick the correct number.  Guess what,
the instructor wasn't interested in the exact value, but whether
you could decide the direction of the correction factor.  Hence
"guessing" the right direction was the only thing wanted.  Also
there were questions in which the only thing was the fixing of
the decimal point.

I was more amused in physics when I had a problem about viscosity
and derived the correct equation using dimensional analysis and
got one point off because I didn't have the correct constant for
the multiplier.
--

kolb@handel.colostate.edu (Denny Kolb) (01/24/89)

In article <2409@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
>In article <1033@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> kolb@handel.colostate.edu..UUCP (Denny Kolb) writes:
>>
>>   So by your definition, a "good" multiple choice test is one on which
>>   3 out of 5 answers may be eliminated without working the problem? :-)
>>

>I think you misunderstand.  In the MC test I described all of the
>answers were reasonable and the ONLY way one could be sure which
>was correct was to work the problem.  The answers were structured
>so guessing was not possible as the numbers all seemed correct.

  No, I didn't misunderstand.  Even your reply seems to indicate that to you
the purpose of the multiple answers is to allow the student to check his/her
work.  This is not the case.  Just because one of the current nic-names for
MC test is `multiple-guess', does not mean that you should be able to
guess your way to a decent score.  To me this sounds like a very well written
and carefully thought out MC test.

One of the drawbacks to a MC test is that no partial credit can be given;
however, if one is careful, then unless you are *really* dependent upon
having the correct answer in front of you, to help sort out any procedural
difficulties you may be having, then you will probably not lose too many
points that you shouldn't have.

>Sometimes one could guess because the correction factors were
>either plus or minus and hence one could figure out which way
>they were to be applied and pick the correct number.  Guess what,
>the instructor wasn't interested in the exact value, but whether
>you could decide the direction of the correction factor.  Hence
>"guessing" the right direction was the only thing wanted.  Also
>there were questions in which the only thing was the fixing of
>the decimal point.

   You do seem to think that anyone who writes a MC test expects a lot of
  guessing, and `I guess :-)' that unless then exam is penalty graded, then
  one must expect guessing.  However, I have never written, and I have never
  taken, a MC exam where the student was *expected* to guess the correct
  answer.

    Have you considered that possibly what the instructor was testing was
  precisely your knowledge of how to use these `correction factors?'

    What you describe, seems to me to be a two-level question.  The better
  student, will be able to see the easy way to arrive at the correct answer
  in very short order.  The less able, but still capable student, will be
  able to arrive at the correct answer with some effort.  The student who
  hasn't a clue, will not be able to arrive at the correct answer, unless
  he does `guess.'  Considering that most MC tests have 5 possible answers
  listed, then the `guessing' student will on average receive only a 20%
  on the exam, which will in no way be allowed as a passing grade.

    Also, think about how much time the instructor has put into this test.
  He has taken the time to work each problem 5 times, and has probably
  spent more time preparing this exam than you did studying for if *and*
  taking it.
>--
>=Dennis L. Mumaugh
> Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

Denny Kolb                   |         Computers are my job,
kolb@handel.cs.ColoState.Edu |         they are not my life.
hao!handel!kolb              |

news@afit-ab.arpa (News System Account) (01/25/89)

Sounds like a simple mix-up in the interpretation of the
word "WORST" in the original posting.  Why all the fuss?

Disclaimer: They're MINE, ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!

Mark