[comp.edu] References: Reading from CRT vs. Paper

sboyle@mbunix.mitre.org (Stephen V. Boyle) (01/24/89)

In article <928@novavax.UUCP> maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:
>	Next, in a casual conversation about displays, a friend cited
>research he'd read that indicated all CRTs caused a 25% decrease in
>reading comprehension by comparison to the printed page.  At the time
>I just nodded my head, but now I want to know:  could this be true, or
>is this true in some fashion?  More to the point, perhaps, does anyone
>know of the research that was alluded to?

It's true (in some fashion), although at least one study has demonstrated that
reading from a CRT can be nearly as fast and accurate as from paper, depending
on image quality. The applicable paper is:

Gould, J. D., Alfaro, L., Finn, R., Haupt, B., Minuto, A., and Salaun, J.
    (1987). Why reading was slower from CRT displays than from paper.
    Proceedings of ACM CHI + GI, 1987, 7-11

The above is also available separately from ACM: ACM-0-89791-213-6/87/0004/0007
$0.75/copy.

Also see:

Cushman, W. H. (1986). Reading from microfiche, a VDT, and the printed page;
    subjective fatigue and performance. Human Factors, 28, 63-73.

Gould, J. D., (1986) Why is reading slower from CRT displays than from paper?
    Proceedings of the Annual Human Factors Society Meeting, Dayton, Ohio,
    October, 1986, 834-836.

----------
Steve Boyle             				The MITRE Corporation
sboyle@mbunix.mitre.org					UNIX Systems
(617) 271-7030						Burlington Road
							Bedford, MA. 01730

sboyle@mbunix.mitre.org (Stephen V. Boyle) (01/28/89)

In article <43835@linus.UUCP> sboyle@mbunix.mitre.org (Boyle) writes:

>Gould, J. D., Alfaro, L., Finn, R., Haupt, B., Minuto, A., and Salaun, J.
>    (1987). Why reading was slower from CRT displays than from paper.
>    Proceedings of ACM CHI + GI, 1987, 7-11
>
>The above is also available separately from ACM: ACM-0-89791-213-6/87/0004/0007
>$0.75/copy.

Sorry people, the above is *not* available from the ACM. The $0.75/copy refers
to the charge to be remitted to the ACM for copying the article. To quote the
ACM copying policy: "Copying without fee is permitted provided that the copies
are not made or distributed for direct commercial advantage and credit to the
source is given. Abstracting with credit is permitted. For other copying of
articles that carry a code ath the bottom of the first page, copying is per-
mitted provided that the per-copy fee indicated on the code is paid through the
Copyright Clearance Center, 21 Congress Street, Salem, MA 01970. For permission
to republish write to: Director of Publications, Association for Computing
Machinery. To copy otherwise, or republish, requires a fee and/or specific
permission."

My apologies to anyone whom I've inconvenienced, and to the ACM. Thanks to
George Leach at Paradyne, whose query prompted me to research this completely.
(Of course, I was *positive* that I had ordered reprints from the ACM in the
past. It's a terrible thing to experience the deterioration of what was once
a perfectly sub-adequate mind. :=)

avi@dgp.toronto.edu (Avi Naiman) (01/28/89)

In article <43835@linus.UUCP> sboyle@mbunix.mitre.org (Boyle) writes:
>In article <928@novavax.UUCP> maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:
>> research ...  that indicated all CRTs caused a 25% decrease in
>> reading comprehension by comparison to the printed page.
>> ... could this be true ... ? does anyone
>>know of the research that was alluded to?

> Gould, J. D., Alfaro, L., Finn, R., Haupt, B., Minuto, A., and Salaun, J.
>    (1987). Why reading was slower from CRT displays than from paper.
>    Proceedings of ACM CHI + GI, 1987, 7-11

> Cushman, W. H. (1986). Reading from microfiche, a VDT, and the printed page;
>    subjective fatigue and performance. Human Factors, 28, 63-73.
>
> Gould, J. D., (1986) Why is reading slower from CRT displays than from paper?
>    Proceedings of the Annual Human Factors Society Meeting, Dayton, Ohio,
>    October, 1986, 834-836.

Also:

Bender 87 Bender, W., R. A. Crespo, P. J.  Kennedy,  and  R.
          Oakley,  ``CRT  Typeface  Design and Evaluation,''
          Proceedings of the  Human  Factors  Society,  31st
          Annual Meeting, 1987, pp. 1311-1314.

Farrell 88Farrell, J. E. and A. E. Fitzhugh ``Image  Quality
          of  Digital Characters,'' Supplement to Investiga-
          tive Opthalmology and  Visual  Science,  1988,  In
          Press.

Gould 84  Gould, J. D. and N. Grischkowsky, ``Doing the Same
          Work  with  Hard  Copy  and  with Cathode-Ray Tube
          (CRT) Computer Terminals,'' Human Factors,  Volume
          26, Number 3, June 1984, pp. 323-337.

Gould 87b Gould, J. D. et al., ``Reading is Slower from  CRT
          Displays  than  from  Paper: Attempts to Isolate a
          Single-Variable  Explanation,''   Human   Factors,
          Volume 29, Number 3, June 1987, pp. 269-299.
--
Avi Naiman
avi@dgp.toronto.edu