[comp.edu] Advice ...

johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) (01/27/89)

In article <2008@lcuxlm.ATT.COM>, ram@lcuxlm.ATT.COM (Miani Rich) writes:
> I would like some advice, opinions, past experiences, etc regarding the
> subject of part-time graduate work. My dilemma: I would like to go
> back to school to earn a Ph. D. in Comp. Sci. ( I have an M.S. in C.S. now)
> but I would like to do it part-time. I realize that this will take a *very long*
> time and that there are a number of major headaches involved. I just
> started poking around for info and many schools seem to be opposed to this idea.

I think it depends on what you define as "part-time". If you expect to
work as an office clerk and also do a Ph.D. in Comp. Sci, then it may be
difficult in the U.S. Many universities in Europe offer part-time Ph.D.
study, but the emphasis there is much more on individual research and a
bit less on classes, seminars, sponsored projects, etc.

A suggestion might be to try New York University. They seem to run many of
their CS classes in the evenings, so that they're tailored for people who
work during the day and study for an M.S. part-time. I don't know about
the Ph.D. level work, though.

On the other hand, you may be able to get a job in some research lab (such
as Bell Labs!), where your area of Ph.D. research is also the work you do
in the "day job". Naturally, the employer and your thesis advisor must be
in agreement on the topic. I think some universities allow you to conduct
some research off-campus.

One system I know of is Stanford's Honors Co-Op Program, which allows
people employed by local industry to pursue graduate study. Classes are
televised, so you don't HAVE to travel to the campus, except for exams,
etc. Many people in the program are M.S. students, though I have heard of
people doing Ph.D. work too. Typically, the employers have to pay higher
than ordinary tuition in this system. (This is a mechanism for the faculty
to get research funding.) When there is a fairly close relationship
between some faculty members and influential people in industry, it seems
possible for someone to do joint research of this type.

If you get any useful information, remember to post it here. I'd certainly
be interested in how you progress. Good luck!

- John Murray (My own opinions, etc. No Amdahl endorsements implied.)

ram@lcuxlm.ATT.COM (Miani Rich) (01/28/89)

In article <00JuC36BGP1010IEdew@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) writes:
> In article <2008@lcuxlm.ATT.COM>, ram@lcuxlm.ATT.COM (Miani Rich) writes:
> > I would like some advice, opinions, past experiences, etc regarding the
> > subject of part-time graduate work. My dilemma: I would like to go
> > back to school to earn a Ph. D. in Comp. Sci. ( I have an M.S. in C.S. now)
> > but I would like to do it part-time. I realize that this will take a *very long*
> > time and that there are a number of major headaches involved. I just
> > started poking around for info and many schools seem to be opposed to this idea.

Thanks to the many people who replied. I think that the consensus is as
follows:

1) There are quite a few universities such as Columbia, Princeton, etc. that
   say flat out that you MUST be full time to pursue a Ph.D.

2) Other schools will let you, but there are many individual policies, so the
   best bet is to call someone in the CS department at the school you
   are interested in. DONT CALL anyone from the Registrar's Office as they
   often give incorrect information ( I found out the hard way :-( ). A
   sampling of schools that allow part-time : Stanford, U. Illinois UC,
   NYU, and U South Florida.

3) Some messages suggest that if you work for a research-oriented company
   , they might be willing to support you. However, to be in a research
   oriented group, you usually need a Ph.D. to begin with. I work at  Bell
   Labs ( in software development) and this seems to be *largely* the case.
   If you can do it this way, however, it seems to the best bet ( as advised
   by all the respondees to my message ).

4) If you are working full-time while trying to do this, it has been suggested
   by a number of people that the time/work involved in thesis research can
   kill you. ( or at least put you on the funny farm). Again, the suggestion
   is to take a leave of absence ( or quit, or work part-time) when
   thesis time rolls around.

5) There is some question as to the timetable you keep in regard to
   coursework, qualifying exams, etc. This is school-by-school dependant.

6) Good news: Several responses were from persons who managed to do it!!! Also,
   several responses from people who want to try. Very few completely
   negative responses.

7) EVERY message warns about the time involved, so I think it is safe to
   say that this is for VERY serious students only.

Once again, thanks to all those who responded. The input I received has helped
me a great deal.

Any questions, contact me ( or post to this group )

Rich Miani
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Liberty Corner, New Jersey

...arpa!lcuxlm!ram
ram%lcuxlm@research.att.com

conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham) (01/31/89)

In article <2015@lcuxlm.ATT.COM> ram@lcuxlm.ATT.COM (Miani Rich) writes:
>> > but I would like to do it part-time.

I haven't been following all of this discussion, but has anyone
addressed the "social" or "cultural" aspects of part-time vs.
full-time doctoral study?  (By the way not all research doctorates are
Doctor of Philosophy--Ph.D.-- degrees;  a few engineering schools grant
Doctor of Science degrees--D.Sc. or Sc.D. instead.)

It seems to me that a very important and large component of education
at any level is the "socialization" into an "educated culture".  I think
that this is especially true of doctoral level study.  I have
personally benefited as much from my non-classroom interactions with
professors and fellow students (during informal discussions and as a
part of assistantship work assignments) as from more formal classes and
seminars.  Part-time students are often "outsiders."

To me the research for and writing of a doctoral dissertation is an
"apprenticeship" to a "master."  It seems to me that part-time
doctoral students have greater difficulty in forming such close
working relationships.  Of course, persons who have the good fortune
to overlap their "day job" assignments with their doctoral research
may have the best of both worlds!

Perhaps my experiences are unique, but, in my five years of full-time
employment preceding my return for doctoral study, my work too often
tended to concentrate on relatively short term objectives.  These
objectives were usually determined by others or by external events.
We had to complete the program that our boss promised for last last week or
handle the disk crash or make a presentation to "customers" or soothe
an irate user who called while you were trying to handle the previous
items.  Doctoral research involves largely self-defined and
self-motivated work toward a goal that is a "couple" of years away.
Moving from externally motivated "fire fighting" to internally
motivated and disciplined "deep thinking" :-) was not easy for me.
Trying to work full time in the environment I described and completing
doctoral research probably would not have been possible.

Another social aspect is "hunger".  I have found it easy to drift off
course in my doctoral program.   This tendency might have been worse
had not been for the "economic deprivation" that usually accompanies
being a full-time student. :-)

Conrad Cunningham
A I-hope-soon recipient of a D.Sc. in CS

choo@aqua.cs.yale.edu (young-il choo) (02/01/89)

In article <669@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham) writes:
   In article <2015@lcuxlm.ATT.COM> ram@lcuxlm.ATT.COM (Miani Rich) writes:
   >> > but I would like to do it part-time.

   I haven't been following all of this discussion, but has anyone
   addressed the "social" or "cultural" aspects of part-time vs.
   full-time doctoral study?  [...]

   It seems to me that a very important and large component of education
   at any level is the "socialization" into an "educated culture".  I think
   that this is especially true of doctoral level study.  [...]

   To me the research for and writing of a doctoral dissertation is an
   "apprenticeship" to a "master."

   [more good stuff deleted]

   Conrad Cunningham
   A I-hope-soon recipient of a D.Sc. in CS

I strongly second the idea that working on a doctorate is an
"apprenticeship" to a "master".  The class work etc. are the basics
required of any profession, but to do research I believe you need a
perspective of what the important questions and open problems are in the
field as well as the nuts and bolts of how to do research.

And the best way to develop such a perspective is by studying under and,
working, talking and even arguing with someone who already is a "master"
(shouldn't this be "doctor"?).  This takes time.

--  Young-il Choo  [Yale Computer Science choo-young-il@cs.yale.edu]

ram@lcuxlm.ATT.COM (Miani Rich) (02/02/89)

> In article <669@wucs1.wustl.edu> conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham) writes:
>
>    I haven't been following all of this discussion, but has anyone
>    addressed the "social" or "cultural" aspects of part-time vs.
>    full-time doctoral study?  [...]
>
>    It seems to me that a very important and large component of education
>    at any level is the "socialization" into an "educated culture".  I think
>    that this is especially true of doctoral level study.  [...]
>
>    To me the research for and writing of a doctoral dissertation is an
>    "apprenticeship" to a "master."
>
>    [more good stuff deleted]
>

> I strongly second the idea that working on a doctorate is an
> "apprenticeship" to a "master".  The class work etc. are the basics
------------------------------

	stuff deleted

------------------------------

> And the best way to develop such a perspective is by studying under and,
> working, talking and even arguing with someone who already is a "master"
> (shouldn't this be "doctor"?).  This takes time.

I too, agree ( even though I opened this whole can of worms...). In getting
my MS, a significant portion of my overall learning was out of the classroom
and in one-on-one with faculty. HOWEVER, there are people who are
extremely serious about the desire to complete a PhD and do not have the
economic resources to do it full time ( translated --> cannot afford the
pay cut from a full salaried employee to assistants' support wages ).

A middle of the road solution for us would-be part-timers is to complete all
the required course-work on a part-time basis and then take a leave of
absence ( or whatever) from work and start full-time when thesis/research
time rolls around.

Rich Miani
AT&T Bell Labs
Liberty Corner, NJ