[comp.edu] built-in security features

roger@nsc.nsc.com (Roger Thompson) (01/04/89)

I'm in the process of doing a market study on "Computer Security".

Granted this is rather broad, but one has to start somewhere.  My
bottom line interest is to determine what if anything a semiconductor
manufacturer such as National Semiconductor should do in the
design of their various products which will make the systems designers
job easier IF he has requirements in the the area of Computer Security.
In short,  if your system has security requirements what could
we do to make your life vastly easier.

I would like feed-back from those of you working on ACTUAL product
development.  My questions are

	1.)  Is security important --- if it isn't let me know
	2.)  If it is --- I have a few questions

		a.) is your product commercial or government driven.
		    what is the consumer base?  I don't need the
		    actual customer name.

		b.) what type of product is it?  Is it a workstation,
		    a peripheral controller, a network server or
		    a stand-alone controller.

		c.) Is security provided via software solutions,
		    hardware only, or a mix of hardware and software.

	3.)  If you had your choice, what would you like to see
	     in the way of enhancements to microprocessor, peripheral
	     controllers and memory devices.

I would like to see responses via email and I'll summarize the
results.

Thanx for your help in advance.

andy@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) (01/10/89)

In article <8846@nsc.nsc.com> roger@nsc.nsc.com (Roger Thompson) writes:
>In short,  if your system has security requirements what could
>we do to make your life vastly easier.

The world does change.  Some time before the IBM-PC was introduced,
"someone" suggested anti- software piracy features to Intel.  The
basic idea was to have dealers trap-door encrypt code, using a
processor-specific number, before delivering it to their customers.
The cpu chip would then decrypt the code in real-time and execute it,
but only if the dealer had encrypted it for that particular chip.

Intel's response was that they sold chips and that software piracy
helped them sell more.

-andy
UUCP:  {arpa gateways, decwrl, uunet, rutgers}!polya.stanford.edu!andy
ARPA:  andy@polya.stanford.edu
(415) 329-1718/723-3088 home/cubicle

nusip@maccs.McMaster.CA (Mike Borza) (01/17/89)

In article <5995@polya.Stanford.EDU> andy@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) writes:
>In article <8846@nsc.nsc.com> roger@nsc.nsc.com (Roger Thompson) writes:
>
>The world does change.  Some time before the IBM-PC was introduced,
>"someone" suggested anti- software piracy features to Intel.  The
>basic idea was to have dealers trap-door encrypt code, using a

While the details are somewhat hazy now, I believe that HP did sell
some systems with a similar scheme, whereby a system call or dedicated
read-only memory location was available to software to verify that the
software was running on a CPU for which it was licensed.  As I recall,
the scheme was quickly abandoned for a variety of reasons, not least
of which was the potential liability if a legally-licensed user had to
replace the CPU.  I think the scheme was described in an HP Journal
article (c. 1982) describing the design of the system software and
hardware (series 200?).

mike borza <nusip@maccs.uucp>
....it's all so hazy now....

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (01/18/89)

+---------------
| >The world does change.  Some time before the IBM-PC was introduced,
| >"someone" suggested anti- software piracy features to Intel.  The
| >basic idea was to have dealers trap-door encrypt code, using a
| While the details are somewhat hazy now, I believe that HP did sell
| some systems with a similar scheme...
+---------------

Fortune Systems (yes, they still exist, as part of SCI) had a protection
scheme on their Unix systems which allowed user backups. Uninstalled software
was encrypted with a "global" key known only to Fortune. The act of installing
it -- using a protected (gencrypted) "install" program -- caused it to be
decrypted and re-encrypted with a key based on the CPU serial number (the
key was stored in a PAL on the motherboard). Thus once the software had been
"installed" on a given CPU, you could make as many copies as you like (back
it up, put it on a net server, etc.), but it would only run on the specific
CPU it had been "installed" on.

And the "install" procedure was about as user-friendly as one might want.
You stuck a shrink-wrapped disk in (unwrapping it first ;-} ) and selected
"Install New Product" on the "System Management" menu. Each product disk
had a product-specific install script that could ask questions for local
configuration, if needed.

Motherboard changes required moving the (socketed) security PAL. And a
damaged security PAL could be replaced [with a *lot* of questions asked,
as the PALs never broke!] from the factory, based on the serial number of
the CPU. (Oh, and the PAL stored not the actual serial number, but some
encrypted/checksummed function of the serial number.)

Actually, it worked pretty well. There was a way for a large site to buy
CPUs in a "group", and then buy "group-coded" versions of software that
would run on any machine in the group (but priced so high nobody used it).
More importantly, there was a program for 3rd-party software vendors so
they could have their disks "branded" by Fortune to make them one-time
installable. (You didn't *have* to use copy-protection, by the way. Things
compiled on a Fortune would run on any CPU unless specifically "branded".)
Physical security of uninstalled disks was an issue, as clearly any
uninstalled program disk was a single-use "blank check". (There were some
tricks played to prevent copying of uninstalled disks.)

Many people in this group (and others) have expressed disgust with the
whole notion of copy-protection, but Fortune's original business plan was
based (rightly or wrongly) on having a number of proprietary applications
run on their system, and at the time (1980) "software piracy" was estimated
in the trade press to account for as much as 80% of the software actually
being run. So they wanted to protect their development investment.

Of course, they went a bit far, for my taste. They were so scared of somebody
copying their programs that they encrypted/decrypted a protected program if
it ever had to swap out/in. This seriously affected multi-user performance,
to say the least! They forgot that "security" is always a balancing act,
between what it costs the perpetrator to penetrate and what it costs you
(in lost function/convenience) to protect. (*Sheesh!* Look, anybody capable
of picking bits off swap space is capable of using a logic analyzer and
cracking the scheme more straightforwardly!)

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
ATTmail:  !rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

shane@chablis.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (01/19/89)

In article <1804@maccs.McMaster.CA> nusip@maccs.UUCP (Mike Borza) writes:
:In article <5995@polya.Stanford.EDU> andy@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) writes:
:>
:
:While the details are somewhat hazy now, I believe that HP did sell
:some systems with a similar scheme, whereby a system call or dedicated
:read-only memory location was available to software to verify that the
:software was running on a CPU for which it was licensed.  As I recall,
:the scheme was quickly abandoned for a variety of reasons, not least
:of which was the potential liability if a legally-licensed user had to
:replace the CPU.
:
:mike borza <nusip@maccs.uucp>

If I remember correctly, the Apple Lisa used a scheme where, when
software was originally run on a machine, it registered the CPU number.
You then could not use the software on any other Lisa.  Needless to
say, software was forever getting corrupted or breaking in some way,
and a new version couldn't be installed for a while.  (This was in a
semi-public lab.)

No wonder those machines never flew...

Shane Looker   |  Looker@um.cc.umich.edu
America works less, when you say "Union Yes!"

pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) (01/20/89)

In article <24102@amdcad.AMD.COM>, rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) writes:
[...stuff deleted...]
> Fortune Systems (yes, they still exist, as part of SCI) had a protection
> scheme on their Unix systems which allowed user backups. Uninstalled software
> was encrypted with a "global" key known only to Fortune. The act of installing
> it -- using a protected (gencrypted) "install" program -- caused it to be
> decrypted and re-encrypted with a key based on the CPU serial number (the
> key was stored in a PAL on the motherboard). Thus once the software had been
> "installed" on a given CPU, you could make as many copies as you like (back
> it up, put it on a net server, etc.), but it would only run on the specific
> CPU it had been "installed" on.

[...stuff deleted...]
> Motherboard changes required moving the (socketed) security PAL. And a
> damaged security PAL could be replaced [with a *lot* of questions asked,
> as the PALs never broke!] from the factory, based on the serial number of
> the CPU. (Oh, and the PAL stored not the actual serial number, but some
> encrypted/checksummed function of the serial number.)

[...even more stuff deleted...]
> More importantly, there was a program for 3rd-party software vendors so
> they could have their disks "branded" by Fortune to make them one-time
> installable. (You didn't *have* to use copy-protection, by the way. Things
> compiled on a Fortune would run on any CPU unless specifically "branded".)
> Physical security of uninstalled disks was an issue, as clearly any
> uninstalled program disk was a single-use "blank check". (There were some
> tricks played to prevent copying of uninstalled disks.)
[...yet more stuff deleted...]

The AT&T 3B2 line of computers as well as the NCR Towers make use of a
what is generally called a firmware serial number that is kept on the
motherboard.  On the AT&T box, the serial number is recorded in one of
four EPROMS on the motherboard. On the NCR box, it is recorded perhaps
in some other manner.  NCR makes use of it during the installation of the
UNIX operating system, effectively locking the OS to the particular Tower
it was installed on.

While AT&T (from what I understand) doesn't make use of the firmware serial
number in the installation of the UNIX operating system, they do provide
a function call in 'C' which can be used to get, among other things, the
firmware serial number.  This can then be used during the installation of
software to lock the software onto that particular box.  In fact, the
accounting software and 4GL database that we resale does this.

========================================+======================================
Philip A. Gross				|
The Computer Solution Co., Inc.  	|  I haven't heard what I have
1009 Sycamore Square, P.O. Box 716	|  to say about that yet.
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716	   	|
Voice: (804)794-3491		   	|
----------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
INTERNET:	pag%tcsc3b2@wb3ffv.ampr.org
USENET:		...!ames!haven!aplcen!wb3ffv!tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag		(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
	The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.

kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) (01/24/89)

In article <356@tcsc3b2.UUCP> pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) writes:

>The AT&T 3B2 line of computers as well as the NCR Towers make use of a
>what is generally called a firmware serial number that is kept on the
>motherboard.  On the AT&T box, the serial number is recorded in one of
>four EPROMS on the motherboard. On the NCR box, it is recorded perhaps
>in some other manner.  NCR makes use of it during the installation of the
>UNIX operating system, effectively locking the OS to the particular Tower
>it was installed on.

While it is true NCR looks at the serial number on it's Towers when
installing unix, it is extremely simple to bypass this check when
installing unix.  (A couple of comments in one of the shell scripts
and unix can be installed on *any* Tower.)

No I never did this, nor do I condone such actions.  I merely wish to point
out that this type of protection can be bypassed.  (As a disclaimer, I used
to work *extensively* with NCR Towers.  Please don't ask my opinion on NCR
equipment, as I have a bias against them.)

>========================================+======================================
>Philip A. Gross				|
>The Computer Solution Co., Inc.  	|  I haven't heard what I have
>1009 Sycamore Square, P.O. Box 716	|  to say about that yet.
>Midlothian, VA  23113-0716	   	|
>Voice: (804)794-3491		   	|
>----------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
>INTERNET:	pag%tcsc3b2@wb3ffv.ampr.org
>USENET:		...!ames!haven!aplcen!wb3ffv!tcsc3b2!pag
>UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag		(804)794-1514
>ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
>	The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
---

Keane Arase, Systems Programmer
University of Chicago Computing Organizations
Acedemic and Public Computing, Technical Project Support
kean@tank.uchicago.edu
syskean@uchimvs1.uchicago.edu

              **  Please file the standard disclaimers here  **

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (rogerson) (01/24/89)

In article <1546@tank.uchicago.edu> kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) writes:
>In article <356@tcsc3b2.UUCP> pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) writes:
>
>>The AT&T 3B2 line of computers as well as the NCR Towers make use of a
>>what is generally called a firmware serial number that is kept on the

	This is no longer true.  The current NCR Tower series have no such
	protection scheme.  I can't even find one of the old Towers around
	here which did use this protection scheme.  According to one of
	my co-workers it is extremely easy to defeat.

  	Still, such protection schemes are stupid and do not help sales
	of your computers any.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----

pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) (01/28/89)

In article <3377@cbnews.ATT.COM>, djz@cbnews.ATT.COM (Danny Zerkel) writes:
> >The AT&T 3B2 line of computers as well as the NCR Towers make use of a
> >what is generally called a firmware serial number that is kept on the
> >motherboard.  On the AT&T box, the serial number is recorded in one of
> >four EPROMS on the motherboard. ...
> Which works until the system board dies and is replaced by maintanence,
> rendering all your expensive copy protected software useless... :-(

Generally, we insist that the AT&T service tech migrate the EPROMS from
the original system board to the new one, if at all possible.  Otherwise,
the customer merely needs to obtain a new INSTALL diskette to update
his software to the serial number contained in the new set of EPROMS,
otherwise his software don't work.

===================================+===========================================
Philip A. Gross			   |INTERNET:	pag%tcsc3b2@wb3ffv.ampr.org
The Computer Solution Co., Inc.    |USENET:	...!wb3ffv!tcsc3b2!pag
1009 Sycamore Square, P.O. Box 716 |UUCP:	tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716         |ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
Voice: (804)794-3491               |
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)

In article <2373@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM>, rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (rogerson) writes:
> In article <1546@tank.uchicago.edu> kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) writes:
> >In article <356@tcsc3b2.UUCP> pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) writes:
> >
> >>The AT&T 3B2 line of computers as well as the NCR Towers make use of a
> >>what is generally called a firmware serial number that is kept on the
>
>   	Still, such protection schemes are stupid and do not help sales
> 	of your computers any.

The big issue is, does it really matter if the software makes use of
a hardware imbedded serial number.  The software will operate smoothly
and consistently so long as it is retained on the CPU it was installed
on.  The customer generally does not even need to know that their is
any copy protection mechanisms in force.  The customer can make all the
backups of the software they need to, all without violation of the
copyright protection because the software will not operate on any _other_
CPU once it has been installed.

We generally do not inform the customer that there is any copy protection
being used.  However, we do STRONGLY advise them that they should contact
us, along with their AT&T service personnel whenever they experience a
hardware problem which may involve the exchange of the motherboard.
Under such circumstances, their are simple procedures in place which will
allow the software to be 're-installed' on a machine which has had the
motherboard replaced.

Generally if the customer has had to have the motherboard replaced in the
computer, re-installation of licensed software is not a major concern.

===================================+===========================================

In article <424@tcsc3b2.UUCP> pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) writes:

 >The big issue is, does it really matter if the software makes use of
 >a hardware imbedded serial number.  The software will operate smoothly
 >and consistently so long as it is retained on the CPU it was installed
 >on.  The customer generally does not even need to know that their is
 >any copy protection mechanisms in force.  The customer can make all the
 >backups of the software they need to, all without violation of the
 >copyright protection because the software will not operate on any _other_
 >CPU once it has been installed.

 >We generally do not inform the customer that there is any copy protection
 >being used.  However, we do STRONGLY advise them that they should contact
 >us, along with their AT&T service personnel whenever they experience a
 >hardware problem which may involve the exchange of the motherboard.
 >Under such circumstances, their are simple procedures in place which will
 >allow the software to be 're-installed' on a machine which has had the
 >motherboard replaced.

>Generally if the customer has had to have the motherboard replaced in the
>computer, re-installation of licensed software is not a major concern.

We keep spare machines and can swap one into operation in an hour or
two (about the amount of time you spend on hold when you call service..).
I suspect that other sites that consider their computer operations
important do likewise.  I would be *real* unhappy to find out after a
swap that some piece of software didn't work *on purpose*, especially
if I hadn't been told to expect it.

Les Mikesell