[comp.edu] Copyright laws and universities.

mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (02/02/89)

Does anyone have any information about action being taken against colleges
or universities for using bootleg software on their microcomputers?  I seem
to recall an incident at the University of Wisconsin a few years ago.

Please E-Mail.

                     -- Mark Wilkins
                        mwilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Liber) (02/09/89)

In article <115@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mwilkins@jarthur.UUCP (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>Does anyone have any information about action being taken against colleges
>or universities for using bootleg software on their microcomputers?  I seem
>to recall an incident at the University of Wisconsin a few years ago.

Well, I have an old article from PC-Week (it was given to me and the
date/issue # is not on it, so I can't give a real reference) on how
UCLA pirates software by using a legal loophole.  Basically, since UCLA
is a state agency, they are immune from federal copyright laws.

And then we wonder why so many people don't find pirating or cracking
unethical.

Oh, well.  If you want more info, let me know.
--
 _ __	NEVIN ":-)" LIBER  nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM  (312) 979-4751  IH 4F-410
' )  )			 "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed,

mjt@super.ORG (Michael J. Tighe) (02/10/89)

In article <9548@ihlpb.ATT.COM> nevin1@ihlpb.UUCP (55528-Liber,N.J.) writes:

>Does anyone have any information about action being taken against colleges
>or universities for using bootleg software on their microcomputers?  I seem
>to recall an incident at the University of Wisconsin a few years ago.

     The  Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Court has ruled that the
State of California is exempt from federal copyright laws under the
11th Amendment. The complaint was filed by BV Engineering, a software
company. In the original and appeals trials, the university argued
that the 11th Amendment gives state agencies immunity from damage
claims in federal court. The Court agreed that the 11th Amendment
provides immunity. I think this decision was handed down in late
September 1988.

     For more info, see Infoworld, October 10, 1988.

--
-------------
Michael Tighe

In article <5774@super.ORG> mjt@super.UUCP (Michael J. Tighe) writes:

>State of California is exempt from federal copyright laws under the
>11th Amendment. The complaint was filed by BV Engineering, a software

I take that back. I think they are exempt from being sued. In other words,
what they are doing (violating copyright laws) is wrong, but the 11th
Amendment protects them from being sued for it.

Any lawyers out there that can better interpret this?
--
Michael Tighe