[comp.edu] foreign language requirements for PhDs

elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) (04/02/89)

in article <1270@houxs.ATT.COM>, beyer@houxs.ATT.COM (J.BEYER) says:
> Note that little children have learned Japanese, Latin, and other foreign
> to us languages. Not exceptional kids, either, but those present-day kids that
> live in Japan, and the historical kids that lived in the Roman Empire.

I might note that educational psychologists have amassed a great deal
of evidence in favor of the notion that there is a "language window"
during early childhood, during which it is considerably easier to
learn one or more languages than it is later in life. The most famous
case is that of "Genie", a young abused girl raised in a closet away
from language during the formative years. Therapists spent much time
trying to teach her how to speak, and were never successful.

I might also note that Japanese children have 18 years to learn
Japanese, and are totally immersed in the Japanese language. Most of
we Americans are not so "fortunate".

An interesting characteristic of the Chinese character set which the
Japanese use for formal correspondence: the only way to learn them is
via rote memorization. You might consider the ease of rote memorizing
ten thousand little scribbles in the course of a college career. This
may also help one to understand why the Japanese have to work so
#$%#$% hard in school -- they have to learn all these characters, too.
Does this account for the success of the Japanese in getting high
productivity out of their workers? I don't know -- I'm just glad that
we have a semi-phonetic alphabet, and could, if lower-level educators
had the education, use that time for better things (e.g. mathematics
and science studies).

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //  ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849     |