please confirm or deny this and cite a source by e-mail?  Many thanks.
From: martins@fiddler.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Martin Sandman)

     -- Martin

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (04/08/89)

From article <1229@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, by news@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (news):
> I was in a meeting last week and it was asserted that CS enrollment, both
> BS and CS, was down all over.  Is this so?  Any idea why?  Would someone
> please confirm or deny this and cite a source by e-mail?  Many thanks.
> From: martins@fiddler.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Martin Sandman)

See the 11/27/87 issue of __The Wall Street Journal__ for an article by
Paul Duke entitled "Jobs Go Unfilled as Fewer Students Show Interest in
Computer Science."  The focus of the article is on freshman career
preferences.  In 1982, 8.8% aspired to careers as computer programmers or
computer analysts; in 1986, the number fell to 3.5%.  In 1986, 4.5% wanted
to major in computer science; in 1986, the number fell to 1.9%.  These
facts don't do justice to the article, which tries to explain the downturn.
WALT

--
CSNet   : maner@research1.bgsu.edu             | 419/372-8719
InterNet: maner@research1.bgsu.edu (129.1.1.2) | BGSU CS Dept

doug@bear.cis.ohio-state.edu (Doug Kerr) (04/10/89)

In article <3982@bgsuvax.UUCP> maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>From article <1229@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, by news@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (news):
>> I was in a meeting last week and it was asserted that CS enrollment, both
>> BS and CS, was down all over.

>See the 11/27/87 issue of __The Wall Street Journal__ for an article by
>Paul Duke entitled "Jobs Go Unfilled as Fewer Students Show Interest in
>Computer Science."  The focus of the article is on freshman career
>preferences.  In 1982, 8.8% aspired to careers as computer programmers or
>computer analysts; in 1986, the number fell to 3.5%.

Another note, 8.8% was of the same order of magnitude as wanted to
major in all of Engineering, or in Business.  It was more than double
the percentage of just a few years earlier.  Thus I'd say the current
demand is much more reasonable than the demand of 5 years ago.  We
might actually be able to teach all the qualified students who want
into computer science now. :-)  We sure couldn't a couple of years
ago.

Here at Ohio State, at least, the demand at the graduate level is
actually up, however.

-=-
 Douglas S. Kerr, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 doug@cis.ohio-state.edu                    614/292-1519
 ...!{pyramid,killer}!osu-cis!cis.ohio-state.edu!doug