[comp.edu] Ignorance

lyman@eos.UUCP (Lyman Taylor) (04/28/89)

In article <Apr.19.01.52.19.1989.7936@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

>the sad answer is no.  We don't care.  We just want to fight a war on
>drugs in white suburbia when the real drug problem is in the ghetto.
>--
> Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
>            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

	I don't know whether to attribute this quote to ignorance or racism (
although the two are often not mutually exclusive ).

	The "ghetto" is NOT the source of the drug problem in America.
However, it is a highly visible symptom of a prevasive problem.

	I'm sorry but Mr. Bennett is correctly when he aludes to the fact that
there is a drup problem in "white suburbia".   Just look at the economics of
the drug trade in this country.  It is a MULTI-BILLION dollar industry.

	So my rhetorical question to you is where do you think all those ghetto
people get those BILLIONS of dollars to pay for all those drugs.   Yes, there
are plenty of "junkies" in the ghetto.  However, they are a minority NOT the
majority.  ( and let's leave the bullsh*t behind about people on welfare having
mink coats and Caddys.  People in the "ghetto" are poor; not lacking in
 character, values, or anything else, other than wealth  ).    This leaves
BILLIONS of dollars  of drug purchases unaccounted for.

	So who in America has lots of disposible income ( comparatively so)??
That's right "white suburbia".   It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to find drug
use on Wall Street, big business, etc.  (  locales not dominated by low incomed
peoples ).  This is further evidenced by the Bloods and the Crips, on the West
Coast, expanding into such ghetto bastions of Portand, Seattle, etc. where they
sell lots of crack/cocaine to finance themselves.  These gangs are franchasing
themselves like McDonald's (  I don't think that McDonald's is a ghetto
problem, do you? ).  There is a demand for drugs THROUGHOUT America and the
gangs and other drugs merchants from the "ghetto"  are
just rising to meet the demand. Their motivation is very similar to your
average corporate raider,  MONEY!

	I will agree that the "ghetto" is highly visible for several reasons:

	1)  Historically,  America has pervaded  racist imagery. The result
		being that almost
		all Americans associate "drug, violence, crime" with the word
		ghetto and lower socioeconomic groups.  The propoganda campaign
		continues to exist.

	2) The journalism in this country is largely based on sensationalism.
		Americans want to see someone else's problems not there own.
		Therefore,   "I don't want to hear about problems like the ones
		on T.V shows. " i.e. I want to be entertained not informed.
		Which brings me to a related point.

	3)  Washington D.C. is getting alot of press because of all of the
		shootings taking place there.  However, most of these shootings
		are taking place between drug DEALERS not users.  This is a
		display of CAPTIALISM with no values constraining behavoir NOT
		of crazed drug users killing one another.

	   Additionally, just because these dealers are primarily located in
		the
		"ghetto" does not mean that this is where the majority (dollar
		wise, i.e. the people they make the most money off of )  of
		their clients are located here also and there are good reasons
		why they wouldn't want these "pushers" to live in their
		nieghborhoods.

	The ONLY way the government is going gain some remblance of a control
over the drug problem this country faces is to take measures to reduce the
demand for this stuff.  Until it does, you can fill up all the jails you
can build but there will always someone else to take that drug dealers place (
as long a this country persists in trying to regulate certain peoples to an
underclass citizenship, it makes sense, in a twisted way, for these people to
enter the drug trade ).  It basic economics, if you reduce demand the
the supply curve will drop as well.  This is magnitudes easier to say than do.

	Drugs are not the ghetto's problem, they are AMERICA's problem.  [ If
you have noticed the drug rehab programs in the suburbs seem to doing a lot of
business nowadays ]

	Perpetration of racist ignorance will not solve anything!

Lyman S. Taylor					lyman@eos.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center		                or
						    more verbose
				...{uunet,hplabs,decwrl}!ames!eos!lyman