[comp.edu] "Shortage" of American Grad Students

tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (05/14/89)

One of the latest schemes for extracting more money from
the government by public universities is the "shortage of
American grad students" scam.

The claim is that by diverting more money from tax payers
to state supported institutions this problem will somehow
be solved.

Even statists can't escape economic law. So let's analyze
the situation.

First, there is no shortage of applicants for admission to
grad school, in fact there is a surplus. Since public
universities are directly financed by the state to a large
degree, the costs to the university of educating the student
are not fully reflected in the tuition and fees the student
must pay for his education. In such circumstances, it would
be surprising if there weren't a surplus of applicants.

Since market forces don't keep the quantity of students desiring
to get into grad school in balance with the space available,
various non-economic schemes have evolved for eliminating
applicants, such as test scores, academic history, racial
quotas, and so on.

Now enter foreign students into the equation. Americans are
outnumbered by roughly 20 to 1 in population when compared
to the rest of the world. Since we allow foreign students
to come to American universities, if foreign students were
given a subsidy to come here it would be highly surprising
if the foreign students weren't able to score higher than the
American students on admissions tests. In fact, that is what
happens; foreign students pay higher fees than American students,
but not the full costs of their education. Since American
universities are of higher quality on average than the norm,
worldwide, foreign students have a strong incentive to come
here to study.

This is not a criticism of foreign students, certainly they ought
to act in their own best interests. It is a criticism of using
tax payers money to subsidize American institutions, allowing
them to escape the forces of economic competition. Certainly
the foreign students here are better on average than the
American students. When you are picking the cream of the crop
from a worldwide population of 6 billion (or whatever) to
compete with the cream of the crop from a population of
300 million (or whatever) it would be very strange if the
smaller group could compete on even terms.

So what is the way out? End direct subsidies of American
public schools. Since education is a public good, and students
have limited financial resources, you can retain the benefits
of education by indirect financing through tuition tax credits
for education, and education vouchers, allowing students to
choose for themselves which schools best serve their educational
needs. By allowing market competition to come into play, public
costs of supporting education will be minimized. Students will
no longer have to put up with an abusive educational aristocracy
that treats students like inferiors, while in fact this aristocracy
feeds itself on the tax money of these same students and their
parents. When these aristocrats have to earn their money by
serving the students, you can bet they will change their tune.

What is likely to happen? The self-interested class of state
financed educators and bureaucrats will continue the process
of myth-making and obfuscation, designed to perpetuate their
state subsidy. Endless programs for educational reform will
be introduced, none of which will work as long as economic law
is ignored. The tax payers will continue to support a class
of academic parasites that pretends to be a noble elite serving
lofty ends, while sucking the life-blood out of the tax payers.

In article <29168@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>One of the latest schemes for extracting more money from
>the government by public universities is the "shortage of
>American grad students" scam.

Ted, you're paranoid.  Get help.  Please.  I'm serious.

>First, there is no shortage of applicants for admission to
>grad school, in fact there is a surplus. Since public

There's a surplus of everything, but you can't eat raw or spoiled meat
and you can't use idiots to teach college or conduct research.

>universities are directly financed by the state to a large
>degree, the costs to the university of educating the student
>are not fully reflected in the tuition and fees the student
>must pay for his education. In such circumstances, it would
>be surprising if there weren't a surplus of applicants.

Suddenly you get subjunctive about your thesis.  Are you sure you
weren't just blowing smoke when you stated that thesis?

>Since market forces don't keep the quantity of students desiring
>to get into grad school in balance with the space available,
>various non-economic schemes have evolved for eliminating
>applicants, such as test scores, academic history, racial
>quotas, and so on.

Yeah.  It couldn't possibly be true that those tests are used
to grade applicants on the pertinent aspects of the job, e.g.,
knowledge and academic ability; nor that racial quotas exist to
provide a corrective impetus to prejudicially imbalanced educational
achievement among the races...

No, if the school can't admit the first fifty to get the application to
them, correctly filled out or not, then the school must be running a
scam.

(Reread the line above about "Ted, you're paranoid" and add to it
"you're also schizophrenic.")

>Now enter foreign students into the equation. Americans are
>outnumbered by roughly 20 to 1 in population when compared
>to the rest of the world. Since we allow foreign students
>to come to American universities, if foreign students were
>given a subsidy to come here it would be highly surprising
>if the foreign students weren't able to score higher than the
>American students on admissions tests. In fact, that is what
>happens; foreign students pay higher fees than American students,
>but not the full costs of their education. Since American
>universities are of higher quality on average than the norm,
>worldwide, foreign students have a strong incentive to come
>here to study.

This last sentence is absolutely true.  I'm proud of you, Ted.
Unfortunately, you make no sense up to that point, nor do any of the
preceding sentences add to that point.  Foreign students are almost
always fully funded by their home country.

>This is not a criticism of foreign students, certainly they ought
>to act in their own best interests. It is a criticism of using
>tax payers money to subsidize American institutions, allowing
>them to escape the forces of economic competition. Certainly

Nope.  The money doesn't just show up on the doorstep.  It gets there
through grants for research, work-study, et cetera.

>the foreign students here are better on average than the
>American students. When you are picking the cream of the crop
>from a worldwide population of 6 billion (or whatever) to
>compete with the cream of the crop from a population of
>300 million (or whatever) it would be very strange if the
>smaller group could compete on even terms.
>
>So what is the way out? End direct subsidies of American
>public schools.

The foreigners, who would be here regardless, are somehow benefitting
from it, so destroy the system so that only those who can pay full-freight
are allowed to attend?  That leaves the opportunistically wealthy, and
the foreign.  Forget any chance of increasing US student enrollements.
Death to Equal Opportunity.  Heck, so what if eliminating graduate
students leads to an overall reduction of the quality of undergraduate
education?  (You think yer perfessers were overworked and underresponsive?
Just imagine if they had to do _all_ the grading, discussing, tutoring,
ad nauseum...)

>Since education is a public good, and students
>have limited financial resources, you can retain the benefits
>of education by indirect financing through tuition tax credits
>for education, and education vouchers, allowing students to
>choose for themselves which schools best serve their educational
>needs. By allowing market competition to come into play, public
>costs of supporting education will be minimized. Students will

No go, jo blo.  Market competition exists hokay-fine among private
universities.  So, what do they do?  They all fight like hell to see
who is the "most exclusive" and "most expensive", making it a badge of
honor.  Since it attracts the prestige-points on the TV, it's solid
gold in the admissions office.

>no longer have to put up with an abusive educational aristocracy
>that treats students like inferiors, while in fact this aristocracy
>feeds itself on the tax money of these same students and their
>parents. When these aristocrats have to earn their money by
>serving the students, you can bet they will change their tune.

Thanks for the title.  Any land go with that, my emperor?
And while the landed gentry are scraping the bottom of their
well-greased barrels to come up with the scratch to make tuition
for Millard Featherstoneshaugh III to go to State U. next term,
just where is Freddie "Crip" Jackson going to find a city college
with two books in its library that will enroll a kid with a GED?

>What is likely to happen? The self-interested class of state
>financed educators and bureaucrats will continue the process
>of myth-making and obfuscation, designed to perpetuate their
>state subsidy. Endless programs for educational reform will
>be introduced, none of which will work as long as economic law
>is ignored. The tax payers will continue to support a class
>of academic parasites that pretends to be a noble elite serving
>lofty ends, while sucking the life-blood out of the tax payers.

What is likely to happen is that 60% of the higher-educational capacity
of the United States will disappear, eliminating not only 60% of the
foreigner-brought tuition money, but 60% of the undergraduate
enrollment, and 90% of the highschool-hopefuls.  If you think the US
has a rotten educational system now, just wait until you've removed all
the incentive to perform in grades K-12.  What we need is an _increase_
in university funding, an _increase_ in enrollment, and an _increase_
in the educational opportunity for an undereducated population.

How about some ideas on how we can get this increase from somewhere
other than the overstretched federal budget, or the stripped-clean
pockets of the students' families (which is where the shortfall
was when we went to government funding in the first place)?

				--Blair
				  "I hear Libertarians rarely eat
				   their young, but fight to the
				   death for their right to do so..."

elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) (05/15/89)

in article <29168@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) says:
> One of the latest schemes for extracting more money from
> the government by public universities is the "shortage of
> American grad students" scam.

Yawn. Looking at where Tom Tedrick is posting the bulletin from tells
the whole story. Hate to tell you this, Tom, but most public
universities are NOT like UCB, which may or may not be as bad as you
say (but that's irrelevant). I attend one of those "greedy bastard
public universities" you so decry, one that's actively recruiting
foreign students to its graduate CS program. Unlike UCB, we don't get
to choose the cream of the crop. From what I've seen, USL's graduate
CS program will accept just about anybody who has the foggiest chance
of succeeding in the curriculum... but American grad students are
still in the minority. Without the foreign grad students, USL's
research efforts would be severely crippled, although instruction
probably would suffer little (most of the grad students who deal
directly with the undergrad student body seem to be American-born).

Go take your ivory tower conspiracies and retreat back to your own
personal tower at Berkeley. The blue-collar public universities of the
U.S. don't need that kind of hysteria-mongering... they already have
enough trouble getting adequate funding and sufficient enrollments of
talented students (who, naturally, would rather be going to MIT or
Berkeley).

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //  ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849     |

johnm@uts.amdahl.com (John Murray) (05/16/89)

In article <29168@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>                       . . . . Since American
> universities are of higher quality on average than the norm,
> worldwide, foreign students have a strong incentive to come
> here to study.

Although there are undoubtedly some very good American universities,
this assertion may not be completely accurate. One only has to
compare the admissions standards for a lot of US schools with those of
other countries to see that standards expected in the US are quite
low in many cases.

The fact that such a large proportion of Americans go to university
(40% ??) is an indication of this differing standard, especially when
compared to nations where education is heavily subsidised or even free.

- John Murray (My own opinions, etc.)

matloff@mole.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (05/17/89)

*********************   NOTE   *************************

Before beginning, I should say "where I am coming from."
I am in charge of Computer Science graduate admissions
here at UC Davis.

Because of this, and because of the fact that this newsgroup
is comp.edu, I will limit my remarks to Computer Science
grad students, though most of my remarks can be extended.

In article <29168@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) writes:

>One of the latest schemes for extracting more money from
>the government by public universities is the "shortage of
>American grad students" scam.

As others have pointed out in response to your posting, it's
not a "scam" at all.  The number of Americans who are interested
in grad school is appallingly small.

>Even statists can't escape economic law. So let's analyze
>the situation.

Whenever I see someone who feels that he/she can explain all
aspects of life through economics, I do get a little suspicious...

>Now enter foreign students into the equation. Americans are
>outnumbered by roughly 20 to 1 in population when compared
>to the rest of the world.

The "rest of the world" is not what's relevant.  The FACT is
that foreign grad students are primarily from only a few
countries, mainly China, Taiwan and India.  And if you then
want to say, "Yes, but the combined size of China and India
is X times that of the U.S.", you would again have a fallacious
argument.  The bulk of the populations in those two countries
don't grow up in an environment that leads to graduate study.

>Since American
>universities are of higher quality on average than the norm,
>worldwide, foreign students have a strong incentive to come
>here to study.

Ironically, in spite of your obsession with economics, you've
missed the *real* economic aspect here:  Most foreign students come
here NOT for the quality of the schools, but rather because after
graduation they can be hired by American employers at salaries
which are much higher than what they can get in their home countries.
Since American employment also entails sponsorship for American
immigration, which leads to better economic opportunities for
other members of the foreign students' families, there is indeed
a very strong economic incentive to come to the U.S. for grad
school.  But it's not the incentive of quality of school  --  it's
the incentive of a better economic future.

In fact, if American employers were willing to hire foreigners
**directly** from their home countries, i.e. without first
attending an American university, you'd see a big drop in the
number of foreign grad students too.

   Norm

In article <2857@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>Foreign students are almost
>always fully funded by their home country.

At least for CS, EE, etc., this is NOT the case.  In fact, even those
who do have support offered to them by their home government often
refuse it, so as not to be obligated to return after graduation.

   Norm

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (Will Bralick) (05/17/89)

)
)>Foreign students are almost
)>always fully funded by their home country.
)
)At least for CS, EE, etc., this is NOT the case.  In fact, even those
)who do have support offered to them by their home government often
)refuse it, so as not to be obligated to return after graduation.

Shucks, and I thought we were exporting education.  :-)

Regards,

--
Will Bralick                          |  ... when princes think more of
     wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil   |  luxury than of arms, they lose

880716a@aucs.UUCP (Dave Astels) (05/17/89)

I'm currently working on a Bachelor of Computer Science at the above said
university (in Canada).  I've just finished my first year here, although
it consisted of various level courses, with mostly second year CS (and a
fourth year project course thrown in).  I got 5 A+ & and A, my CGPA is 4.24
(A = 4.00, A+ = 4.33).  I plan to go on to Master's & Phd studies.  I am
wondering what the possibilities (and fees, etc) would be generally like
if I wanted to try to get into an American university with a strong AI
program (in Natural Language) such as Yale, MIT, Stanford...
I have two more years here, but I am interested in finding this out so I
can have as many options open as possible.

-Dave

matloff@mole.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (05/18/89)

In article <1104@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Will Bralick) writes:
>In article <24490@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matloff@heather.ucdavis.edu (Norm Matloff) writes:
>)In article <2857@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>)>Foreign students are almost
>)>always fully funded by their home country.

>)At least for CS, EE, etc., this is NOT the case.  In fact, even those
>)who do have support offered to them by their home government often
>)refuse it, so as not to be obligated to return after graduation.

>Shucks, and I thought we were exporting education.  :-)

Anyone who has spent some time in the Silicon Valley would add a lot
more :-) marks.  In fact, there are so many engineers who came to the
U.S. from China or Taiwan originally as students that there are many
companies in which Mandarin, not English, is the main language spoken.

During the 8 or 9 years I've been teaching CS here at Davis, almost
no foreign students have returned to their home countries.  NONE of
the students from Taiwan has returned; NONE of the students from
China has returned; only 2 of the students from Hong Kong have
returned; NONE of the students from India have returned.

TIME magazine said that 90% of the Taiwanese students stay in the
U.S. and become immigrants after graduation.  But even this is
misleadingly low, because it includes the less-employable fields
like sociology or history.  For the CS, EE, etc. majors, the
proportion is very near 100%.

   Norm

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (Will Bralick) (05/18/89)

In article <24520@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matloff@heather.ucdavis.edu (Norm Matloff) writes:
)
)During the 8 or 9 years I've been teaching CS here at Davis, almost
)no foreign students have returned to their home countries.  NONE of
)the students from Taiwan has returned; NONE of the students from
)China has returned; only 2 of the students from Hong Kong have
)returned; NONE of the students from India have returned.
)

So what is this about a shortage of American grad students?  These folks
are as American as my grandparents.  BTW the original "shortage" posting
was _not_ by Norm Matloff ... just thought I'd make that clear.

Regards,

--
Will Bralick                          |  If we desire to defeat the enemy,
     wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil   |  we must proportion our efforts to

shankar@pompeii.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth) (05/19/89)

In article <29168@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) writes:

>First, there is no shortage of applicants for admission to
>grad school, in fact there is a surplus. Since public
>universities are directly financed by the state to a large
>degree, the costs to the university of educating the student
>must pay for his education. In such circumstances, it would
>be surprising if there weren't a surplus of applicants.

And taken to its logical conclusion, there would be never a
shortage of anything subsidized by the government.  Never mind
that there have been and are shortages of educated people of
all forms.

>happens; foreign students pay higher fees than American students,
>but not the full costs of their education. Since American
>universities are of higher quality on average than the norm,
>worldwide, foreign students have a strong incentive to come
>here to study.

Foreign students pay the same fees as any out of state resident
at state schools, and the same as all students at private schools.
Also, the strong incentive is not for the "superior American
universities", but the more affluent American lifestyle that
follows graduation in America and getting a job here.  Universities
around the world are as good as American universities (except
perhaps for the facilities), and often better in more mathematical
areas.

> [stuff about eliminating funding of education, and having vouchers]
>needs. By allowing market competition to come into play, public
>costs of supporting education will be minimized.

Competition *does exist at the college level, particularly in grad
school.  There are few who go to grad school at their home state
school, in engineering and computer science.  And there are numerous
good private schools.
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

matloff@bizet.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (05/19/89)

In article <1108@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Will Bralick) writes:
>In article <24520@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matloff@heather.ucdavis.edu (Norm Matloff) writes:

*)During the 8 or 9 years I've been teaching CS here at Davis, almost
*)no foreign students have returned to their home countries.  NONE of
*)the students from Taiwan has returned; NONE of the students from
*)China has returned; only 2 of the students from Hong Kong have
*)returned; NONE of the students from India have returned.

>So what is this about a shortage of American grad students?  These folks
>are as American as my grandparents.

You misunderstood.

A "foreign student" is a student who holds an F-1 or J-1 visa.

An "American student" is a student who is either a U.S. Citizen
or U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. green-card holder).

So there was nothing in my comments to characterize Americans of
foreign ancestry as "non-American."  By the way, my father was an
immigrant from Eastern Europe, and my wife is an immigrant from
Hong Kong.  I certainly consider both of them as AMERICANS.

    Norm

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (Will Bralick) (05/19/89)

In article <24594@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matloff@iris.ucdavis.edu (Norm Matloff) writes:
>In article <1108@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Will Bralick) writes:
>>In article <24520@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matloff@heather.ucdavis.edu (Norm Matloff) writes:
)
)*)During the 8 or 9 years I've been teaching CS here at Davis, almost
)*)no foreign students have returned to their home countries.  NONE of
)*)the students from Taiwan has returned; NONE of the students from
)*)China has returned; only 2 of the students from Hong Kong have
)*)returned; NONE of the students from India have returned.
)
)>So what is this about a shortage of American grad students?  These folks
)>are as American as my grandparents.
)
)You misunderstood.

I also expressed myself poorly.  The point that I was trying to make
was that if people come to the US and pursue graduate studies and then
stay and become US citizens, then, while they may not have been American
citizens during their programs, the net effect is the same, i.e. another
American PhD or MS or whatever.

)
)A "foreign student" is a student who holds an F-1 or J-1 visa.
)
)An "American student" is a student who is either a U.S. Citizen
)or U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. green-card holder).

Point taken.

)
)So there was nothing in my comments to characterize Americans of
)foreign ancestry as "non-American."  By the way, my father was an
)immigrant from Eastern Europe, and my wife is an immigrant from
)Hong Kong.  I certainly consider both of them as AMERICANS.
)

Yes.  There was nothing in your comments to characterize Americans of
foreign ancestry as "non-American."  I didn't mean to imply that there
was.  I apologize for having failed to express myself clearly.

Regards,

--

matloff@tinman.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (05/20/89)

In article <1112@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Will Bralick) writes:
>In article <24594@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matloff@iris.ucdavis.edu (Norm Matloff) writes:
>>In article <1108@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Will Bralick) writes:
>>>In article <24520@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matloff@heather.ucdavis.edu (Norm Matloff) writes:

>)*)During the 8 or 9 years I've been teaching CS here at Davis, almost
>)*)no foreign students have returned to their home countries.  NONE of
>)*)the students from Taiwan has returned; NONE of the students from
>)*)China has returned; only 2 of the students from Hong Kong have
>)*)returned; NONE of the students from India have returned.

>)>So what is this about a shortage of American grad students?  These folks
>)>are as American as my grandparents.

>)You misunderstood.

*I also expressed myself poorly.  The point that I was trying to make
*was that if people come to the US and pursue graduate studies and then
*stay and become US citizens, then, while they may not have been American
*citizens during their programs, the net effect is the same, i.e. another
*American PhD or MS or whatever.

Right!!!!  I have tried to explain this to the California State
Legislature, which has demanded that all UC campuses hold foreign
enrollment in engineering down to 28%.  But they just don't understand.
If only they could spend some time in the Silicon Valley and see how
much it is depending on engineers who originally came to the U.S. as
foreign students, then maybe these legislators would get the point.
Meanwhile, they're the same idiots who keep complaining that we can't
compete with Japan in electronics!

    Norm