[comp.edu] wanted: book to learn C++

jon@hanauma (Jon Claerbout) (06/19/89)

I'm looking for a good book to use to learn C++.
I find that Stroustrup's book does not begin from the elementary
and progress steadily towards the abstruse.  (Perhaps I have been
spoiled by Kernighan's books.)
	I recently read Roger Session's book "Reusable data structures
for C", a book that I found very helpful.  If anyone knows the author's
email address, I'll send him a few typos.

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (06/26/89)

In article <3040@portia.Stanford.EDU> jon@hanauma (Jon Claerbout) writes:
>I'm looking for a good book to use to learn C++.
>I find that Stroustrup's book does not begin from the elementary
>and progress steadily towards the abstruse.  (Perhaps I have been
>spoiled by Kernighan's books.)

I strongly recommend Stanley Lippman's "C++ Primer" for all levels of
C++ programmers.  I have just finished the book, and am planning to write
a detailed review for the net in the next few weeks so I don't want
to go into too much detail.  However, I will say that what I like
most about the book is that it has a clear, gradual approach to
the concepts of OOP and how C++ is designed to satisfy these conceptual
requirements.

The reason that I think that it is good for all levels of C++ programmers
is that material from release 2.0 is tightly interwoven with the
text.  Even an experienced C++ programmer would benefit from reading the
detailed "multiple inheritance: theory and pratice" parts.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com