[comp.edu] What do the terms METRIC and MEASURE mean?

sheppards@gtephx.UUCP (Scott Sheppard) (06/20/89)

We here at AGCS want to be hip. A while back we started using
the terms metric and measure specifically:

   metric - a data item (e.g. widget, hour)

   measure - a combination of one or more metrics that
             reflects the attributes of an entity
             (e.g. widgets per hour)

We recently had an interchange with another company and they
used these terms exactly the opposite. As I said in my intro,
we here at AGCS want to be hip - we want to use these terms
as they are known in the industry. Does anyone know of an
IEEE or ACM definition of these terms: metrics and measure?

--
Scott Sheppard
  UUCP: ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!gtephx!sheppards

hull@dinl.uucp (Jeff Hull) (06/22/89)

In article <43f1e8da.17e7e@gtephx.UUCP>
sheppards@gtephx.UUCP (Scott Sheppard) writes:
>   metric - a data item (e.g. widget, hour)
>
>   measure - a combination of one or more metrics that
>             reflects the attributes of an entity
>             (e.g. widgets per hour)

A metric is a methodology for quantifying the attributes of something.
For example, length is a metric for quantifying the physical size of
an object.  In your example above, widget is not a metric but hour is
(a metric of duration).  A set of metrics which identifies all attributes
of interest of an item is said to completely define the item.  When
you have obtained values for each metric of the set, you have
completely described the item.

Some people use the term measure (as in, to have the measure of an
item) to indicate that they have completely described the item.  I do
not know if this is a standard usage of the term.

--
Blessed Be,

Jeff Hull         ...!ncar!dinl!hull
1544 S. Vaughn Circle	303-750-3538	It was great when it all begaaaaan,
Aurora, CO 80012			I was a regular <USENET> faaaan, ....

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (06/24/89)

From article <43f1e8da.17e7e@gtephx.UUCP>, by sheppards@gtephx.UUCP (Scott Sheppard):
> We here at AGCS want to be hip. A while back we started using
> the terms metric and measure ...

This is what dictionaries are for. (They're real hip.) It will tell you that a "metric"
is a standard of measurement. (For example, a formula to compute a distance between
points in an abstract mathematical space.)

To "measure" is to apply the standard.

So it's a little circular... You get the idea.

A "measure" is a portion. The result of measuring is a "measurement", although you will
hear the word "measure" used to mean "measurement".

A distance metric is supposed to have the "triangle property", which says that
if you add up distances along a connected path, you never get less than the distance
between the ends of the path.

Now a word of warning. The dictionary does not always do the trick because computer jargon
gets it all mucked up. For example, look up "synchronous" and you'll find that it means
exactly the opposite of its meaning in software jargon. And the dictionary definition
of "paradigm" (last year's most popular buzz-word) bears no resemblance to what the
dictionary says it means.  But I still recommend the dictionary, because it also makes an
excellent bookend or paperweight.

... Now let's play computer Jeopardy ...

I'll take computer jargon for $200.

The answer is, "in the jargon of computer testing, it means to measure a voltage
over a very brief period of time."

"Strobe, er... I mean, What is strobe?"

bwhite@umb.umb.edu (Bill White) (06/25/89)

In article <5813@goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>From article <43f1e8da.17e7e@gtephx.UUCP>, by sheppards@gtephx.UUCP (Scott Sheppard):
>> We here at AGCS want to be hip. A while back we started using
>> the terms metric and measure ...
>>

>This is what dictionaries are for. (They're real hip.) It will tell you that a "metric"
>is a standard of measurement. (For example, a formula to compute a distance between
>points in an abstract mathematical space.)
>
>To "measure" is to apply the standard.

I'm sorry, I'm confused.  In analysis, a measure is an assignment of
a number to each measurable set (whatever that is.) Doesn't that make
it a standard of measurement?  Or, for another example, isn't a quart
measure (don't sit on it) used to measure volume (in quarts?) doesn't
that make it a standard of measure?

					Peace,
					Bill White
P.S.