[comp.edu] Questions about the history of computing...

bts@evergreen.cs.unc.edu (Bruce Smith) (08/07/89)

When people talk about the history of computing or the history
of computer science, the discussion is usually about hardware.
Some AI folks talk about philosophical traditions and, some NA
folks talk about mathematics before computers.  What about the
history (more generally) of software before computers?

For instance, how did people produce tables of functions?  I'm
not asking whether they used Taylor series, but rather how did
they manage the computations.  Did someone shut a mathematician
in a closet and not let him out 'til it was finished?  Or, did
they hire an army of clerks and give each instructions on what
numbers to add, what numbers to multiply and to whom to pass on
their portion of the answer?

Other examples might include "ancient" business data processing,
etc.  Algorithms for simple arithmetic don't count (I think), as
once learned most people forget they're executing a program and
develop personal variations on the general methods.  I want to
focus on people "mechanically" executing non-trivial programs,
before computers.

I'd appreciate any (fairly simple) references on this subject.
Maybe about the level of Scientific American's history articles.
This is posted to a couple of education newsgroups, because one
reason for asking is to find material suitable for introductory
CS courses.  It's posted to sci.math, because this is probably
just as much a question in the history of (applied) mathematics.

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (08/07/89)

In article <9086@thorin.cs.unc.edu> bts@evergreen.cs.unc.edu (Bruce Smith) writes:

> I'd appreciate any (fairly simple) references on this subject.
> Maybe about the level of Scientific American's history articles.
> This is posted to a couple of education newsgroups, because one
> reason for asking is to find material suitable for introductory
> CS courses.  It's posted to sci.math, because this is probably
> just as much a question in the history of (applied) mathematics.

I can't supply references--not exactly anyway--but I remember reading
years ago that the Romans had worked out different algorithms for
multiplying different numbers.  They had special matrix-like
algorithms.  i.e. recall they did not use Hindu-Arabic numerals.
The best I can do for reference is that I think the book had something
to do with the 'Great Books of the Western World' series.

regards
mark
--

 hubey@OSultrix.montclair.edu       	hubey@pilot.njin.net
 hubey@apollo.montclair.edu 		VOICE:  201-893-5269

dmcallis@bambam.UUCP (David McAllister) (08/08/89)

From article <9086@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, by bts@evergreen.cs.unc.edu (Bruce Smith):
> When people talk about the history of computing or the history
> of computer science, the discussion is usually about hardware.
> Some AI folks talk about philosophical traditions and, some NA
> folks talk about mathematics before computers.  What about the
> history (more generally) of software before computers?

I read a Scientific American article recently from a few years back (July 1987?)
about the history of the U.S. Census Bureau. I think it's exactly the stuff
you're looking for. It had information on their hardware, things like mechanical
card counters, etc., and it also described algorithms that people used to get
whatever results they needed. A perfect example of the kind of thing you're
interested in is the radix sort, a software algorithm modeled after a physical
process. To sort a stack of cards, often computer punched cards, there were
slots and holes punched in the top of the cards that rods could be slid through,
pulling up cards with holes and leaving those with slots. Then the cards on the
rod were placed in a group behind the other ones and the rod was slid into the
next hole. This process continued through all the holes, sorting all the cards
according to the binary number in the slots and holes in the card. This same
process is used for the nlog(n) computer radix sort.

--
David McAllister, SLC, Utah        | "Slow neutrons at play"
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.  |

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (08/08/89)

In article <9086@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, bts@evergreen.cs.unc.edu (Bruce Smith) writes:
> When people talk about the history of computing or the history
> of computer science, the discussion is usually about hardware.
> Some AI folks talk about philosophical traditions and, some NA
> folks talk about mathematics before computers.  What about the
> history (more generally) of software before computers?
>
> For instance, how did people produce tables of functions?  I'm
> not asking whether they used Taylor series, but rather how did
> they manage the computations.  Did someone shut a mathematician
> in a closet and not let him out 'til it was finished?  Or, did
> they hire an army of clerks and give each instructions on what
> numbers to add, what numbers to multiply and to whom to pass on
> their portion of the answer?

Essentially the algorithm was designed and then either done serially
or in parallel.  Little was passed on from one person to another, other
than tables of coefficients, etc.  We know that at least one of the
early tables of common logarithms was done by computing 10^(p/q), q
a power of 2, to sufficient accuracy, and then using interpolation.

The Ptolemaic school, around 2000 years ago, computed tables of the
trigonometric functions by successive bisection and the addition
formulas.  If the quadrant is divided into 96 parts, no interpolation
is needed.

Other tables were computed by power series, etc.  Do you really think
that computational procedures started with computers?  There are very
few computational methods which arose AC, and most of them would have
been appreciated BC, where C stands for computer.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (08/08/89)

>In article <9086@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, bts@evergreen.cs.unc.edu (Bruce Smith) writes:
> For instance, how did people produce tables of functions?  I'm
> not asking whether they used Taylor series, but rather how did
> they manage the computations.  Did someone shut a mathematician
> in a closet and not let him out 'til it was finished?  ...

Well, actually yes!  At least one mathematician, it was either Euler or Gauss,
paid an autistic savant to compute tables of logarithms.  It benefited both
the mathematican and the savant.  The mathematician had better things to do
than compute tables of logarithms, and the savant, well, he couldn't do much
of anything else.  I read the tables were used for years, and had several
decimal places of accuracy, and only minor and rare errors were ever found
in them.

Also there were programmable weaving looms years before Countess Ada Lovelace
and the Analytic Engine.  The programs were encoded by holes on cards.  I think
the looms were called Jaquard looms.  This is an example of software before
computers (feminists in the audience should note for future reference, the
first programmer was not a woman! :-)
--
Larry Cipriani, att!cbnews!lvc or lvc@cbnews.att.com

aed@j.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Hartley) (08/08/89)

In article <9086@thorin.cs.unc.edu> bts@evergreen.cs.unc.edu (Bruce Smith) writes:
> When people talk about the history of computing or the history
> of computer science, the discussion is usually about hardware....
>
> For instance, how did people produce tables of functions?  I'm
> not asking whether they used Taylor series, but rather how did
> they manage the computations.  Did someone shut a mathematician
> in a closet and not let him out 'til it was finished?  Or, did
> they hire an army of clerks and give each instructions on what
> numbers to add, what numbers to multiply and to whom to pass on
> their portion of the answer? ...

Following the adoption of the metric system in France (late 1700s), a fellow
by the name of de Prony tackled the immense job of recalculating the trig
tables to reflect the 100-degree quadrant.  Prevailing on the mathematicians
of the time, he came up with a (labor-intensive) procedure for constructing
the new tables.  How did he do it?  Well, it seems that the powdered wig had
fallen into disfavor, leaving legions of unemployed Paris hairdressers...

Anyway, his method relied partly on some number of independent computations
to assure accuracy.  He managed this by having the calculations repeated
by isolated teams around the country, since the art of copying from your
neighbor's paper was already well developed by that time :-).

In keeping with the tradition of fickle government funding that continues to
this day, no monies were appropriated for the publishing of whatever tables
were produced.
--
 Daniel E. Hartley                    Manager of Operations and Facilities
 ARPANET: aed@j.cc.purdue.edu         Purdue University Computing Center

lsheldon@cup.portal.com (Laurence Larry Sheldon) (08/09/89)

Somewhere between the Job and Jobs there was some fascinating computing
going on that hardly ever gets talked about (or written about) except
when I talk or write--analog 'puting.

The first 'puters I worked on were mechanical analogs, where all the
math functions were in gears, cams, levers, and all sorts of wonderful
stuff.

Then there were the electro-mechanical and electronic analogs--when
machines really started to be quick.

That was when machines were _MACINES_ .

Anybody remeber what an amplidyne is?

bjornl@tds.kth.se (Bj|rn Lisper) (08/09/89)

writes:
%For instance, how did people produce tables of functions?  I'm
%not asking whether they used Taylor series, but rather how did
%they manage the computations.  Did someone shut a mathematician
%in a closet and not let him out 'til it was finished?  Or, did
%they hire an army of clerks and give each instructions on what
%numbers to add, what numbers to multiply and to whom to pass on
%their portion of the answer?

I've heard that Napier spent 40 years of his life calculating logarithm
tables. (I think he was a 17th century Scotch matematician.)

Bjorn Lisper

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (08/10/89)

Here are corrections to the following article I received via email.

In article <8856@cbnews.ATT.COM>, lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM I wrote:
> Well, actually yes!  At least one mathematician, it was either Euler or Gauss,

It was Gauss.

> paid an autistic savant to compute tables of logarithms.

The savant was a computing savant named Dase, not an autistic savant, and
in fact was an engineer.  Gauss was a computing savant as well.

> I think the looms were called Jaquard looms.

Correct spelling is "Jacquard".

>Larry Cipriani, att!cbnews!lvc or lvc@cbnews.att.com

At least I got my signature right!
--
Larry Cipriani, att!cbnews!lvc or lvc@cbnews.att.com

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) (08/10/89)

From article <BJORNL.89Aug9170721@tarpon.tds.kth.se>, by bjornl@tds.kth.se (Bj|rn Lisper):

> ....  (I think he was a 17th century Scotch matematician.)

Scotch is a drink.  :-)

Napier's Bones play a role in computing.

--
Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell