[comp.edu] Computer Science Programs in Britain and Germany

jbw@bucsf.bu.edu (Joe Wells) (09/10/89)

I am looking for information on the various computer science programs at
universities in Britain and the Federal Republic of Germany.  In the
U.S.A. there is a set of schools that have distinguished themselves in
this field, eg., MIT, Stanford, UCB, CMU, etc.  Which British and German
computer science programs stand out from the crowd, and what are their
specialities?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

--
Joe Wells <jbw@bucsf.bu.edu>
jbw%bucsf.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu

mquigley@kean.mun.ca (Martyn Quigley, E3044, x8656) (09/11/89)

In article <37870@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, jbw@bucsf.bu.edu (Joe Wells) writes:
> I am looking for information on the various computer science programs at
> universities in Britain and the Federal Republic of Germany.  In the
> U.S.A. there is a set of schools that have distinguished themselves in
> this field, eg., MIT, Stanford, UCB, CMU, etc.  Which British and German
> computer science programs stand out from the crowd, and what are their
> specialities?
>
> Thanks for any information you can provide!
>
> --
> Joe Wells <jbw@bucsf.bu.edu>
> jbw%bucsf.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu
> ...!harvard!bu-cs!bucsf!jbw

I can't help with Germany, and this may not be quite what you are
looking for, since it refers only to _research_.

The Universities Funding Council (the UK body which gives universities
over there their federal funding) recently completed its second survey
of research excellence.  Each department was assessed on a scale of 1
to 5 as follows:

	5	International excellence in many areas, national
		excellence in all other areas
	4	National excellence with some evidence of international
		excellence
	3	National excellence is the majority of areas or
		limited international excellence
	2	National excellence in up to half the areas
	1	Little or no national excellence.

For computer science, the universities stacked up like this:

	5	Cambridge, Manchester, Newcastle, Oxford, Sussex,
		Warwick, Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL
	4	Bath, UEA, Essex, Kent, Leeds, Loughborough, York,
		Glasgow, St Andrews, QUB (Belfast), QMC
	3	Bristol, Exeter, Lancaster, Liverpool, UMIST,
		Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton, Aberystwyth,
		Swansea, Dundee, Heriot-Watt, Stirling, Strathclyde,
		Birkbeck, LSE
	2	Aston, Birmingham, Bradford, Brunel, Hull, Keele,
		Leicester, Reading, Surrey, Cardiff, Aberdeen
	1	Salford, Lampeter, KQC, RHBNC

You would have to dig around a little to find out what the
specialities of these places are.  Try the University Calendar section
in your friendly library.  Calendars often (always?) have a list of
faculty members, one way to find out what they do!

Even if this isn't of any help to you, I hope it is of interest.
There are similar ratings for all other subjects, and a complete
listing can be seen in the Times Higher Education Supplement of
September 1st, 1989 (probably also in your library).

								Martyn