[comp.edu] What to know & universal icons

don@brillig.umd.edu (Don Hopkins) (08/24/89)

In article <56543@aerospace.AERO.ORG> abbott@itro3.aero.org (Russell J. Abbott) writes:
>In the world of instantly accessible information that we are
>constructing I'm beginning to wonder what one should actually bother to
>learn.  That is, why know something when one can look it up using an
>information locator service?  I also wonder what the difference is
>between knowing something and knowing where to find out about something.

>--
>-- Russ abbott@itro3.aero.org

You can't have an intuitive understanding of something if you only know
where to look it up. And it's very hard to write down things you
understand intuitivly so that other people can look them up.

Here are my entries in the universal icon contest. I have my doubts
that they are really universal, but I have not had the chance to test
them out on any genuine space aliens yet to be sure.

Arrows as icons for directions:

Icon 0, left:

	  *
	 **
	********
	 **
	  *

Icon 1, right:

	     *
	     **
	********
	     **
	     *

Icon 2, up or forward:

	  *
	 ***
	*****
	  *
	  *
	  *

Icon 3, down or back:

	  *
	  *
	  *
	*****
	 ***
	  *

Icon 0 and Icon 1 seem less ambiguous to me than Icon 2 and Icon 3, which
could each mean two different directions.

So what *is* is about arrows that make them seem to indicate
direction? (Or am I missing the point?) What other ideas could arrows
be confused with?  It probably has more to do with society than with
the shape of arrow...  Maybe the fact that we live in a 3-dimensional
society has something to do with the ambiguity of icons 2 and 3?

For some reason, arrows just don't seem elemental enough to be
universal icons for direction.  How about a very thin long rectangle
as an icon for a 1-dimensional line segment, and a small circle as an
icon for a dimensionless point?

	-Don

"What's your sign?" "Neon!"

dmark@joey.cs.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (08/24/89)

In article <19238@mimsy.UUCP> don@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:

>Here are my entries in the universal icon contest. I have my doubts
>that they are really universal, but I have not had the chance to test
>them out on any genuine space aliens yet to be sure.
>
>Arrows as icons for directions:
>
>Icon 0, left:
>Icon 1, right:
>Icon 2, up or forward:
>Icon 3, down or back:

  [I deleted Don's iconic representations of these to save space, and because
   our Pnews won't post items that have fewer new lines than extracted lines!]

>Icon 0 and Icon 1 seem less ambiguous to me than Icon 2 and Icon 3, which
>could each mean two different directions.
>
>So what *is* is about arrows that make them seem to indicate
>direction? (Or am I missing the point?) What other ideas could arrows
>be confused with?  It probably has more to do with society than with
>the shape of arrow...  Maybe the fact that we live in a 3-dimensional
>society has something to do with the ambiguity of icons 2 and 3?

  I agree that these are good candidates for at least 'quasi-universal'
  status.  But, there are cross-cultural difference in the forward-back
  interpretations of 2 and 3.  Overhead signs in train stations and airports
  in France code things as down==ahead, and up==backward.  My interpretation
  is that we are "supposed" to think of the arrows being rotated into the
  plane of the CEILING.  ("up==ahead" / "down==backward" assumes that we
  are mapping onto the plane of the ground or floor, I think.)  Also, I seem
  to recall signs in the new Eastern Airlines terminal at Miami Airport using
  the "French convention".

  So, arrows for up-down-left-right may be nearly universal, but the
  mappings between the up-down and forward-back axes may not be.  What other
  places and peoples, besides the French, use the "down==ahead"
  convention on overhead signs?

  By the way, the short answer on why left-right is distinct, but up-down
  and forward-back get confounded is that our two eyes are arranged side-
  by-side (ie., perpendicular to gravity).  And that seems to be almost
  a biological universal.  I can think of no creature with 2 eyes for
  binocular vision that has them arranged one above the other.  If this
  is generally so, what is the selective advantage of having the plane of
  binocular vision perpendicular to the direction of gravity??

  David Mark
  dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

arch_ems@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (08/24/89)

>In article <56543@aerospace.AERO.ORG> abbott@itro3.aero.org (Russell J. Abbott) writes:
>>In the world of instantly accessible information that we are
>>constructing I'm beginning to wonder what one should actually bother to
>
>Here are my entries in the universal icon contest. I have my doubts
>that they are really universal, but I have not had the chance to test
>them out on any genuine space aliens yet to be sure.
>
>Arrows as icons for directions:

It is interesting to not that the "arrow" was invented in the
early 20th century by a Bauhaus architectural/artist (I think
it was Paul Klee).  This might be worth looking up but, to
make the point - the arrow seems to be a cultural recent artifact
and perhaps its recency says something about its universality (?)
Perhaps not.  COmments?

Edward Shelton, Project Manager
ARCH Development Corporation
arch_ems@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

lambert@piring.cwi.nl (Lambert Meertens) (08/24/89)

In article <19238@mimsy.UUCP> don@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:
) Here are my entries in the universal icon contest. I have my doubts
) that they are really universal, but I have not had the chance to test
) them out on any genuine space aliens yet to be sure.
)
) Icon 3, down or back:
)
) 	  *
) 	  *
) 	  *
) 	*****
) 	 ***
) 	  *
)
) Icon 0 and Icon 1 seem less ambiguous to me than Icon 2 and Icon 3, which
) could each mean two different directions.

On overhead signs on highways Icon 3 means "forward".

Icon 0

) 	  *
) 	 **
) 	********
) 	 **
) 	  *

unmistakably depicts a goose flying towards the right -- no space aliens
needed there.

--

--Lambert Meertens, CWI, Amsterdam; lambert@cwi.nl

tainter@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (johnathan.tainter) (08/24/89)

In article <19238@mimsy.UUCP> don@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:
>Arrows as icons for directions:
>Icon 0, left:		>Icon 1, right:

          or back:		or forward:

>	  *		>	     *
>	 **		>	     **
>	********	>	********
>	 **		>	     **
>	  *		>	     *

>Icon 2, up or forward:	>Icon 3, down or back:
>	  *		>	  *
>	 ***		>	  *
>	*****		>	  *
>	  *		>	*****
>	  *		>	 ***
>	  *		>	  *

They all look equally ambiguous to me.

>So what *is* is about arrows that make them seem to indicate
>direction?

Convention.  Probably rooted in early cultural training that one points
an arrow at (approximately) what one is hunting rather than some other
direction.  The rest is map related.  A person reading a map
probably has it layed out relative to the ground so up on the map is
forward, left is left, etc. (regardless of ESWN)

>For some reason, arrows just don't seem elemental enough to be
>universal icons for direction.  How about a very thin long rectangle
>as an icon for a 1-dimensional line segment, and a small circle as an
>icon for a dimensionless point?

All of these things are symbols.  Symbols get there values by convention.
Many are abstractions of other symbols (i.e. drawn arrow as symbol for
direction as abstraction from hunting arrow as symbol for direction)

I don't think you are going to find many preexisting 'universal' icons
because most foreign countries have all the symbol referents wrong. :-) :-)
In fact, many parts of the USL(*) get these wrong.

Your only hope is to start a campaign like the international road signs thingy.

>	-Don

--johnathan.a.tainter--
   att!ihlpb!tainter

(*) United States of Litigation, formerly the USA

ian@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (08/25/89)

In article <8351@boring.cwi.nl>, lambert@piring.cwi.nl (Lambert Meertens) writes:
> In article <19238@mimsy.UUCP> don@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:
>
> Icon 0
>
> ) 	  *
> ) 	 **
> ) 	********
> ) 	 **
> ) 	  *
>
> unmistakably depicts a goose flying towards the right -- no space aliens
> needed there.

I think that icons are context dependent. If you're looking at a signpost
or following a marked route and see icon 0, you will interpret it as a left
arrow. If (this may get somewhat bizarre!) you are a pilot flying through
an area inhabited by geese and you see this sign suspended from a helium
filled balloon, you may interpret icon 0 as `beware of high-flying geese'.
Similarly with the down arrow, it can be interpreted as meaning `behind
you' on a station direction board or `this lane for ...' on a (British)
motorway. If you were driving down the motorway and saw a sign (sorry for
the additional lines):

                             LIVERPOOL
                                ***
                                ***
                               *****
                                ***
                                 *

You wouldn't turn round and go in the opposite direction, but if you saw
the same icon on a sign just outside a town, you would realise that you
_do_ have to turn round.

I believe that you have to learn the meanings of icons and the context in
which they apply.

Ian Finch              Janet: ian@uk.ac.liv.cs.mva
---------              Internet: ian%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
                       UUCP: ...mcvax!ukc!ian@uk.ac.liv.cs.mva
  Icon: A complex, blurry and easily misinterpreted pictorial representation
        of a single unambiguous word.

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (08/26/89)

In article <1359@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> tainter@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (johnathan.tainter,ih,) writes:
>In article <19238@mimsy.UUCP> don@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:
>>So what *is* is about arrows that make them seem to indicate
>>direction?
>
>Convention.  Probably rooted in early cultural training that one points
>an arrow at (approximately) what one is hunting rather than some other
>direction.

How about:  the wake that a swimming animal|person|duck|boat makes in
the water?  The triangle always fans out behind the point.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (08/26/89)

> Here are my entries in the universal icon contest. I have my doubts
> that they are really universal, but I have not had the chance to test
> them out on any genuine space aliens yet to be sure.

> Icon 0, left: [left-pointing arrow]
> Icon 1, right: [right-pointing arrow]
> Icon 2, up or forward: [up-pointing arrow]
> Icon 3, down or back: [down-pointing arrow]

No aliens are needed.  Try Frenchmen.  In France an overhead sign
indicating that you are to go forward bears a DOWN-pointing arrow,
which makes me look for the stairs going down; an up-pointing arrow
in that position always means that you should go up.  (I'm not positive
that this usage is universal throughout the country.)

Similarly, in France if you are approaching a simple crossroads and
the road to Calais is straight ahead, you will probably see two signs:

at the far-left corner of the		at the far-right corner of the
intersection				intersection

	-------------				 ------------
	|  CALAIS    >				<   CALAIS  |
	-------------				 ------------

The trick is that the signs are set diagonally, so that traffic approaching
on the cross road can also read them.  The interpretation of these icons
is, then, that a left- or right-pointing arrow (of that shape) means you
should take the road adjacent to the left or right of the sign, respectively.
(This is a simplification valid for simple crossroads only.  For other
intersections, you have to be aware of what plane the sign is in!)

This article is a cross-posted followup to a cross-posted original.
I haven't added a followup-to line because I can't decide on one.
This article is in the public domain.

--
Mark Brader		"It's okay to have our own language if we feel
utzoo!sq!msb		 we need it, but why does it have to be used

norman@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Donald A Norman-UCSD Cog Sci Dept) (08/26/89)

I suspect there is no such thing as a universal icon, and for a simple
reason: The development of signs and symbols is a critical and
difficult evolutionary step.  Only humans seem to have made the step
to symbols, and even with humans, the development of even such simple
signs/symbols as tally marks for indicating amount (pebbles to
indicate amunt of animals, or notches in a stick) came rather late --
thousands (tens of thousands -- hundreds of thousands -- of years
after the evolution of our species.  If things were "obvious" they
wouldn't have taken so long.  (Simple enumeration schemes such as
pebbles and marks appears to be the very first use of symbols,
predating drawings. Enumeration (which is simpler than counting) also
appears to be the forerunner of written language.)

My colleague (Ed Hutchins -- an anthropologist before he put on his
cognitive science uniform) and I argued in a paper that arrowheads
were <<arbitrary>> conventions of direction, not understood by all
cultures.

----

The remark that arrows pointing upward mean forward, except when
overhead in France, where they point down to mean frontwards is
probably the correct way.

I recently was sent a pile of papers on direction giving, including
some by one of the originator of this debate, David Mark.  That is
simply a coincidence.  But one of the papers was by Roger Shepard and
Shelly Hurwitz:

Shepard, R.N., & Hurwitz, S. (1984).  Upward direction, mental
rotation, and discrimination of left and right turns in maps.
Cognition, 18, 161-193.

Shepard and Hurwitz argue that "because our standard viewpoint is
somewhat elevated above the generally horizontal surface of the
ground, two points (A and B) on a path leading away in front of us
project onto an intervening vertical plane with the farther point B,
above the nearer point A.  ... Thus, there is ... a natural
correspondence between the forward direction ... and the upward
direction"

Following that simple principle, if a vertical arrow is below the
horizon, up means forward, but if it is above the horizon, up means
backward and down means forard.  So the French got it right.

Which also means that even such a thing as an arrow that means
direction has to be interpreted relative to the observer's point of
view, so it can't be "universal."

(Shepard and Hurwitz also discuss the standard mirror-reversing
problem (I wouold tell you the page number but my Xerographic copy
doesn't have any), but I will pass on discussing this old, old
problem.)

Don Norman                         	       INTERNET:  dnorman@ucsd.edu
Department of Cognitive Science D-015	       BITNET:    dnorman@ucsd
University of California, San Diego	       AppleLink: D.NORMAN
La Jolla, California 92093 USA
   [e-mail paths often fail: please give postal address and full e-mail path.]

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (08/27/89)

> On overhead signs on highways Icon 3 means "forward".

No it doesn't -- it means "pass under this sign", in other words,
it points "down" to the section of road you are to use.

However, as I and someone else noted, in France it is used to mean
"forward" in situations where passing under the sign or not doing
so are not applicable.

Mark Brader

matt@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Matthew McGranaghan) (08/28/89)

In article <9059@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@joey.UUCP (David Mark) writes:
>  I can think of no creature with 2 eyes for
>  binocular vision that has them arranged one above the other.  If this
>  is generally so, what is the selective advantage of having the plane of
>  binocular vision perpendicular to the direction of gravity??

I would guess that most things of interest are supported by the ground, and
spread out in the plane perpendicular to gravity.  Then having a broad,
rather than tall, field of view is advantageous.  I'm not a cat fan, but
don't cats have pupils which increase the vertical axis of the field of view?
To better see game in trees?

Matt McGranaghan
Univ.of Hawaii - Geography

--
matt@uhccux                         Matt McGranaghan, Geography Dept
matt@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu              U of Hawaii, 2424 Maile Way

dennism@menace.rtech.COM (Dennis Moore (x2435, 1080-276) INGRES/teamwork) (08/29/89)

In regards to the recent discussions of universal icons:

Amongst humans, I think there are at least a few universal icons, symbols
which anyone would understand.  For instance,

    ..   ..
-  .       .  -
-  .       .  -
    ..   ..
 /    ...    \
  /         \
   /       \
     | | |

would be recognizable as the Sun, if I had a little more resolution.  Similarly,
the moon as a crescent or clouds as blobs or rain falling from clouds is
clearly recognizable in less than pictorial form as an icon.  Moreover, anyone
on any planet would probably recognize the sun icon.

-- Dennis Moore, my own opinions, etc etc etc.

efrethei@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Erik J. Fretheim) (08/29/89)

In article <3490@rtech.rtech.com> dennism@menace.UUCP (Dennis Moore (x2435, 1080-276) INGRES/teamwork) writes:
>In regards to the recent discussions of universal icons:
>
>Amongst humans, I think there are at least a few universal icons, symbols
>which anyone would understand.  For instance,

>    ..   ..
>-  .       .  -
>-  .       .  -
>    ..   ..
> /    ...    \
>  /         \
>   /       \
>     | | |

>would be recognizable as the Sun, if I had a little more resolution.
 anyone
>on any planet would probably recognize the sun icon.

Funny, Until I read further I though I recognized this as the universal
map symbol for a hill.  Oh well, if I'm not from a planet, may haps I'm
from an astroid then (but one big enough to have hills on it to put on
my map). :-).

(smiley with his tongue hanging out)

erik

--
something for the signature wackers to wack.

lubofsky@aerospace.aero.org (Nick Lubofsky) (08/30/89)

Wouldn't all people recognize this?

      --+--

       / \

Wouldn't that be a universal icon?

P.S. If anybody's interested in joining a mailing list discussing User
Interfaces, please contact me (lubofsky@aerospace.aero.org).
Nicholas Lubofsky  |  lubofsky@aerospace.aero.org           |  The Aerospace
(213) 336-5454     |  {decvax,ihnp4}trwrb!aero!lubofsky     |   Corporation
VoiceMailbox 3064  |  Life is precious, Love is so rare...  |   Los Angeles

sleat@sim.ardent.com (Michael Sleator) (08/30/89)

In article <8351@boring.cwi.nl> lambert@piring.cwi.nl (Lambert Meertens) writes:

>) Icon 3, down or back:
>)
>) 	  *
>) 	  *
>) 	  *
>) 	*****
>) 	 ***
>) 	  *
>)
>
>On overhead signs on highways Icon 3 means "forward".

Strange... I never thought of this interpretation.  I always thought of the
downward arrow as indicating "this lane", i.e., a selection rather than a
direction.  The direction is implicit, in that if you try and go backward,
you will probably be killed.

Michael Sleator
Ardent Computer
880 W. Maude
Sunnyvale, CA  94086  USA
408-732-0400
...!{decwrl | hplabs | ubvax | uunet}!ardent!sleat

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (08/30/89)

In article <56868@aerospace.AERO.ORG> lubofsky@aero.UUCP (Nick Lubofsky) writes:
>Wouldn't all people recognize this?

>      --+--
>	|
>       / \

Ah! I will go with this, better than rain drops (which tend to rare in Arctic
and arid regions), the sun and Moon (in jungle regions), etc.
>Wouldn't that be a universal icon?
		    ^^^^^^^^^
What do you mean we EARTHman? 8)

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (08/31/89)

+-- lubofsky@aero.UUCP (Nick Lubofsky) writes:
| Wouldn't all people recognize this?

|      --+--
|        |
|       / \

I don't know how accurate this is, but I heard once that "primative"
tribal people who had never encountered photgraphs before were not able
to see the image it depicted.  They saw it as a surface with colored
patches on it.  They certainly knew how to deal with objects, but not
with pictures of objects.  They had to learn how to interpret the
representation.

Anyone know if this kind of thing really happened, or if it's just one
of those stories?
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC		(ferguson@metaphor.com)

kiravuo@kampi.hut.fi (Timo Kiravuo) (08/31/89)

In article <56868@aerospace.AERO.ORG> lubofsky@aerospace.aero.org (Nick Lubofsky) writes:

>Wouldn't all people recognize this?

>      --+--
>       / \

Yes, a biped with one leg in cast up to his waist? Or maybe a
pregnant woman with hanging breasts? :-)

You are using the special characters that are translated to
Scandinavian ones on my terminal. Vertical bar is a o with dots
and backslash is a capital O with dots on. (See
soc.culture.nordic for details.) So you can not even trust ASCII.

In my opinion this debate has showed us that it is bloody
difficult to design universal icons. At the best you can achieve
something that _most_ people understand, but not all. Also
understanding depends much on the observers cultural background.

So now you have a good excuse for travelling; "Look boss, if we
want to capture the Tasmanian market I just have to go there and
see which way they have the arrows on highways."

And an anecdote. A washing powder company was advertising in some
Arabian country. They had billboards showing a dirty cloth on the
left, cloth in water with washing powder in the middle and a
shining white cloth in the right-hand picture. Unfortunately
Arabian is read from right to left...
--
Timo Kiravuo
Helsinki University of Technology, Computing Center

craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) (09/03/89)

Unfortunately, icons drawn from universal, physical, things tend to be very
concrete, while the kinds of things we presently do with computers tend to
very abstract.  At the very least, they are verbs, which require demonstration,
which requires expression over time, which is not the strong point of icons.
In Swift's "Gulliver's Travels", one of his satires describes a society of
intellectuals who speak to each other with objects, and as a result have to
carry a lot of them around in bags on their backs.  They don't get much done.

Of course it is very difficult also to find reliable universals.  I rather
like the idea of facial expressions, but beyond that, when we get into
gestures, and especially cultural dependencies like clocks and mailboxes,
we get into trouble.

What if there was already a quite large, totally standardized, universal body
of icons that was guaranteed to uniquely and unambiguously identify any
abstract term or verb we needed?  What if it were also possible to form
'icon sentences', again in a relatively standard way, that could be
interpreted as actions, statements, or instructions ?  What if one-quarter of
the world's population already knew it ?

Well, it does exist and it's called Chinese.  Yes, I know it's been said
before, but I for one would be *very glad* to learn Chinese characters, which
in fact only has to be done once per lifetime, than learn a dozen stupid icons
every time I fire up a new Mac, Sun, or NeXT application.  The fact is, it's
*easier* to learn Chinese than do this again, over and over, dozens of times.

Of course, this is more like the midway point between what we understand icons
to be, and what we understand written language to be.  Perhaps the Chinese
will ultimately adapt better to these ideas, as the Japanese seem already
to be doing.

However, there is one problem.  The Chinese characters are used extensively
in some other languages, most notably Japanese, and don't always keep their
original meanings.  Furthermore, in China and Japan these characters would
be recognized as text and would need to be set off or outlined in some way
to distinguish them as control labels.  All the same, it seems a quite
supportable approach.

However, I think ultimately an icon will have to very directly capture
the operation it symbolizes.  If an icon is going to *shrink* something,
I want to see a simple object *before* and *after* the operation in the
icon, perhaps in different colors.  So I see a big square in red on top
of a smaller square in blue.  For *copy*, I see two red circles on top
of one blue circle.  This helps to alleviate the problem of having to
demonstrate the action, though of course ultimately that could be done too.

    Craig Hubley			-------------------------------------
    Craig Hubley & Associates		"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"
    craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca		-------------------------------------
    craig@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu    mnetor!utgpu!craig@uunet.UU.NET
    {allegra,bnr-vpa,decvax,mnetor!utcsri}!utgpu!craig    craig@utorgpu.bitnet

--
    Craig Hubley			-------------------------------------
    Craig Hubley & Associates		"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"
    craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca		-------------------------------------
    craig@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu    mnetor!utgpu!craig@uunet.UU.NET
    {allegra,bnr-vpa,decvax,mnetor!utcsri}!utgpu!craig    craig@utorgpu.bitnet

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (09/04/89)

If Craig thinks that learning chinese is easier than learning a few new icons
then craig has never tried to learn Chinese. ALL ideograms/pictograms in
chinese have multiple meanings and there is no assurance that any 2 chinese
people will get the same meaning from the same group of characters. Classical
chinese is even more difficult than the revised characters. English is a very
linear left brain language; chinese is more acoustic and right brain. Whole new
set of problems arise. There is no alphabet in chinese. Forget Pynyin, that is
a western wet dream.

Now Japanese is another story. Not 1 but 2 alphabets, and then 2000+ kanji.
They cover the right brain and the left brain. Often stroke victims will lose
the power of the alphabets or the kanji but not usually both.

You don't learn characters in japanese or chinese 'just once.' If you don't use
them you lose them ... and have to learn them over and over, just like any
language. Talk to the Chinese who are going to school in this country and have
their kids here. The kids forget the language very quickly and it poses serious
problems for them when they get back home.

Believe it or not but the stupid icons on a Mac or Sun are easier to use or
learn than chinese, try it!

--Thom Gillespie

foessmei@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Reinhard Foessmeier) (09/05/89)

In article <768@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> norman@cogsci.UUCP (Donald A Norman-UCSD Cog Sci Dept) writes:

>Shepard and Hurwitz argue that "because our standard viewpoint is
>somewhat elevated above the generally horizontal surface of the
>ground, two points (A and B) on a path leading away in front of us
>project onto an intervening vertical plane with the farther point B,
>above the nearer point A.  ... Thus, there is ... a natural
>correspondence between the forward direction ... and the upward
>direction"

En la subter-fervojaj vagonoj		A few years ago, in the Munich
en Munkeno antaw kelkaj jaroj		underground/subway cars there used
estis du malsamaj planoj de la		to be two different maps of the
subtera reto: unu montris ^gin		underground network: One as seen
de-supre kaj unu de-sube (spegul-	from above and one as seens from below
inverse)! Oni tamen forigis la		(side-inverted).  They took away this
de-suban lastan jaron.  Mi ^ciam	one last year, however.  I always
trovis ^gin konfuza, sed		founs it somewhat confusing, but in
efektive legante la mapon oni		fact you had to be below ground level
ja trovi^gis sub la tero,		to read it, so you were partly under
do parte sub la fervoj-reto.		the network, too.

^Cu ie tiaj inversaj planoj estas	Are there any useful applications for
utiligataj?				such inverted maps?
Reinhard F\"ossmeier, Technische Univ. M\"unchen |  Vivu
foessmeier@infovax.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de |    la gefiloj
   [ { relay.cs.net | unido.uucp } ]             |       de niaj gepatroj!

timd@sunray.UUCP (Tim Dudley) (09/07/89)

In article <KIRAVUO.89Aug31115445@kampi.hut.fi> kiravuo@kampi.hut.fi (Timo Kiravuo) writes:

>And an anecdote. A washing powder company was advertising in some
>Arabian country. They had billboards showing a dirty cloth on the
>left, cloth in water with washing powder in the middle and a
>shining white cloth in the right-hand picture. Unfortunately
>Arabian is read from right to left...
>--

and another one - apparently Gerber Baby foods contributed a fair amount of
food to the CARE program several years ago, and couldn't figure out why the
baby food wasn't even being opened. Somebody finally discovered that is was
because of the picture of the baby on the jar.  The recipients knew that cans
of beans had pictures of beans on the outside, cans of spinach had pictures
of spinach, etc., and nobody would touch the jars with pictures of babies.

--
Tim Dudley                           Cognos Incorporated
(613) 738-1440                       3755 Riverside Drive, P.O.Box 9707

alistair@minster.york.ac.uk (09/12/89)

In western culture, how would you interpret a sign giving directions which looks
something like this:

\ | /
 \|/

- move down, right?

I went to a talk some time ago (sorry, can't remember the details) in which
it was explained that there is a culture in which that would imply UP - it
represents a bird's foot, and a bird that had made that footprint would be