[comp.edu] Looking for a MacIntosh Scheme

stecker@unc.cs.unc.edu (Melanie Stecker) (09/20/89)

I am interested in finding Scheme for the MacIntosh,
(to run on a MacPlus at best) for use in a first year
programming course.

If you know of such a Scheme, please email me details.
If you have experience with the Scheme, especially in
an educational setting, please include a brief evaluation
of the software.

Depending on the response I receive, I will post a
summary of replies.

Thank you.
Melanie Stecker           *************         stecker@cs.unc.edu
'On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free,
 on the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...'
                                        -Unknown

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (09/21/89)

In article <9558@thorin.cs.unc.edu> stecker@unc.cs.unc.edu (Melanie
Stecker) writes:
> I am interested in finding Scheme for the MacIntosh,
> (to run on a MacPlus at best) for use in a first year
> programming course.
>
> If you know of such a Scheme, please email me details.
> If you have experience with the Scheme, especially in
> an educational setting, please include a brief evaluation
> of the software.
>
> Depending on the response I receive, I will post a
> summary of replies.
>
> Thank you.
> Melanie Stecker           *************         stecker@cs.unc.edu
> 'On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free,
>  on the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...'
>                                         -Unknown

If you're talking about commercially-available implementations, the only
one that I'm familiar with is Lightship Software's (formerly Semantic
Microsystems') MacScheme family of products.

They have everything from Scheme Express, which is a very nice little
bytecode-interpreted system with a very nice little price tag ($69.95)
with a lot of cool things, such as a very simple, very elegant little
object system and a really cool nondeterministic programming system that
John Ulrich wrote (and wrote about in the September AI Expert, if my
memory serves me correctly).  A bit higher up is MacScheme, which supports
native-code compilation for the Macintosh.  Higher up still is
MacScheme+Toolsmith, which gives you high-level Macintosh Toolbox/OS
access and the ability to create standalone applications that can be
distributed without royalties.

Scheme Express sounds like it might be exactly what you need; it's
inexpensive and fits just fine in a one-megabyte Macintosh Plus.  If you
want native code, you can go with MacScheme for $150; it will also work on
a one-meg machine.  MacScheme+Toolsmith is $395 and will run in one meg,
but large programs may need more RAM.

I suggest that you contact Lightship Software at:

P.O. Box 1636
Beaverton, OR  97075
(503) 643-6909

Good luck!

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.