[comp.edu] Computer implementation of card gam

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (10/07/89)

20 questions (guess a random number) is the first game I ever
implemented, as a 14-year old in 1976, on my own with just a (TUTOR)
language manual.  I was ecstatic.  You would not believe how much fun
it was to play this stupid game.  It is much simpler than blackjack.

Other fun games that high school kids might enjoy writing: STAR TREK
(Only 80 lines of BASIC), blackjack, poker, nimh, a typing speed test
(with a record system so you can race your friends), a perfect maze
generator (a perfect maze has just one path between any two points)

Today's students will probably finish the games, yawn, and then head
down to the video parlor to play 3-D space simulation *sigh*.

Don

din@farmer.cis.upenn.edu (Clarence Din) (10/11/89)

In article <82400045@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>20 questions (guess a random number) is the first game I ever
>implemented, as a 14-year old in 1976, on my own with just a (TUTOR)
>language manual.  I was ecstatic.  You would not believe how much fun
>it was to play this stupid game.  It is much simpler than blackjack.
>
>Other fun games that high school kids might enjoy writing: STAR TREK
>(Only 80 lines of BASIC), blackjack, poker, nimh, a typing speed test
>(with a record system so you can race your friends), a perfect maze
>generator (a perfect maze has just one path between any two points)
>
>Today's students will probably finish the games, yawn, and then head
>down to the video parlor to play 3-D space simulation *sigh*.

I remember these games!  When I was starting my programming
adventures, I enjoyed these games, too.  I wrote more
arcade type games for my Commodore 64, VIC 20, and Apple,
though.  I have a Pengo game published in June 1985's
Compute's Gazette and I've written versions of Q-Bert,
Dam Breaker, Super Breakout, karate games, Robots, driving
games, skiing games (3D!!!) and lots more.

- Clarence

| Clarence Kenneth Din    oo |                         |   ___  __  __ ____   |
|                         \/ |  Descartes' doth say... |  // |/ || //  || \\  |
| University of Pennsylvania |  "I thought,            | ||     ||     ||  || |
| din@grad1.cis.upenn.edu    |   Therefore, I ain't!"  |  \\__  || \\_ |__//  |