[comp.edu] CS Ph. D. program

mikeyv@seqp4.ORG (Michael Vernick) (10/14/89)

Having worked in industry for 5 years after receiving a Masters in C.S.
I have just started taking part-time grad courses in CS at a local university.
I've now decided to apply for full-time status as a Ph.D. student though I
am not sure where I should I apply.  I am interested in a 'Systems' type
program.  My main field of expertise is database systems.  I am also
interested in distributed systems, parallel computing, and software
engineering.  I am looking for suggestions of schools to look into,
especially schools on the East Coast.  I already have info on
MIT, and CMU.  Thanks in advance.

Mike Vernick

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (10/16/89)

In article <160@seqp4.UUCP>, mikeyv@seqp4.ORG (Michael Vernick) writes:
> Having worked in industry for 5 years after receiving a Masters in C.S.
> I have just started taking part-time grad courses in CS at a local university.
> I've now decided to apply for full-time status as a Ph.D. student though I
> am not sure where I should I apply.  I am interested in a 'Systems' type
> program.  My main field of expertise is database systems.  I am also
> interested in distributed systems, parallel computing, and software
> engineering.  I am looking for suggestions of schools to look into,
> especially schools on the East Coast.  I already have info on
> MIT, and CMU.  Thanks in advance.

It is my understanding that MIT and CMU are at the top of the heap.  This
brings with it both advantages and liabilities.  Obviously, it is more
difficult to get in there.  It is also true that such places are well-
stocked with priests and bishops.  If you wanna pay dues under priests and
bishops, that's fine.  If you don't, and if you have the gumption to do
well without kissing their shoes, then there are numerous alternatives.

One alternative with which I am familiar, having been ordained there
myself, is Ga Tech.  CS at Ga Tech HAS been in the School of Information
and Computer Science in the GT equivalent of the Arts and Sciences college,
not in the Engineering College (where EE is).  This is somewhat of a
historical fluke, as CS got put into what had been the School of Information,
where a curious collection of philosphers, psychologist, linguists, etc.
were busy trying to figure out what Information is, and wht to do with it.
All of those guys are just about gone, via retirement, and the place
gradually became dominated by CS types.  The name became meaningless, i.e.,
it should have been just the School of CS.  It rose in the early 80's to
mid-teens in the rankings.  I don't know, but I suspect it dropped back
down somewhat in the mid-late 80's, a prisoner to a College that didn't
understand what CS needed, etc.

Big Changes are afoot.  New GT prez is one John Patrick Crecine, who
was stolen away from CMU (had been VP there), and who is 1/3 of Next
computers Bd of Dir's (along with Jobs and Perot).  He has succeeded
in pushing thru a re-org of the place, with CS elevated to being its
very own College of Computing.  Thus, CS is in a more powerful position,
structurally, than it used to be.  It is also true that a strong CS
presence is central to Crecine's agenda for the overall elevation of GT.
His personal idea is that it should be the College of Computing and
Cognitive Sciences, but that will take some more doing.  However, it
is clear (to me, anyway), that GT is a place where CS will be happening
bigtime albeit with growing pains.

GT is in Atlanta, which is great place (as far as big cities go).  Good
climate.  Good attitude.  Good people.  Lousy pro-sports teams.  You
can't have everything.  GT has a rep. for paying well, but I dunno
what the truth is.  As a doc student, I got tuition plus $850/mo.
Faculty is expanding (growth of 7 this year, target of 50 CS faculty).
Probably worth a look.  Write to College of Computing, AECAL, Ga Tech,
Atlanta, 30332.  404-894-3152 (I think, better check on the phone num).

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (jerry waldorf) (10/16/89)

In article <2533@hydra.gatech.EDU> russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) writes:
>it should have been just the School of CS.  It rose in the early 80's to
>mid-teens in the rankings.  I don't know, but I suspect it dropped back
>down somewhat in the mid-late 80's, a prisoner to a College that didn't
>understand what CS needed, etc.

	Where is everyone getting these rankings.  If anyone has a reliable
source of these rankings can you please give me the title of the publication.
Do these rankings come out once a year?  Please respond.

reggie@dinsdale.nm.paradyne.com (George W. Leach) (10/17/89)

Mike,

       Twice I sent this via e-mail and twice it was bounced back!

In article <160@seqp4.UUCP> you write:
>Having worked in industry for 5 years after receiving a Masters in C.S.
>I have just started taking part-time grad courses in CS at a local university.
>I've now decided to apply for full-time status as a Ph.D. student though I
>am not sure where I should I apply.  I am interested in a 'Systems' type
>program.  My main field of expertise is database systems.  I am also
>interested in distributed systems, parallel computing, and software
>engineering.  I am looking for suggestions of schools to look into,
>especially schools on the East Coast.  I already have info on
>MIT, and CMU.  Thanks in advance.

    Well, databases made me think of Cal Berkeley.  The home of Ingres.
Larry Rowe (larry@postgres.berkeley.edu) and Michael Stonebraker are now
working on Postgres, which is attempting to integrate data, object, and
knowledge management into a DBMS.  Cal Berkeley is one of the top ranked
programs in the country, often spoken of in the same breath as MIT and CMU.

    Then there is the Oregon Graduate Center.  Jacob Stein and David Maier
have been working on Object-oriented databases there.  Servio Logic is a
commercial venture that has sprung out of their work.  Try contacting
David Maier (ogcvax!maier).

    On the east coast, there is the COINS Project at the University of
Massachusetts, Amherst.  Try contacting either Eliot Moss (Moss@cs.umass.edu)
or Steven Sinofsky (Sinofsky@cs.umass.edu).

    There is also the RAID Project at Purdue University.  RAID is a
distributed database system.  Contact Bharat Bhargava (bb@cs.purdue.edu).

    Va-On Tam has been investigating distributed databases using distributed
shared memory (which seems to be a hot topic in distributed operating systems
literature these days).  He is at Harvard University (tam@harvard.edu).

    Distributed and parallel computing opens up a number of possibilities.
I just so happen to have a list I compiled of mostly distributed operating
system projects.  Here it is:

PROJECT:	HCS
CONTACT:	David Notkin		(notkin@cs.washington.edu)
		Department of Computer Science, FR-35
		University of Washington
		Seattle, WA  98195
		(206) 545-3798

PROJECT:	Hyper UNIX
CONTACT:	Kurt Zeilenga		(zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov)
		Parallel Processing Research Group
		University of New Mexico
		Albuquerque, NM 87131

PROJECT:	Sprite
CONTACT:	Fred Douglis		(douglis@ginger.Berkeley.EDU)
		John Ousterhout		(ouster@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu)
					(spriters@ginger.Berkeley.EDU)
		Computer Science Division
		571 Evans Hall
		University of California
		Berkeley, CA 94720
		(415) 642-0865

PROJECT:	ISIS
CONTACT:	Ken Birman		(ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu)
		Department of Computer Science
		4105 Upson Hall
		Cornell University
		Ithaca, New York 14853
		(607) 255-9199

PROJECT:	V
CONTACT:	David Cheriton		(cheriton@cs.stanford.edu)
		Tony Mason		(mason@pescadero.stanford.edu)
		Distributed Systems Group
		Stanford University

PROJECT:	Parallel OS
CONTACT:	Bob Bruce		(rab@mimsy.umd.edu)
		University of Maryland
		Laboratory for Parallel Computation
		Department of Computer Science
		College Park, MD  20742

PROJECT:	Synthesis
CONTACT:	Calton Pu		(calton@cs.columbia.edu)
		Department of Computer Science
		Columbia University
		New York, NY 10027
		(212) 280-8110

PROJECT:	Symunix 2
CONTACT:	Jan Edler		(edler@nyu.edu)
		New York University
		251 Mercer Street
		New York, NY 10012
		(212) 998-3353

PROJECT:	Saguaro
CONTACT:	Richard D. Schlichting	(rick@arizona.edu)
		Department of Computer Science
		The University of Arizona
		Tucson, AZ  85721

PROJECT:	Psyche
CONTACT:	Michael L. Scott	(scott@cs.rochester.edu)
		(716) 275-7745
		Thomas J. LeBlanc	(leblanc@cs.rochester.edu)
		(716) 275-5426
		Department of Computer Science
		University of Rochester
		Rochester, NY  14627

PROJECT:	Cosmos
CONTACT:	John Nicol		(john@computing.lancaster.ac.uk)
					(cosmos@comp.lancs.ac.uk)
		The COSMOS Research Group
		Department of Computing
		University of Lancaster
		Bailrigg
		Lancaster, LA1 4YR,
		UNITED KINGDOM
		+44 (0) 524 65201 Ext 4145, 4146

PROJECT:	?
CONTACT:	Darrell Long		(darrell@spica.ucsc.edu)
		University of California
		San Diego, CA

PROJECT:	Trillium
CONTACT:	Greg Burns		(gdburns@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu)
		Cornell Theory Center
		265 Olin Hall
		Ithaca, NY 14853-5201

PROJECT:	Mach
CONTACT:	Rick Rashid		(rashid@cs.cmu.edu)
					(mach@cs.cmu.edu)
		Department of Computer Science
		Carnegie Mellon University
		Pittsburgh, PA 15213
		(412) 268-2617

PROJECT:	Avalon
CONTACT:	Pamela Reyner Scott	(REYNER@CS.CMU.EDU)
		Carnegie Mellon University
		Computer Science Department
		Schenley Park
		Pittsburgh, PA 15213

PROJECT:	Allegro
CONTACT:	Mark A. Linton		(linton@lurch.stanford.edu)
		Center for Integrated Systems, Rm. 213,
		Stanford University
		Stanford, CA 94305

PROJECT:	Clouds
CONTACT:	Richard LeBlanc		(rich@gatech.edu)
		School of ICS
		Georgia Tech
		Atlanta, GA 30332-0280
			-or-
		Gene Spafford		(spaf@purdue.edu)
		Department of Computer Science
		Purdue University

PROJECT:	Argus
CONTACT:	Barbara Liskov		(liskov@lcs.mit.edu)
		MIT
		Laboratory for Computer Sciences
		545 Technology Square
		Cambridge, MA  02139

PROJECT:	Mercury
CONTACT:	William Weihl		(weihl@xx.lcs.mit.edu)
		MIT
		Laboratory for Computer Sciences
		545 Technology Square
		Cambridge, MA  02139
		(617) 253-6030

PROJECT:	?
CONTACT:	Va-On Tam		(tam@harvard.edu)
		Meichun Hsu
		Center for Research in Computing Technology
		Aiken Computation Lab
		33 Oxford Street
		Harvard University
		Cambridge, MA  02138

PROJECT:	Linda
CONTACT:	David Gelernter		(gelernter@cs.yale.edu)
		Department of Computer Science
		Yale University
		New Haven, Connecticut

PROJECT:	?
CONTACT:	Luis L. Cova		(cova@princeton.edu)
		Rafael Alonso
		Department of Computer Science
		Princeton University
		Princeton, New Jersey  08544
		(609) 452-3869

PROJECT:	DASH
CONTACT:	David Anderson		(anderson@arpa.berkeley.edu)
		Dominico Ferrari	(ferarri@arpa.berkeley.edu)
		University of California at Berkeley
		Berkeley, CA  94720

PROJECT:	DEMOS/MP
CONTACT:	Barton Miller		(miller@cs.wisc.edu)
		Computer Sciences Department
		University of Wisconsin
		1210 West Dayton Street
		Madison, Wisconsin  53706

PROJECT:	Locus
CONTACT:	Gerald Popek		(popek@maui.cs.ucla.edu)
		Department of Computer Science
		University of California at Los Angeles
		Los Angeles, CA
		(213) 825-6507

        I hope this helps.  It probably confussed matters :-)  I think
that what you should do is to decide just what it is that you want to
do.  Then you will have an easier time choosing which program to attend.
Personalities of people involved with programs is important as well.  A
friend of mine had to change his thesis topic due to the fact that he
could not get along with the advisor at his university who specialized
in databases.  Another person I know had to stop working on his PhD
because there was no one at his university who specialized in his area
of interest.

George

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
(uunet|att)!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL 34649-2826 USA

elm@chilli.Berkeley.EDU (ethan miller) (10/19/89)

In <6665@pdn.paradyne.com> reggie@dinsdale.paradyne.com (George Leach) writes:
%PROJECT:	Parallel OS
%CONTACT:	Bob Bruce		(rab@mimsy.umd.edu)
%		University of Maryland
%		Laboratory for Parallel Computation
%		Department of Computer Science
%		College Park, MD  20742

I suspect Bob Bruce is no longer working on this project, as he is
working here at Berkeley on Sprite.  He probably knows who to contact,
though.

ethan
=================================
ethan miller--cs grad student   elm@ginger.berkeley.edu
#include <std/disclaimer.h>     {...}!ucbvax!ginger!elm
"I like the Austrian way better." -- Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.

In article <6665@pdn.paradyne.com> reggie@dinsdale.nm.paradyne.com
(George W. Leach) writes:
[list of distributed O/S projects, much deleted]
>PROJECT:	Parallel OS
>CONTACT:	Bob Bruce		(rab@mimsy.umd.edu)
>		University of Maryland
>		Laboratory for Parallel Computation
>		Department of Computer Science
>		College Park, MD  20742

This project is gone (along with most if not all of LPC itself), and
rab is now working on the Sprite project at UC Berkeley (in Evans hall
on the 6th floor, more or less right above the CSRG [4.4BSD]...).

(ZMob and McMob are collecting dust in the medium-size machine room
down the hall and around the corner from my office.)
--
`They were supposed to be green.'

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (10/20/89)

> I am interested in a 'Systems' type program.  My main field of
> expertise is database systems.  I am also interested in distributed
> systems, parallel computing, and software engineering.

"Systems" and "Software Engineering" are very interesting, but they're
tough areas to get a Ph.D. in.  If Illinois is a good barometer, do
not expect to make a large software project into your Ph.d.  The Ph.D.
is fundamentally different from the M.S. in this respect.  Also,
thesis in these areas takes THE LONGEST of nearly all the disciplines
of C.S. (except perhaps AI).

If you want to teach, it's hard to survive in the Systems area,
because during your first five years you have little manpower, you
probably need several dedicated machines and also need decent
low-level tools (both these facilities are hard to find at even the
hardware-rich schools).

There are a number of large, stagnant distributed systems projects
rotting at various schools.  Many of these systems are dormant, so
don't expect to contribute to these projects.  Make sure you
investigate the distributed systems projects carefully.

Perhaps you should exploit your interests in database and/or parallel
systems.  I know it's not on the Coast, but Illinois has several
parallel processing and supercomputing projects (the Cedar project,
the Tapestry hypercube OS project, and NCSA).

You can go to a school and become a coder on some high-profile
software system (X11, Ingres, 4.xBSD), but this is not the same as
advancing towards a Ph.D.

Don't equate a high-profile implementation project with high-impact
research.  Tonight I was reading the 8th RDS (reliable distributed
systems) proceedings, and I recall several "classics" [Lamport78]
[Gifford79] [Lampson81] [Reed83] that were never implemented by their
authors.

Disclaimer:  These are the views of an (?impartial?) former systems
person.

rpandey@upas.CS.ORST.EDU (Rajeev Pandey) (10/21/89)

waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (jerry waldorf) writes:
>In article <2533@hydra.gatech.EDU> russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) writes:
> >it should have been just the School of CS.  It rose in the early 80's to
> >mid-teens in the rankings.  I don't know, but I suspect it dropped back
> >down somewhat in the mid-late 80's, a prisoner to a College that didn't
> >understand what CS needed, etc.

> 	Where is everyone getting these rankings.  If anyone has a reliable
> source of these rankings can you please give me the title of the publication.
> Do these rankings come out once a year?  Please respond.

 I have seen rankings for graduate schools in the various fields in those
 CPC Career Planning Guides that seemed to manifest themselves in large
 quantities at the college Placement Office. I believe the source of the
 rankings was the National Academy of Sciences (although I am not sure). Other
 career placement guides also had rankings (from different sources), and just
 like in athletics, they differed by a litle, but not much.

 The last time I looked was in 1987, so I'm not sure if they still list the
 rankings.

--------
Department of Computer Science    |   Rajeev "Raju" Pandey
Computer Science Building 100     |
Oregon State University           |  Internet: rpandey@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, OR  97331-3902  U.S.A. |  UUCP:     tektronix!orstcs!rpandey
(503) 737-3273 fax: (503) 737-3014|  UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!rpandey

--------