[comp.edu] Recomendations needed for a book to teach intro C

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (11/15/89)

I will be teaching C at a small local college this winter and
would like some recomendations for a good teaching text for the
C programming language.

mjb@nucleus.UUCP (Mark Bobak) (11/16/89)

In article <16945@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I will be teaching C at a small local college this winter and
>would like some recomendations for a good teaching text for the
>C programming language.

You just Said it yourself, "The C Programming Language", By Kernighan and
Ritchie, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall, 1988.  ISBN 0-13-110362-8.

--
Mark Bobak
The Nucleus Public Access Unix, Clarkston, Mi.

MARWK@levels.sait.edu.au (11/16/89)

In article <16945@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
> I will be teaching C at a small local college this winter and
> would like some recomendations for a good teaching text for the
> C programming language.

I have used a book by Kelley and Pohl to teach TURBO C and I like its
unique method of 'dissection' for analysing programs they discuss in the
book.  The exercises are good too.  If you are using TURBO C (with its
wonderful environment and speed of compilation and good error message
generation and to-the-line access of them) then take a look a this book.

Ray

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (11/17/89)

I'm teaching a 2nd year data structures course; I start the students off
with a book called ``A Workbook on C'', by Sant, published by
Prentice-Hall Canada, followed by K&R, 2nd edition. The Sant book covers
a small subset of C, enough to do basic kinds of things, without
drowning people in all sorts of rules. K&R is most definitely the book
which real C programmers need.

I even got Prentice-Hall Canada to agree to selling the two books as a
shrink-wrapped package, thus lowering the cost. I don't know whether PH
US markets Sant.

Now if I could just find a good data structures book which uses C: I'm
currently using van Wyk, which is not bad as a data structures book, but
the code in it uses Classic C. Ugh.

--
____________  Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
___ \  _____  The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn

das@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg) (11/19/89)

In article <16945@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I will be teaching C at a small local college this winter and
>would like some recomendations for a good teaching text for the
>C programming language.

I've had great success with
	Miller, Larry and Quilici, Alex,  The Turbo C Survival Guide (Wiley)
adapted from their earlier  Programming in C  (Wiley)
Unlike a lot of books, which delay pointers for as long as possible, these
books early on get into pointers and their intimate relationship with arrays.
I've noticed that people given an early presentation of pointers are
comfortable with pointers much sooner than those who don't learn them until
later.

K&R is a fine book for people who have a solid programmer's background -- i.e.,
who know something about programming language implementation, data structures,
etc.  K&R tend to state a fact once, assuming the reader has the background
to catch it and understand its implications.  From what I've seen when I've
taught C, most people in academia and industry don't have that background in
enough depth to appreciate K&R when they first learn C; only later do they
decide they like the book.

-- David Smallberg, das@cs.ucla.edu, ...!{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!cs.ucla.edu!das

karhu@cs.umu.se (Erik Lindstr|m) (11/21/89)

In article <16945@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I will be teaching C at a small local college this winter and
>would like some recomendations for a good teaching text for the
>C programming language.

I use 'C programming in a UNIX environment', Kay & Kummerfeld, Addison-Wesley
1988, and the students like it.