[comp.edu] educational software

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (09/01/88)

Hello,

I was wondering what educational software (for grades K-12 and remedial
skills training), either PD or commercial, was available for the IBM PC
and clones?  Who are some of the good sources for this software, and are
there any lists floating around that designate them?

Please email responses to "root@mjbtn.UUCP".  Thanks in advance!

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37130 ___________________________

mpcook@chinet.UUCP (Michael P. Cook) (09/03/88)

In <284@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US> Mark Bailey asks:
>I was wondering what educational software (for grades K-12 and remedial
>skills training), either PD or commercial, was available for the IBM PC
>and clones?  Who are some of the good sources for this software, and are

I run a public bulletin board devoted to children's public domain
educational software.  It is primarily for MS/PC-DOS systems and
you can call 24 hours a day at 312-383-6335 (3/12/2400 8N1).  We
have over 10-12 MEGs of files available for downloading...give us
a call.
-- Mike
Mike Cook                                       Oak Park, IL
usenet: ...!(who knows anymore?)!...!chinet!mpcook     or...
data:   312-383-6335 - Discovery Place BBS, 3/12/2400, 8N1
                       Home of Children's Software Library

maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) (09/08/88)

	Comment and question, both prompted by a request for
educational software listings:

	Comment:  the general quality of "educational" software in
the liberal arts, particularly once one gets past the primary/secondary
level, is exceptionally poor (may well be poor at the lower levels; I
have no expertise there).

	Questions:  does anyone know of advanced (i.e., college-level)
educational software that works well in the areas of (1) general
humanities, (2) writing (expository, creative, whatever), (3)
literature.  I would be extremely interested in anything that shows
any promise at all in these areas (the wastelands of educational
software in my experience).

treese@athena.mit.edu (Win Treese) (09/09/88)

In article <684@novavax.UUCP> maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:

>	Questions:  does anyone know of advanced (i.e., college-level)
>educational software that works well in the areas of (1) general
>humanities, (2) writing (expository, creative, whatever), (3)
>literature.  I would be extremely interested in anything that shows
>any promise at all in these areas (the wastelands of educational
>software in my experience).

There is some interesting work going on in education software at MIT's
Project Athena.  In the humanities areas, there are projects in writing
and foreign languages among others.

Some of the aspects of the Writing Project included use of an "electronic
classroom" to revise text "on-the-fly" with all the students in a class
participating as well as the construction of tools to aid in writing.
One of the essays in the book 'Text, ConText, and HyperText' (MIT Press)
discusses this project.

The foreign language projects are built around a multi-media workstation
which uses video, audio, and graphics to help the student learn the language.

I'm not completely up-to-date on these and other projects (humanities and
otherwise) that use Project Athena.  If you're interested in more information,
send me mail and I'll send you back a contact at Athena.

	Win Treese
	Cambridge Research Lab/MIT Project Athena
	Digital Equipment Corp.
	treese@athena.mit.edu

fordjm@byuvax.bitnet (09/09/88)

>the wastelands of educational software in my experience.

This is my experience as well.  Please post a summary of the responses you
get.

Thanks,

John M. Ford     <fordjm@byuvax.bitnet>

#! rnews           2

mps@ntcsd1.UUCP (Michael P. Smith) (12/03/89)

I have volunteered to help choose educational software for my daughter's
elementary school (pre-K through 6).  They have Apple IIs (E, + -- whatever
it is that kicks them up to 64k).  I've taught a little Logo to college
students, and have Kids Time for my Mac at home, but that's all I know
about this field.

If you have some knowledge/opinions about the use of computers in elementary
education which you think are of general interest, please post.  If you have
specific programs to recommend, please e-mail.  I'll post a summary in a
couple of weeks.

Thanks.
	Mike Smith  (mps@ntcsd1 | mcnc!rti!ntcsd1!mps)

royg@ibmpa.UUCP (Roy Gordon) (12/20/89)

I'm looking for software for my children, primarily educational software,
but I'm interested in any that would involve thought on their part.
I'm not interested in their becoming inter-active couch potatoes,
substituting (or adding!) mindless games for TV.

For the older I'd like to acquire some good reading, spelling, writing,
math programs.  For the younger one, something that will engage him and
require some more thinking than a game.  I've been thinking of a paint
program, since he loves to draw.

Since my children will grow older, I'm also interested in programs
for ages somewhat more advanced than theirs.

Recommendations?  Sources for educational software?  Journals, etc.,
that review and recommend software for childen?  Sources that publish
best 10 lists of "proven" programs?  All will be greatly appreciated.

The software would need to be for an AT clone.  Is their a sufficient
base of good educational software for PC compatibles, or does one
really need an Apple?  One place I called in San Francisco,
Cheapie Software, which I was told specialized in educational software,
said they didn't stock any programs for PCs, only for Apples,
but they would order them for me if I knew what I wanted.

Thanks in advance.

			-- Roy

uunet!ibmsupt!royg

Usual disclaimers plus not an employee of IBM.

royg@ibmpa.UUCP (Roy Gordon) (12/20/89)

Re: my previous request for good educational software for my children:

Oops, I forgot to mention, my older child is 6 and in first grade.
The younger one is 4 and in pre-school.

			-- Roy

Usual disclaimers + not an employee of IBM.

arnaud@cbnews.ATT.COM (alain.arnaud) (12/21/89)

In the 12 december 1989 edition of the NY Times, there was a review
of educational software in the Peripherals column.

Here's a synopsis of what was recommended:

1. My grand piano, 31 favorite songs, computer can play them, or
a child can play a song on the keyboard and save it to disk.

2. Firehouse Rescue, challenges the coordination and memory in
navigating a fire truck thru a maze to rescue people from houses and
a cat from a tree. Attractive graphics, seven skills levels, for 3-8
yrs old.

The above two packages are published by Gametek (305) 935-3995.

3. Sesame street first writer, word processor for preschooler.

4. Muppet Print Kit, representations for 60 muppets charcters.

3 & 4 from Hi-Tech expressions, 584 broadway, NY, NY

5. Reader Rabbit, an outstanding program for children 4 -7. Under
the guise of 4 games, the program teaches the essentials of reading, spelling
and vocabulary, drawing on a list of more than 200 3-letter words.

6. For grads of reader rabbit, for 8-11 yrs old, Super Solvers Midnight
Rescue, which improves reading and deductive powers.

5 & 6 published by the Learning Company 1-800-852-2255

I purchased reader rabbit for my 4 yr old from egghead for ~$35. He loves it.

Alan Arnaud

Guest Account till 12/31/89 arnaud@angate.ATT.COM
Permanent Account: uunet!ecla!arnaud

Standard disclaimer + Just a consultant

mpcook@chinet.chi.il.us (Mike Cook) (12/22/89)

<I'm looking for software for my children, primarily educational software,
<but I'm interested in any that would involve thought on their part.
<I'm not interested in their becoming inter-active couch potatoes,
<substituting (or adding!) mindless games for TV.

  Call the DISCOVERY PLACE BBS in Oak Park IL at 708-383-6335 3/12/2400
  baud, 8N1. We maintain a large collection of public domain and shareware
  educational software for a range of ages totalling over 20 megs online.
  You may also order diskettes by US mail for a minimal fee.

<Recommendations?  Sources for educational software?  Journals, etc.,
<that review and recommend software for childen?  Sources that publish

  There are messages on the bbs that critique educational software, and a
  request there will also get a response from parents.

<The software would need to be for an AT clone.  Is their a sufficient
<base of good educational software for PC compatibles, or does one
<really need an Apple?  One place I called in San Francisco,

  All of our software is for the IBM or IBM compatible.

  -- Mike Cook