[comp.edu] University entrance regulation

gunnaro@rhi.hi.is (Gunnar Orvarsson) (12/18/89)

					Reykjavik, 18.12. 1989

    To whom it may concern,

	On behalf of the students in the University Council of the University
 of Iceland, we would like, with this article, to ask you for some information
 regarding the entrance regulations in your universities for students without
 a standard secondary school diploma.
	We would like the present regulation valid in the University of
 Iceland to be revised, as today the chances of admission for these students
 are not only minimal, but also dependent on ad hoc decision of faculties
 or even persons.  We have the impression that the chances of admission of
 these students in other countries are greater and that the decisions involved
 are less subjectively made.  In order for us to be able to prepare our issue
 as thoroughly as possible, it would be of great help to receive information
 from as many universities as possible.  Therefore we would be greatful if
 you could answer these following questions, or, otherwise, if you consult
 someone who can.

    1. What are the standard regulations for admission of students without a
       secondary school diploma?
       What is the general purpose of these regulations?

    2. Is each application treated separately?  By whom and on the basis of
       what information?  Is the agae of the applicant of importance?  Other
       factors?

    3. What has been the experience with these regulations so far?  Are there
       many such applications?  Are some groups more represented among the
       applicants than others ( men/women, unemployed, foreign students,...)?
       Are the applications aimed at specific faculties or studies more than
       others?  How is the performance of these students?

    4. Are the students/teachers at your universities generally satisfied with
       these regulations?  Have specific criticisms come up? Have alternatives
       been suggested?  Have other regulations existed in the past?  If so,
       when and why were they changed?

   Please, e-mail your answers directly to me, or post them as an article on
   this newsgroup.

   With sincere thanks and friendly greetings,

   on behalf of Roskva, The union of socially orientated students in the
   Universty of Iceland,

                Gunnar Orvarsson (gunnaro@rhi.hi.is)

   Physical address:

                      Gunnar Orvarsson
		      Vikurbakka 14
		      109 Reykjavik
		      Iceland

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (12/19/89)

I'm not an official with Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, but
I know that people need either a high school diploma or a general education
certificate.

The ad-hoc admission standards should be eliminated for the good of everyone.
Even when there are standards in place, there must be some overseer to make
sure that people can't circumvent them.

I have personal knowledge that this occurs at Wayne State - particularily
in the Computer Science Department. The university bulletin states that a
student must have at least a 3.0 G.P.A. to be admitted to the Master's
Program, but I know that there are many students (especially foreign
students) who have GPA's under 3.0, some of them with 1.5's and 1.6's.
The only time that the CS department pulls out the rule book is if someone
in charge of admissions has something personal against the applicant, or
is a friend of someone who has such a grudge. The moral of the story:
"Be sure to have a very strong overseer".

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  300/1200/2400 baud, 8/N/1.  Want a login id?? Dial us up, type 'new'   -
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  300/1200/2400 baud, 8/N/1.  Want a login id?? Dial us up, type 'new'   -
=  as a login id.   E-Mail Address: ...!sharkey!tygra!jpp                 =
-  "...no one in all the world is innocent", -- a biblical scholar        -

jwhite@garnet.berkeley.edu (Jonathan White) (12/20/89)

The California master plan for higher education provides
for three levels: The University of California, The
California State University system, and the California
Community College the Community Colleges provide, among
other things, two year academic degrees. To attend one
of these two year schools you must be a high school graduate
or 18 years of age. Those who have gotten a degree from one
^^
of the Community Colleges are then eligable to go on to the
University of California or one of the State Universities
depending on their GPA on graduating (it must be higher to
go to U.C. than to the Cal State system)

jonathan

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (12/21/89)

In article <10@tygra.UUCP> jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:

>I'm not an official with Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, but
>I know that people need either a high school diploma or a general education
>certificate.
>
>The ad-hoc admission standards should be eliminated for the good of everyone.
>Even when there are standards in place, there must be some overseer to make
>sure that people can't circumvent them.

Having much experience in the matter, I disagree completely.  Purdue does not
usually admit students without high school diplomas, but only good students
in that category.  The problem is with students who have a high school
diploma which states that the student has had certain courses with certain
grades; even this is not trustworthy, and the course contents may be almost
non-existent.  Meaningful standards do not mean grades and credentials.

>I have personal knowledge that this occurs at Wayne State - particularily
>in the Computer Science Department. The university bulletin states that a
>student must have at least a 3.0 G.P.A. to be admitted to the Master's
>Program, but I know that there are many students (especially foreign
>students) who have GPA's under 3.0, some of them with 1.5's and 1.6's.
>The only time that the CS department pulls out the rule book is if someone
>in charge of admissions has something personal against the applicant, or
>is a friend of someone who has such a grudge. The moral of the story:
>"Be sure to have a very strong overseer".

I know much more about admissions to graduate programs, and I assure you that
foreign students are scrutinized much more carefully than American students.
Are you sure that you understand a foreign transcript?  Do you know what the
grades mean?  I have much less difficulty in assessing a foreign student than
an American student, and I doubt that CS departments are more desperate than
mathematics or statistics departments are.  In mathematics and statistics,
finding American students for the PhD program is a real problem, and I under-
stand that this is also the case in CS.  Most departments will not support
foreign students who are not interested in a PhD, and a typical MS program
does not lead to a PhD program.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

fhadsell@csm9a.UUCP ( GP) (12/25/89)

In article <1797@l.cc.purdue.edu>, cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
> In article <10@tygra.UUCP> jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:

> >The ad-hoc admission standards should be eliminated for the good of everyone.
> >Even when there are standards in place, there must be some overseer to make
> >sure that people can't circumvent them.
>
> Having much experience in the matter, I disagree completely.  Purdue does not
> usually admit students without high school diplomas, but only good students
> in that category.  The problem is with students who have a high school
> diploma which states that the student has had certain courses with certain
> grades; even this is not trustworthy, and the course contents may be almost
> non-existent.  Meaningful standards do not mean grades and credentials.
>
> >I have personal knowledge that this occurs at Wayne State - particularily
> >in the Computer Science Department. The university bulletin states that a
> >student must have at least a 3.0 G.P.A. to be admitted to the Master's
> >Program, but I know that there are many students (especially foreign
> >students) who have GPA's under 3.0, some of them with 1.5's and 1.6's.
>
> I know much more about admissions to graduate programs, and I assure you that
> foreign students are scrutinized much more carefully than American students.
> Are you sure that you understand a foreign transcript?  Do you know what the
> --
> Herman Rubin, Dept. of Statistics, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette IN47907
> Phone: (317)494-6054
> hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

At Colorado School of Mines the big debate concerning admission of grad-
uate students has, for the last 30 years, been the Graduate Admission
Examination.  The majority opinion seems to be that the GRE is useful,
but not essential, for US candidates; however, it is essential for
foreign applicants.

Hard-and-fast admission requirements always seem to come back to haunt us.
Some of our best students, and admitedly some of our worst, have been those
who we wouldn't normally admit, but who had something special in their
portfolio that we thought we needed.

Academe in general and US Academe in particular is changing drastically,
probably for the better.  At CSM, and other schools that have dedicated a
major portion of their effort to mineral resources, we probably see the
change first because the change in the national economy is most directly
related to what are students are to do.  CSM, for example, must change
to survive, and it is constrained because it is a state school  Thus it
should not attempt to move directly into areas traditionally covered by
CU and CSU (football for example).

The only salvation for CSM that I see is the foreign graduate student.
We must recognize that we can no longer export oil, and much less coal,
but we can export knowledge to those who have an abundance of oil, coal,
and other minerals.  This is happening to CSM today, it will happen to
your school tomorrow, unless you recognize how the tide is flowing.

Keep your admission standards flexible to accommodate students who view
the World much differently than you.  With this flexibility maintain
high standards.  This is not easy and requires a lot of work from
departmental admission committees.  With a flexible admissions procedure
you must be prepared to make mistakes and under those circumstances you
must withhold degrees, without destroying the individual.  This requires
meaningful grades from the short-quiz to the Ph.D. comprehensive.  This
is no minor challenge when you are trying to find research monies
essential to graduate scholarships.

--
 INTERNET:: fhadsell@csm9a.colorado.edu  BITNET:: fhadsell@mines
 Frank Hadsell, Prof. of Geophysics, Colorado School of Mines,