[comp.edu] Why are CD-ROMs so expensive?

pjs269@tijc02.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) (12/22/89)

In doing some research on my Master's Thesis I turned to
Mathematic Review.  Unfortunately, my thesis does not fit
into one of the categories that they have listed.  I was
relieved to find out that they produced a CD-ROM with the
information called MathSci.  I went to the librarian to
find out if they had this disk.  No they didn't.  Why?
Because it cost $3000!

This is an outrageous price for the disk.  A CD-ROM costs
about $10,000 to master and $2/disk to reproduce.  If you
would assume that it cost another $10,000 in manpower to
create these disks (about one man month) then they are
making a killing on these disks!  (Especially when you
examine the costs of shipping and printing which will be
MUCH higher for the book format, which, by the way, costs
much less than $3000.)

Since it costs less to procude the disks, why aren't they
less?  The small technical schools and state schools can't
afford these prices, and are depriving the students with
one of the best breakthroughs in research.  (It would be
quicker for me to drive to the nearest school that does
have the disk than to do the research using the books,
and that school may be 6 hours away!)

arny@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (arny.b.engelson) (12/28/89)

In article <829@tijc02.UUCP> pjs269@tijc02.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) writes:
>In doing some research on my Master's Thesis I turned to
>Mathematic Review.  Unfortunately, my thesis does not fit
>into one of the categories that they have listed.  I was
>relieved to find out that they produced a CD-ROM with the
>information called MathSci.  I went to the librarian to
>find out if they had this disk.  No they didn't.  Why?
>Because it cost $3000!

>This is an outrageous price for the disk.  A CD-ROM costs
>about $10,000 to master and $2/disk to reproduce.  If you
>would assume that it cost another $10,000 in manpower to
>create these disks (about one man month) then they are
>making a killing on these disks!  (Especially when you
>examine the costs of shipping and printing which will be
>MUCH higher for the book format, which, by the way, costs
>much less than $3000.)

So?  What gave you the idea that selling price has anything to do
with production cost?  It doesn't.  You should take a few more
Economics/business classes.  Selling price depends on what people
will pay.  The object is to make the most money, not to sell the
most CDs.  (Note: I'm no expert, and a lot is left out here, but
you get the idea.)

>Since it costs less to procude the disks, why aren't they
>less?  The small technical schools and state schools can't
>afford these prices, and are depriving the students with
>one of the best breakthroughs in research.  (It would be
>quicker for me to drive to the nearest school that does
>have the disk than to do the research using the books,
>and that school may be 6 hours away!)

Bingo!  Now you've told us (part of the reason) why the CDs are
more expensive.  If you're willing to drive 6 hours to use the
CD instead of the books, that CD is worth a lot more than the
books.  Therefore, (some) people are willing to pay more for it.
(There's also probably little or no competition; it's a new/sexy
technology; probably a limited market; etc.)

The sad part is: you are right.  Students (and others) are losing
out because of the high price.  It's a shame.  Hey, I got an idea:
why don't you start a competing firm, raise some money, master the
CD, and sell it cheap!

rsc@altair.uucp (Steve Cunningham) (12/29/89)

> In article <829@tijc02.UUCP> pjs269@tijc02.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) writes:
> In doing some research on my Master's Thesis I turned to
> Mathematic Review...[remarks on missing MathSci]..Because it cost $3000!
>
> This is an outrageous price for the disk.  A CD-ROM costs
> about $10,000 to master and $2/disk to reproduce.  If you
> would assume that it cost another $10,000 in manpower to
> create these disks (about one man month) then they are
> making a killing on these disks!

As I understand the nature of MathSci and Mathematics Reviews, there are
three cost factors involved.  The first is the cost of running MR's (as
we called them when I was in the MathBiz and reviewed for them) -- this is
quite high, and MR's probably ran a deficit in the American Mathematical
Society publications budget (personal guess).  The second is the cost of
actually preparing the CD-ROM, and I'll bet there's some fairly good
indexing and direct access programming on it -- I have *serious* doubts
about the "one man month" assumption!  This is programming -- and that's
never cheap.  The third is a personal guess that there is a third party
involved in the works somewhere, that this is a commercial concern, and
that they don't work free.

At any rate, the implication of the original posting is that the AMS is
ripping off the mathematical public (THERE's an oxymoron!) by charging
too much for this disk.  I strongly doubt this, since the AMS is a
professional organization with open books, and such organizations are
very sensitive to the benefit/cost ratio.

Oh, do I think that $3000 is a lot of money?  You bet!  We certainly do
not have this disk (or, to put it more correctly, this *service*, since
it probably involved updates as well, and it is the service that's being
paid for).  But I don't think it's as simple as the posting suggests.

Disclaimer:  I am not now a member of the American Mathematical Society,
             am not associated in any way with this project, and may not
             know all the details I suggest above.

In article <829@tijc02.UUCP> pjs269@tijc02.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) writes:
>[$3000] is an outrageous price for [a] disk.  A CD-ROM costs
>about $10,000 to master and $2/disk to reproduce. ...

No comment about the outrageousness, etc.  However, unless there is
some substantial difference between mastering a CD-ROM and mastering
a regular (music) CD, these costs are too high.  A run of 1000 CDs
will cost a band around $4k: $2k for the master and $2/disk.  The
price per disk goes down as the number of disks goes up.  (It might
be $1k for the master; I forget.  Anyway, they are cheap to make.)

As someone suggested in a followup: this is an ideal chance for you
to make money.  Accrete some investors (Venture Capitalists) and go
into business selling CD-ROMs for $10/CD....

lrccon@ux.acs.umn.edu (Philip Arny) (12/29/89)

A note about CD-ROM costs: what you are buying with that large sum
is NOT the physical CD-ROM, the cost of mastering & pressing it, or
even the cost of writing the retrieval software (though all of those
are part of the cost); what you are buying is the INFORMATION on the
disk, collected, collated, and indexed for ease of access.  Go ask
a librarian how much Chemical Abstracts or the Science Citation Index
costs, if you want a shock.  Makes most CD-ROMs look like pocket change.

Philip Arny

edm002@muvms3.bitnet (12/29/89)

In article <3430@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, arny@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (arny.b.engelson) writes:
> In article <829@tijc02.UUCP> pjs269@tijc02.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) writes:
>>In doing some research on my Master's Thesis I turned to
>>Mathematic Review.  Unfortunately, my thesis does not fit
>>into one of the categories that they have listed.  I was
>>relieved to find out that they produced a CD-ROM with the
>>information called MathSci.  I went to the librarian to
>>find out if they had this disk.  No they didn't.  Why?
>>Because it cost $3000!
	And I assume that's not counting the dedicated PC and CD-ROM reader
that the library must acquire.  Plus, there's been little work until recently
on standardizing the operating systems of these little devils.
	By comparison, if you're running some software on your IBM PC, and you
exit back to the A> prompt (or c> or whatever), someone can come along and run
a totally different software package without so much as a murmur.  Not so on
the CD-ROMs, at least the way they were originally marketed.  The software
controlling MathSci probably would not operate ERIC or MEDLINE or CINAHL.  So,
at least in the early days, libraries were looking at the prospects of a room
full of PCs, each dedicated to a particular CD-ROM service.
	Which of the services should the library buy?  Well, they're not going
to buy more than 1 or 2, unless they're a big-bucks sci-tech/engineering outfit
with money to spare.  So, even if the diskettes cost $2 each, the market is not
as wide open as, for example, the market for phonograph records--or music CDs,
for that matter.  There is a lot of hardware cost up front to the library, and
a commitment to a particular supplier of CD-ROM products [reminds me of the
TRS-80 vertical-integration story, in a way].
	As I understand, co-operation among CD-ROM producers was definitely
*not* chic in the early days, although I have heard that [as with railroad
track guage, computer operating systems, and everything else] some winners are
emerging into a default common system.

> The object is to make the most money, not to sell the
> most CDs.  (Note: I'm no expert, and a lot is left out here, but
> you get the idea.)
	And, they were sold by dedicating hardware/software configurations for
libraries--making it impossible to run a competitor's products.

> (There's also probably little or no competition; it's a new/sexy
> technology; probably a limited market; etc.)
>
> The sad part is: you are right.  Students (and others) are losing
> out because of the high price.  It's a shame.  Hey, I got an idea:
> why don't you start a competing firm, raise some money, master the
> CD, and sell it cheap!

	Good luck.  And remember, avoid what FORBES magazine calls "Chinese
marketing":  thinking, "If there are 4 billion people in China, and each one
drinks one Coca-Cola every day, then...."  The market is a whole lot more than
counting the number of libraries or math majors or subscribers to an index.
	How should I know?  I'm a librarian.
--
         edm002@muvms3.bitnet,Marshall University
         Fred R. Reenstjerna     | I stick my neck out

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (12/30/89)

CD-ROM is about the same as music CDs as far as cost goes.  I've got
a document here that Apple sent to all Apple developers pushing CD
ROM and it tells what the costs are:

	100 CD-ROMs cost about $1700 + $2/additional disk

The easy way to make one is to just put all your data on a hard disk
and send it to one of several companies that make CD-ROM, and 5 to 10
days later, you'll have yours CD-ROMs back.

The harder way to make a CD-ROM involves making a tape that you send
to the pressing company.  This is a lot more work, but you get to
put stuff like audio on the disk if you want this way.  This kind
of disk will cost you more initially, because you have to buy or rent
the equipment to make the tape.

						Tim Smith

ps: I don't remember where I saw this, but I think there was a company
that was offering to do small CD-ROM runs for something like $500 for
mastering and 10 disks.

<
< less?  The small technical schools and state schools can't
< afford these prices, and are depriving the students with
< one of the best breakthroughs in research.  (It would be
< quicker for me to drive to the nearest school that does
< have the disk than to do the research using the books,
< and that school may be 6 hours away!)

[ enter off-the-wall speculation mode ]

Hmmm.  Maybe this is why they charge so much.  If one school buys
the disk, then it's quicker for people within six hours of that
school to drive there and use the disk rather than use the books
at their own school.

So when they sell one disk, they risk having all schools within six
hours stop buying the books, so maybe they price the disk high enough
to make up for lost book sales?

Maybe they should drop the books and price the CD-ROM at what the
books now cost.

					Tim Smith

lrccon@ux.acs.umn.edu (Philip Arny) (01/03/90)

Remember -- what you're paying for is not the CD-ROM disk, but
the information and indexing on the disk.  That is what costs so
much, because MOST of that is done by humans, still.

Philip Arny
Bio-Medical Library
University of Minnesota