[comp.edu] Teaching myself C, and how?

botterry@ac.dal.ca (12/19/89)

Hi there!

I am an M.Sc. student in biology and I'm looking to invest some time in
learning how to use "C".  I was wondering which "C" would be best to buy, my
being a non-programmer.  I've heard of Quick C, Microsoft C, Lattice C, Turbo
C,and C++.  Could anyone out there help me?

Terry Grignon
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (12/21/89)

As someone who has taught C for a long time, I think that there are few
worse things that an non-programmer can do to him/herself than to learn
C. The reasons are not to do with the claimed lack of elegance of the
language, but rather with the fact that you need to know a fair bit
about the underlying computer to use C effectively.

I would strongly recommend a Pascal-like language (e.g., Turbo Pascal or
TopSpeed Modula) over C as a first language.

--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."

jvance@ics.uci.edu (Joachim Patrick Vance) (01/01/90)

In article <6038@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:
>As someone who has taught C for a long time...

   What texts would you then reccomend for a person who wants to learn
C on his own and has a fair background in programming in some other
high and/or low level language. thanks.

Joachim
--
Joachim
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   What do my .sig and UCI have in common?    |

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (01/04/90)

In article <259E48A4.1971@paris.ics.uci.edu> Joachim Patrick Vance
<jvance@ics.uci.edu> writes:

>   What texts would you then reccomend for a person who wants to learn
>C on his own and has a fair background in programming in some other
>high and/or low level language. thanks.

Kernighan & Ritchie, \i{The C Programming Language}, 2nd ed,
(Prentice-Hall) is the definitive book. It's compact, has lots of good
examples, and uses ANSI C. (The first edition is still in print, for
those who refuse to give up their brain-damaged pre-ANSI compilers).
(I learned C from the precursor to this, Brian Kernighan's old `C
Tutorial'.)

Kelley & Pohl, \i{A Book on C}, (Benjamin/Cummings) is also good.
Unfortunately, it's pre-ANSI.

--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."
 /\  University of British Columbia                        -- A. Trevor Hodge
/  \ Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1W5 (604) 228-2394

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (01/05/90)

I recommend "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele
(Prentice-Hall).  This ANSII C book is about as definitive as
Kernighan & Ritchie's book.  The authors, who have written numerous C
compilers and know the ideosyncracies of the language, contributed to
the ANSII X3J11 standardization effort.

The book is a very well-organized reference (better than K & R, in my
opinion).  My experience with K & R (I have the 1st edition) is that
it's a great read, but a painful reference.  Material is scattered
throughout the book, and the index is not great.

Harbison & Steele covers the entire language and libraries in less
than 400 pages.  Some overly tutorial books blow 700 pages and still
omit large portions of the C language.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies