[comp.edu] Visualization in Education

pepke@loligo (Eric Pepke) (01/05/90)

In article <5912@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>It seems that the various specialities in computer science do not
>communicate with one another.  Whereas some fields are just
>discovering uses for computer graphics, computer graphics could
>learn to use a few things from other computer science specialities.
>One of the most distinguished (and oldest PhDs) in CS, E. Dijsktra
>just had a special article published in the most recent CACM on
>teaching CS.  In it he comes down hard on the topic of "Visualization."
>He drops a particular attack on algorithm animation.

I don't want to get into a flame war about Dijkstra in general, but I am
not going to lose too much sleep over what he said about visualization.
He was talking about a certain educational application which was labeled
with that term.  He gave no indication that he spent more energy than
required by a sneer finding out about visualization in general.  As he is
such a hard-line bottom-upper, he would perhaps disapprove anyway, and he
might even have valid points, but his comments in CACM about visualization
do not have enough semantic content to speak about.

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.