[comp.edu] spelling reform

jon@hanauma (Jon Claerbout) (02/02/90)

Anybody know about any word lists for spelling reform?
I'd especially like to access them over the net.

I've nearly finished writing a textbook
and I wonder how it'd look in phonetic spelling.
I think its a shame the way young people are urged to waste their time
learning spelling.
Many languages don't have a spelling problem---Czech and Italian I am told.

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (02/03/90)

From article <8795@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by jon@hanauma (Jon Claerbout):

> I think its a shame the way young people are urged to waste their time
> learning spelling.

Eye thinck ur write.  Wi lurn howe 2 spel wen if u jest spel a wurd lik
it sonds everee buddy wil no wut u meen.  It iz a big wayst of tim.

No wut I meen?
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan@aqdata.uucp

edm002@muvms3.bitnet (02/08/90)

In article <8795@portia.Stanford.EDU>, jon@hanauma (Jon Claerbout) writes:
> Anybody know about any word lists for spelling reform?
> I'd especially like to access them over the net.
>
> I've nearly finished writing a textbook
> and I wonder how it'd look in phonetic spelling.

	You probably know the name 'Dewey' from Melville Dewey's Decimal
Classification [DDC] used in many libraries.  Many folks don't know that one of
Melville's real passions in life was phonetic spelling--this is why the library
card or online 'catalog' is spelled that way, instead of 'catalogue,' as the
Brits do.  Look at an earlier edition of DDC--up until about edition 11 or so,
they were reprinting Melville's original introduction in phonetic spelling as
he wrote it.  Any large academic library that has even an undergraduate library
science program, and some public libraries [especially those that never weed
their collections], will have these earlier editions of DDC.
	It's a real experience to try to read 'Melvil Dui,' as he styled
himself, in the original--and it's lots of phonetic spelling in one place.
--
         edm002@muvms3.bitnet,Marshall University
         Fred R. Reenstjerna     | I stick my neck out