[comp.edu] Course on Computers and the Law

douglas@ms.uky.edu (John Douglas Turner) (02/27/90)

Has anyone seen a course taught to CS majors at BS,MS or PhD level conserning
Computers and the Law?

If so what topics were taught, if not what topics do you think need to be
stressed in such a course?

This course could simply be a seminar course about patents, copyrights,
ethical uses and abuses of computers, and maybe AI.

john....

--
John Douglas Turner		douglas@ms.uky.edu   or  douglas@UKMA.BITNET
University of Kentucky			{rutgers,uunet}!ukma!douglas

perlman@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Gary Perlman) (03/01/90)

In article <14340@s.ms.uky.edu> douglas@ms.uky.edu (John Douglas Turner) writes:
>Has anyone seen a course taught to CS majors at BS,MS or PhD level conserning
>Computers and the Law?
>
>John Douglas Turner		douglas@ms.uky.edu   or  douglas@UKMA.BITNET
>University of Kentucky			{rutgers,uunet}!ukma!douglas

In my software engineering class, I begin with this important topic.
The ethical aspects of intellectual property protection (both from
developer and employer points of view), those of liability, and those
of contracts, are issues about which students should be exposed.
They also help motivate many procedures in software engineering,
such as quality assurance, better than most approaches.

In my course, I devote two hours of lectures to intellectual property
protection (copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret), liability
and warranty, and contracts (personal service, work for hire, etc.).
It is an approach that would make a lawyer wince, because they devote
series of courses to each of these topics, but I am not a lawyer.
I introduce each topic with ethical dilemmas.  For example, in copyrights,
I ask if it is okay for the students to "share" copies a "really fun game" but
then ask them if it is okay for others to "share" a program that they wrote;
then I explain their inconsistency.  In liability, I ask them if they
should be held responsible for damages caused by a "tiny little bug"
in software they wrote, but then ask them if they think they should be
compensated if their word-processor trashes their disk.

I hesitate to say that you could get more detail on what I cover
by asking for a copy of my troff-slide lecture notes.

At te Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie-Mellon University,
there is a curriculum development project in which modules survey
the content and bibliography needed to put together courses on
subjects related to software engineering.  There are two or three
modules covering aspects of software law.  You can get information
about them by writing to:
	Dr. Norman Gibbs
	Director of Education
	Software Engineering Institute
	Carnegie-Mellon University
	Pittsburgh, PA 15213
	gibbs@sei.cmu.edu

You also might want to look at the CACM over the past two years.
Pamela Samuelson has written several cogent articles on intellectual
property and software.  She has also worked on the SEI modules.

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T. :-)
--
Name:  Gary Perlman               | Computer and Information Science Department
Email: perlman@cis.ohio-state.edu | Ohio State University, 228 Bolz Hall