[comp.edu] MIT Intro. classes

gds@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Skinner) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar6.074924.2026@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  Second, why should engineers in disciplines that don't require
>in-depth physics knowledge be required to take more than two semesters
>of physics?  Do computer scientists need more than two semesters?  The
>engineers that need physics to do their major end up taking more physics
>-- the electrical engineers certainly end up taking more physics, even
>if that physics is part of a EECS department class, rather than part of
>a Physics department class.

This is an interesting question to me, something I've been exploring
with some of my friends who are MIT alumni.  How much math and physics
do computer scientists need?

As I had commented in a mail message earlier, I remember differential
equations much more fondly than Sussman's class (although Abelson
taught it when I took it).  Perhaps it was because I didn't understand
Sussman's class as well as differential equations.  However, I have
since found lots of uses for differential equations.

Around here, for example, if you want to study the modeling and
analysis of computer networks, you need a fairly good background in
applied math (calculus, differential equations, probablility, linear
algebra, some combinatorics) because the classes (even at the
undergrad level) use it pretty freely.

However, after the core EE courses at MIT, I used about 1% of the math
I had learned previously.  I never had to use any of the math I listed
above for my compilers class, my software engineering class, my
architecture class, etc.  (Side point:  you *do* have to use some math
for computability theory and algorithm analysis, but very little of
the math I listed above.)  I had to use a little calculus in the
computer systems class.

Generaly speaking, at MIT you tend to do a lot of lab work
(programming of some sort).  Undergraduates tend to emphasize
programming.  If you are taking Sussman's class and differential
equations concurrently, let's say, because you know you will need to
know Sussman's material to handle the rest of the CS classes, whereas
there is a chance you will never use differential equations again, you
will (if a choice needs to be made), put more effort into Sussman's
class.  Also, most people have told me that Sussman's class is
generally more difficult than differential equations, if not in the
difficulty of the material itself but in the sheer amount of time it
takes to complete the assigned work.

--gregbo