[comp.edu] The price of Digital Press books

chris@wacsvax.OZ (chris mcdonald) (04/09/90)

I've just received a new list of Digital Press books, via my DECUS mailing
label. I'd be quite happy to buy a couple of them but ...

Many have said that John Quartermain's "The MATRIX: Computer Networks and
Conference Systems Worldwide" is a definitive book about networking and
the Internet, but at $127, Digital Press mustn't want to sell any.

Similarly, finding out about that thing called VMS can't be all bad for my
education. I can buy a 4.3BSD Lefler etal. or a SysV Bach for about $35
each, but Digital Press want $160 for VAX/VMS Internals and Data
Structures" (paperback! and its only Ver4.4).

Don't they want to sell any? Not even DECUS discounts!
Anybody know of some exclusive bookstores selling these at reasonable prices?

-------------------------
chris@budgie.cs.uwa.oz.au

jnixon@andrew.ATL.GE.COM (John F Nixon) (04/09/90)

chris@wacsvax.OZ (chris mcdonald) writes:
>Similarly, finding out about that thing called VMS can't be all bad for my
>education. I can buy a 4.3BSD Lefler etal. or a SysV Bach for about $35
>each, but Digital Press want $160 for VAX/VMS Internals and Data
>Structures" (paperback! and its only Ver4.4).

Cheezy Beets!  I bought the VMS Internals for v4.4 a little over a year ago
and it was just $75 (just! ha!).  There was another copy at Madison Books
and Computers in Huntsville; maybe it is still there (maybe they will ship
to Oz).

The Unix books are *much* better; you must know a fair amount about VMS
before the book will make any sense whatsoever.  Save your money...
----
jnixon@atl.ge.com                    ...steinmetz!atl.decnet!jnxion

mic@ut-emx.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) (04/11/90)

In article <1563@wacsvax.OZ> chris@wacsvax.OZ (chris mcdonald) writes:
>I've just received a new list of Digital Press books, via my DECUS mailing
>label. I'd be quite happy to buy a couple of them but ...
>
>Many have said that John Quartermain's "The MATRIX: Computer Networks and
>Conference Systems Worldwide" is a definitive book about networking and
>the Internet, but at $127, Digital Press mustn't want to sell any.

At BookStop (a regional (?) discount bookstore in Austin), I paid
somewhere around $40.00-$50.00 for a softbound copy of _The Matrix_.
Maybe Digital Press is binding the version you saw in one of those
gray VMS V5-style binders (part # xxx-0123-yyy :-) :-)

And by the way, if you're doing networking and want to get a
comprehensive view of the *big* (i.e. world-wide) picture, _The
Matrix_ is indeed a book worth having.

--
Mic Kaczmarczik                                   mic@emx.utexas.edu (Internet)
Unix/VMS/Cyber Services                                     mic@utaivc (BITNET)

Please direct consulting questions to gripe@{emx,ix2,ccwf,iv1} as appropriate.

iris@sequoia.execu.com (Iris Strey) (04/11/90)

<      .
<      .
<      .
<
< At BookStop (a regional (?) discount bookstore in Austin), I paid
< somewhere around $40.00-$50.00 for a softbound copy of _The Matrix_.
<      .
<      .
<      .

    By the way, did you know that BookStop is now owned by B. Dalton?
    Yup, just as you thought you could go to a big and nice bookstore
    in the U.S. that was not run by Walden Books or B. Dalton .........

	   :-(

__
Iris Strey			               Execucom Systems Corp
                                               Two Wild Basin
                                               108 Wild Basin Road
{well-known-site}!cs.utexas.edu!execu!iris     Austin, Tx 78746