[comp.edu] GRE scores

asrini@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (asrini) (04/12/90)

> In article <1876@lzga.ATT.COM> shashi@lzga.ATT.COM (Shashi Prasad) writes:
> >   I am asking these questions for my brother. He is completing his B.S.
> >   in comp. sci. and is interested in pursuing a Master's in comp. sci.
> >   He took his GRE (general) test recently and got 800 (quantitative)
> >   760 (analytical) but got only 370 in verbal( he claims he got mixed
> >   up in marking the answers). Now he feels that he would not be able to
> >   get admission in a good school. His undergrad gpa is around 3.5.
> >

> I thought one could rewrite the GRE...if 370 is not reflective of his
> ability than he could take the test again.
>
> --
	The main draw back with GRE is that, if your score is down
	in one of the sections, and you wish to retake the exam then
	you got to retake all of them namely verbal, quantitative and
	analytical.

	This might lead to a higher score in the section you wished to
	improve but might lead to a lower scores in other sections.

	I dont really know whether ETS should allow retaking exam in
	a particular section alone. Then students will take the exam time
	and again until they get 800 in all three sections. Then there
	is no yardstick to measure a student's ability ( if at all GRE
	reflects any!! ) since most of them will be near 2400.

	But it is worth discussing the need for GRE exam, since many
	spend lot of time preparing for it.

asrinivasan
uvic, bc, ca.