[comp.edu] Short Answer Analysis

gris@surf.sics.bu.oz (Dave Gris) (04/09/90)

We are looking for software to analyse responses to short answer questions.
The kind of set-up I imagine would involve the entry of domain information,
the question, the acceptable answer(s) and the students answers. The
software would then mark the answers.

I am not asking for much am I? :-) Stories of failed attempts would
also be appreciated.

Please email me direct, I will summarise if appropriate.

Thanks in advance

Dave Gris
gris@surf.sics.bu.oz.au

meadors@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Tony Meadors) (04/13/90)

In article <938@surf.sics.bu.oz> gris@surf.sics.bu.oz.au (Dave Gris) writes:
>We are looking for software to analyse responses to short answer questions.
>The kind of set-up I imagine would involve the entry of domain information,
>the question, the acceptable answer(s) and the students answers. The
>software would then mark the answers.
>
>I am not asking for much am I? :-)
>Dave Gris

  To say the least, this would be a considerable linguistic/arificial
intelligence undertaking (millions of DOD dollars :^).
Understanding and mimicking human language skills is still in its
infancy: not so much because we don't know alot about the processes, but
because they're so darn complex, and our brain's hardware is uniquely and
compeletely a parallel processor.

  Realistically, a program as general as you describe is
not feasable yet. Why, everyone shouts? Again, its simply that
the complexity of what goes on in language understanding, decision-making
is easy to overlook simply because they are such natural actions for us.

But, of course, you don't care how "we" grade questions, you just want
a program to do the job anyway it can: an AI approach. Any such method I'm
afraid will require LOTS of serial syntactic parsing and semantic analysis.
In developing such a program:
 You would soon agree to add all sorts of answer format requirements...
 You would soon make the program "domain smart"...(work on only 1 subject)
 You would get a system that, alas, makes mistakes.

But maybe not more than the average instructor does anyway :^)

tonyM