[comp.edu] Unix courses / Unix books

wells@zach.fit.edu (James M. Wells) (05/31/90)

Two sets of questions:
1) Does your school teach an introduction to Unix?
  -as part or all of a course?
  -what is the course called?
  -what subject matter is covered?
  -what do you use for a textbook?
  -prerequisites?
2) What are your favorite introductory Unix books?
  -Title
  -Author
  -Publisher
  -ISBN #
  -what do you particularly like about it?

Thankyou for your input.

wells@zach.fit.edu

James M. Wells, Florida Institute of Technology
150 W. University Blvd., Melbourne, FL 32901. +1 407 768 8000 x7285
wells@zach.fit.edu

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (06/06/90)

In article <1183@winnie.fit.edu> wells@zach.fit.edu (James M. Wells) writes:
>Two sets of questions:
>1) Does your school teach an introduction to Unix?
>  -as part or all of a course?
>  -what is the course called?
>  -what subject matter is covered?
>  -what do you use for a textbook?
>  -prerequisites?
>2) What are your favorite introductory Unix books?
>  -Title
>  -Author
>  -Publisher
>  -ISBN #
>  -what do you particularly like about it?
We have instituted a new course covering Unix to replace our old, and tired,
"Advanced Fortran for Engineering Graduate Students" -- its audience is
graduate students and faculty from other disciplines who see the value in
learning Unix.  The course is a senior level course (but will not count
towards CS major requirements) having a structured programming course as a
prerequisite.  It is titled: CS 405 :"Contemporary Programming Techniques"

We will cover the usual Unix topics:
Mail system; utilities, commands, and libraries; editors; shells,
shell scripts; I/O; networking; compilers.

Since we are teaching it the first time in the Fall, a text book has not
been settled, but should be soon.

--
james lee peterson				petersja@handel.cs.colostate.edu
dept. of computer science