[comp.edu] Academia vs. Industry

yamauchi@aic.dpl.scg.hac.com (Brian Yamauchi) (07/14/90)

	I'd like to start a thread on what is undoubtedly one of the
most often asked questions in grad school (at least in CS) -- "Are you
planning to go into academia or industry?"  To narrow this question
down to a manageable size, by "academia" I mean a tenure-track
position at a good research university and by "industry" I mean a
position as a researcher at a top industrial lab.

	My perceptions are that the primary advantages of academia
over industry are that you have complete freedom to decide what you
want to research and that you are your own boss.  The primary
disadvantages seem to be that you spend an inordinate amount of time
chasing grant money and that you have to teach (which may not be a
disadvantage to everyone).

	Industrial positions seem to vary widely depending on the
company and the lab.  At the best labs, you may have almost as much
freedom as those in academia (although you still have a boss).  On the
other hand, at some labs this freedom may go hand-in-hand with the
need for chasing grants.

	Both universities and industrial labs tend to be well-equipped
and to pay competitve salaries, so these areas don't seem to present
major differences.

	Another issue is politics.  While I've never been in a very
bad political situation, I've heard horror stories from grad students
and professors about the level of internal politics at some
universities.  Of course, I'm sure internal politics also exists to a
certain degree in industrial labs -- but I'd be curious as to whether
people think it tends to be worse in academia.  Conversely, it seems
as though industrial labs may be more affected by external politics
(defense R&D cuts, corporate restructuring, etc.).

	I'm currently a PhD student in CS at the University of
Rochester (working at Hughes over the summer), and my perceptions are
based on 2 years of grad school, 4 years of undergrad (Math/CS at
CMU), and 2 summers working in industry, so clearly, I've had more
experience doing research in the "academia" side.  I'd be interested
to hear whether others (grad students/professors/researchers/etc.)
have similar perceptions.

Brian Yamauchi                          Hughes Research Laboratories
yamauchi@aic.hrl.hac.com                Artificial Intelligence Center

shimeall@cs.nps.navy.mil (Tim Shimeall) (07/14/90)

(Note: I don't speak for the Naval Postgraduate School, nor the
Computer Science Dept. thereof, nor am I on the recruiting committee
of that department.)

First, be aware that the academic market for CS Ph.D.s is tightening
rapidly.  In 1982, there were about 7 academic jobs open for every
Ph.D. that graduated (based on the Snowbird report).  In 1990, many
departments have hundreds of Ph.D. applicants for every open position.
Many of the top schools are not hiring any longer, and the second and
third tier schools are filling rapidly.  In short, unless you are an
exceptionally talented student in a rare-but-needed speciality, you
may have a VERY hard time getting an academic job.

I chose academia over industry for several reasons:
  + I wanted to set my own research agenda, and thought my research
     ideas interesting enough to be funded (true, thus far.)
  + I wanted to teach.  Don't underestimate the sheer fun of getting
     students to understand hard concepts, and introducing them to new
     ways of looking at the world.
  + I liked the freedom to travel and share information with other
     researchers that academic folks have, but industrial folks often don't.
  + I did not want to deal with a profit-oriented company structure
     (I'm not denigrating such structures -- they're needed; but I just
      preferred to avoid them.)
The particular school I ended up at (the Naval Postgraduate School)
fit my desires almost perfectly.  (I'll edit out a testimonial to the
school -- suffice it to say that this is a VERY nice place for a young
CS Ph.D.)
					Tim
Disclaimer: The above is strictly a personal opinion and is not
binding on any person or organization.

uselton@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) (07/14/90)

Expires:
Sender:  Sam Uselton
I've got some relevant (IMHO) experience, but as always, your mileage
may vary.

I spent 5 years as a full time grad student at Univ of Texas at Dallas,
started teaching full time (Instructor) at Univ of Houston before the
dissertation was done (**mistake**).  I spent 3 years at Houston, and did
finish the dissertation, then spent 7 years at Univ of Tulsa.

I know the question asked to compare "top" university and industry labs,
and I know these aren't, but I'm going to have my say.  (You can hit "n"
any time :-)  )  UH and Tulsa are both in the "great middle" of universities
they each have some good researchers and good departments.

I like teaching and I enjoyed that aspect of university life.  Grading
is a drudge, especially in large classes with insufficient TA's.
Curriculum design, both in the large sense of what courses to offer,
to require, in what order, etc, and the small sense of what material to
try to cover in a particular class (the first time you teach it) takes
a lot of time to do well.  In most cases, computing resources are not sufficient
to allow students do implement / try out everything you would like,
even in the places where there are sufficient resources for research.

Politics varies WIDELY from places to place.  Some departments are made of
of groups that amount to armed camps that can never agree about anything.
The more camps the less gets done.  Other places can be friendly and harmonius.
The only way you really discover this is by your own or someone else's
experience.  The political environment outside the department can be as
important as within.  (My promotion was shot down by a dean, not my department)

The political environment (both acad. and industry) can change fairly abruptly,
but stability can be estimated based on reputation, visits and scuttlebutt.

The higher the research quality of the U., the more pressure to get grants
to support (1) equipment (2) grad students to actually get work done,
(3) salary (especially summer, but also course "release time"),
(4) administrative "overhead", (5) travel, conference attendance for self
AND grad students....
This pressure also increases as one gets more senior (close to tenure).

I didn't think I would like industry as well, and never really considered it.
I now work for Computer Sciences Corp., on a contract supporting NASA in
the area of scientific visualization for Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
at the Ames research Center.  This is a great job.  The equipment is good,
th eproblems to be worked on are interesting, there is sufficient freedom
to pursue them in your own way, and the colleagues are good scientists.

There are (of course) some hassles.  Reporting to both bureaucracies is a
nuisance.  Government rules to avoid the APPEARANCE of impropriety are
some times absurd.  I miss teaching and getting to know new crops of students
and the chance to get on my soapbox now and then (can you tell :-)  ).

About money,....
My experience is that on a monthly basis universities pay almost, but not
quite lab pay scales.  But they only pay 9 months salary.  You have to
hustle for the other, and some sources (eg NSF) will only pay 2 more.
Real "industrial" labs probably pay better than government labs, although
by using contractors rather than civil servants, gov't can at least get in
the game.  Real jobs pay 12 months salary including paid vacation.  On the
other hand the vacation doesn't match Thankgiving, Christmas, Spring Break,
between semester breaks, ....

What are YOUR priorities?  location? pay? freedom? collaborators? interesting
problems? .....

Sam Uselton			uselton@nas.nasa.gov
employed by CSC		working for NASA 		speaking for myself

matloff@mole.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (07/14/90)

In article <9518@hacgate.UUCP> yamauchi@aic.hrl.hac.com writes:

>Of course, I'm sure internal politics also exists to a
>certain degree in industrial labs -- but I'd be curious as to whether
>people think it tends to be worse in academia.  Conversely, it seems

Yes, industry does have some politics, but it is FAR, FAR worse in
academia.  I say this having been in academia for 15 years, in three
departments, and having a number of close friends at various schools
(and in various fields) across the country.  The degree varies from
one place to another, but it *is* universal.

I still feel personally that academia is the place to be.  But if you
are the type who is sensitive to injustice, selfishness, pettiness,
meanness, callousness  --  shall I go on? :-)  --  then you will have
to make sure that you are ready to put up with this muck as the price
you have to pay for the genuine pleasures that academia has to offer.

   Norm

liu@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Hai-Ning Liu) (07/15/90)

shimeall@cs.nps.navy.mil (Tim Shimeall) writes:

>First, be aware that the academic market for CS Ph.D.s is tightening
>rapidly.  In 1982, there were about 7 academic jobs open for every
>Ph.D. that graduated (based on the Snowbird report).  In 1990, many
>departments have hundreds of Ph.D. applicants for every open position.
>Many of the top schools are not hiring any longer, and the second and
>third tier schools are filling rapidly.  In short, unless you are an
>exceptionally talented student in a rare-but-needed speciality, you
>may have a VERY hard time getting an academic job.

Thank you all on this discussion.
I think each school is still looking for "new blood"
to expand their programs.
Well I am still a theory student, or a "utility" student,
( we design and publish all sorts of nobody-wanted-algorithms),
I would like to know
over the next few years which fields will still be "hot" and
which will not; e.g. VLSI, networking, AI etc etc.
My assumption is that if an area is not hot in industry,
then it will be cold in most US schools.

asears@hcil.East.Sun.COM (Andrew Sears - Sun BOS Software) (07/16/90)

In article <9518@hacgate.UUCP> yamauchi@aic.hrl.hac.com writes:

>	I'd like to start a thread on what is undoubtedly one of the
>most often asked questions in grad school (at least in CS) -- "Are you
>planning to go into academia or industry?"

This is definitely one of those questions I've been asking myself.  I
agree, in general, with quite a bit of what you said.  However, I have
to question the point below.

>	Both universities and industrial labs tend to be well-equipped
>and to pay competitve salaries, so these areas don't seem to present
>major differences.

I would have to disagree with the point about saleries.  From my
experience (both personal and friends) I'd have to say that you
will probably make more money in industry.  I don't remember the
exact numbers, but you can look them up a relatively recent issue of
the CACM, starting saleries for PhD's in academia are somewhere under
$45,000 (I think it was closer to $35-40).  Starting saleries, based
on what industry pays PhD students for the summer (my experience and
that of friends), can easily exceed $50-60,000.  Granted this is based
on a limited number of examples, but I would have to say that I think
industry will probably pay much better.

Andy

Summer: Sun Microsystems            Real life: Human-Computer Interaction Lab
        Boston Development Center              University of Maryland
        asears@East.sun.com                    sears@cs.umd.edu

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (07/16/90)

In article <9518@hacgate.UUCP> yamauchi@aic.hrl.hac.com writes:

| >	I'd like to start a thread on what is undoubtedly one of the
| >most often asked questions in grad school (at least in CS) -- "Are you
| >planning to go into academia or industry?"  To narrow this question
| >down to a manageable size, by "academia" I mean a tenure-track
| >position at a good research university and by "industry" I mean a
| >position as a researcher at a top industrial lab.
| >
| >	My perceptions are that the primary advantages of academia
| >over industry are that you have complete freedom to decide what you
| >want to research and that you are your own boss.  The primary
| >disadvantages seem to be that you spend an inordinate amount of time
| >chasing grant money and that you have to teach (which may not be a
| >disadvantage to everyone).
| >
| >	Industrial positions seem to vary widely depending on the
| >company and the lab.  At the best labs, you may have almost as much
| >freedom as those in academia (although you still have a boss).  On the
| >other hand, at some labs this freedom may go hand-in-hand with the
| >need for chasing grants.
| >
| >	Both universities and industrial labs tend to be well-equipped
| >and to pay competitve salaries, so these areas don't seem to present
| >major differences.
| >
| >	Another issue is politics.  While I've never been in a very
| >bad political situation, I've heard horror stories from grad students
| >and professors about the level of internal politics at some
| >universities.  Of course, I'm sure internal politics also exists to a
| >certain degree in industrial labs -- but I'd be curious as to whether
| >people think it tends to be worse in academia.  Conversely, it seems
| >as though industrial labs may be more affected by external politics
| >(defense R&D cuts, corporate restructuring, etc.).
| >
| >	I'm currently a PhD student in CS at the University of
| >Rochester (working at Hughes over the summer), and my perceptions are
| >based on 2 years of grad school, 4 years of undergrad (Math/CS at
| >CMU), and 2 summers working in industry, so clearly, I've had more
| >experience doing research in the "academia" side.  I'd be interested
| >to hear whether others (grad students/professors/researchers/etc.)
| >have similar perceptions.
| >
| >______________________________________________________________________________
| >
| >Brian Yamauchi                          Hughes Research Laboratories
| >yamauchi@aic.hrl.hac.com                Artificial Intelligence Center
| >______________________________________________________________________________

I've seen both sides of the fence.  12 years in academia and 8 years in
industry.  My Humble Opinions follow:

Politics:  They are bad on both sides of the fence when resources are scarce.
You are probably more blessed by better senior management in industry than
in academia, where one can watch university presidents and passive boards
of trustees quickly run an institution into the ground.  Stockholders would
not stand for such non-feasance!  Politics of funding, space, staff and
time for research are about equivalent.

Freedom:  You must market your research ideas on both sides of the fence.  The
time scales may be different; the "clients" may be different.  In both cases,
the most certain funding is where you provide a needed service to clients and
bootleg the research onto the service function.  Used to be in industry we
had "15%" of our time for "personal research", which became "15% for personal
research and professional development", which became "0%" for personal
research (that is unspecified, unapproved research) and "fight for" professional
development support.  This is not a complaint!  I understand the need for
"justification" and "financial control".  It is reported that a new "culture"
is coming down from above that will delegate more responsibility and authority.

Fact of life:  If you don't produce something that your institution perceives
as valuable, you won't last as long as you may like to last.  There are
precious few institutions where teaching actually counts, unless it raises
a LOT of money.  Continuing sponsored research and publication in peer-
reviewed journals counts.  Often, your "management" won't be able to tell
the quality of your research work nor the quality of your papers  --- therefore
scientific publications are full of work of questionable quality and slight
reworkings of the same ten dog experiments.....  perhaps more papers than
experiments!  Don't set your standards too high!

In industry, given today's competitive world, you will still need to justify
your existance.  Dollars saved, products invented/patented/licensed/marketed,
services rendered.  And watch out for divestiture of the business/market-segment
you are involved with.

Time:  There is administriva on both sides of the fence.  Reporting can
easily consume 30% of a week's work in industry.  The same effort may be
necessary to propose and report on project efforts when you are in an R&D
lab that requires "business unit" support each year.  Whether it is grant
writing in adcademia or project proposals to meet business needs in industry,
the time sink is still there.  There may be differences in the dynamics.  If
a business needs something quickly, it will have funding quickly.  If you
deal with grant proposals, you may find much longer waits.

Capital Equipment.:  MUCH easier to come by in industry.  If you need  expensive
hardware to do your work, it is much easier to acquire in industry.  Lab
space may be just as tight as in academia, but capital dollars still seem to
flow.

Pay:  Make no mistake.  Industry salaries are typically FAR better than
in academia.  Vacation policies may be better in academia, depending upon
how tough a negotiator you are when you have been accepted for a job in
industry.  Health care benefits in industry are eroding quickly.

Tests:  How many signatures does it take to order a roll of toilet paper?
(I know you won't be ordering your own toilet paper, it is just that you
would still need the signatures....)
How many peers have stayed/left in the past decade?  When things get "tight",
the more talented who are not "married" to a geographic area tend to vote with
their feet.
How many major management reorganizations have occured in the past 5 years?
(Stability may be as valuable as funding in doing productive research.)
Do your personal computing needs conflict with the prevailing computing
culture?  (Ever try to promote UNIX in a VMS culture?)

NOTE:  I AM VERY HAPPY IN INDUSTRY!  THE COMMENTS ABOVE DO NOT REFLECT UPON
MY EMPLOYER --- it is just what I typically advise my former graduate students.
Each year I visit at least one university campus and try to keep my
perspective --- the grass is equally as green on both sides, just shaded
a bit differently.

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (siegman) (07/17/90)

Re economic factors:

1) For most any technical (science or engineering) area general
impression is that base salaries in industry are better than in
academia, especially in earlier years.

And (again, this is only "general impression") academics work harder:
more evenings and weekends, more stress.  This is partly self-imposed
competititve drive, especially in later years, partly tenure
competition in earlier years.

2) Consulting opportunities -- if you're willing and able to take
advantage of them -- can make up a lot of the base salary difference,
maybe go well beyond it.  Opportunities for patent or start-up income
much larger in the academic sphere...though of course you have to be
the right combination of lucky and entrepreneurial.

3) Job security in later years: MUCH better in academia.  In industry,
if you don't go into management -- which of course has it's own
problems and threats -- then somewhere past 45 or 50 you are more and
more likely to become an increasingly expensive, and increasingly out
of date, liability rather than asset.  There is now NO legally
supprted mandatory requirement age in universities.

This is, of course, a growing problem for the universities
themnselves, and this situation may change in the future; but for the
present it's a big plus for academic versus industry.

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (07/17/90)

In article <9518@hacgate.UUCP> yamauchi@aic.dpl.scg.hac.com (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
>        I'd like to start a thread on what is undoubtedly one of the
>most often asked questions in grad school (at least in CS) -- "Are you
>planning to go into academia or industry?"  To narrow this question
>down to a manageable size, by "academia" I mean a tenure-track
>position at a good research university and by "industry" I mean a
>position as a researcher at a top industrial lab.

Are you sure that you want to narrow your definition of academia to
"a good research university"? If teaching really turns you on, why not
teach at a school attended by 'less prepared' students. Helping a disadvantaged
student learn a skill that can be used to support his/herself and family
might give you a big charge.

My mother is not in the CS field. One of the jobs that she enjoyed most
was teaching nursing. Many of the students were working as nurse's aids,
and earning an RN diploma raised their pay scale by at least $4.00 per
hour (in the early 70s). She found it very rewarding to tutor struggling
students, and to have a real impact on their lives. Yes, she also found
it rewarding to teach the smarter ones :-) My mother didn't burn out;
she wasn't so good at politics. She eventually took a 12-month job elsewhere.

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil  lumsdon@dtrc.dt.navy.mil
lumsdon%dtrc.navy.mil@uunet.uu.net
"Wherever you go, there you are" -Buckaroo Bonzai