[comp.edu] But I Wanted Summers Off!

dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) (07/16/90)

I decided to enter graduate school (PhD bound), initially, in the hopes
of getting long summer vacations. My understanding so far seems to
tell me that professors at teaching colleges are the only ones who get
summers off. It seems that the research professors have to stick around
during the summer to continue their funded research. I am curious to know
if it is possible or practical for a research professor to take
summers off to go fishing, kayaking, and rock climbing :-).

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (siegman) (07/17/90)

> ........................................... I am curious to know
>if it is possible or practical for a research professor to take
>summers off to go fishing, kayaking, and rock climbing :-).

The smiley at the end may indicate this is not a totally serious
query; but in any event trying to remain at the forefront in most any
research field -- which means not just doing research (and, raising
the resources needed to do it), but also remaining current in your own
field and emerging fields through literature reading, attending
meetings, etc. -- is an _extremely_ competitive enterprise.  It's hard
to do on a full time basis, even harder on a part-time basis, and
probably not a preferred career choice for those who want a low-key,
loe-stress life.

On the other hand:

a)  It can lead to some very pleasant and rewarding opportunities to
live and work overseas, if you take full advantage of sabbatical and
exchange opportunities.

b)  If you're willing to accept a lower-key approach, pick a low-key
research area, one that doesn't require too much support, that opens
up more chances for a generally lower-key life style, while still
making useful contributions to mankind.

P.S. -- Of course economic needs related to spouses, children, car
repairs, mortgage payments, and so on, can limit the amount of
summer-time fishing also.

mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (07/19/90)

In article <5476@uceng.UC.EDU> dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) writes:
>I decided to enter graduate school (PhD bound), initially, in the hopes
>of getting long summer vacations. My understanding so far seems to

During my ten years as a graduate student, research associate
and lecturer, I have never had the chance to take more than two
or three weeks off during summer. The myth that academics get
long summer breaks is a very dangerous one, particularly since
it seems to be believed by the politicians who determine our
pay, and thus think it quite acceptable for us to be paid half
of what we would get in a comparable job in industry.

Matthew Huntbach