[comp.edu] What are good GRE scores, good grades,...

jsv@hpsad.HP.COM (Jeff Vetter) (07/19/90)

Just exactly what are good grades, good GRE scores, etc?  I would like
specific numbers for these quantities.

I am in the process of applying to graduate school.  After speaking (esp.
over the net) to numerous people, I am slightly confused on what is good,
great, excellent, etc.

My problem:  I do not want to send an application, and an application
fee, to a school I have no chance of being admitted to.  With the proper
guidence, I can save myself time and money, not to mention the people I
ask to write my reccommendations.

I have received information from several schools.  Only UC Berkeley was
kind enough to list the average GPA and average GRE score of those applying
and those admitted.  I found this information helpful because I now know
what ranges they are looking for in incoming applicants.  This approach
contrasted with the other phases such as "outstanding students", "highly
qualified", "good GRE scores", "excellent grades", etc which do not really
help anyone but the people collecting the application fee.

Where did you get your undergraduate degree?  degree?  GPA?

How did you do on the GRE General?

How did you do on the GRE Subject?  Which subject?

Did you have any publications?  journal?

Did you have any research or work experience in the field for which you were
applying?

Where did you get accepted for graduate school?  Phd or MS?

Can I use this information anonymously, if I post the results on the net?

matloff@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (07/20/90)

In article <2640005@hpsad.HP.COM> jsv@hpsad.HP.COM (Jeff Vetter) writes:

>Just exactly what are good grades, good GRE scores, etc?  I would like
>specific numbers for these quantities.

>I am in the process of applying to graduate school.  After speaking (esp.
>over the net) to numerous people, I am slightly confused on what is good,
>great, excellent, etc.

The ACM's Graduate Assistantship Directory lists information on graduate
study in CS at a large number of schools in North America.  Many of
those schools (including UCD) list average GRE scores of their students.
Average grades are not listed.  The book lists (212) 869-7440 as its
number for information on obtaining copies.

Note carefully, though, that there is often a huge disparity in
admissions criteria between public and private institutions of the
same caliber.  If a student makes it clear that he/she has the
financial resources, a private university is much more like to
accept him/her than would a public school at the same level.

   Norm

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (07/20/90)

In article <2640005@hpsad.HP.COM> jsv@hpsad.HP.COM (Jeff Vetter) writes:

>Just exactly what are good grades, good GRE scores, etc?  I would like
>specific numbers for these quantities.
>
>I am in the process of applying to graduate school.  After speaking (esp.
>over the net) to numerous people, I am slightly confused on what is good,
>great, excellent, etc.
>
>My problem:  I do not want to send an application, and an application
>fee, to a school I have no chance of being admitted to.  With the proper
>guidence, I can save myself time and money, not to mention the people I
>ask to write my reccommendations.
>
>I have received information from several schools.  Only UC Berkeley was
>kind enough to list the average GPA and average GRE score of those applying
>and those admitted.  I found this information helpful because I now know
>what ranges they are looking for in incoming applicants.  This approach
>contrasted with the other phases such as "outstanding students", "highly
>qualified", "good GRE scores", "excellent grades", etc which do not really
>help anyone but the people collecting the application fee.

>Where did you get your undergraduate degree?  degree?  GPA?
>

>How did you do on the GRE General?
>

>How did you do on the GRE Subject?  Which subject?
>

>Did you have any publications?  journal?
>

>Did you have any research or work experience in the field for which you were
>applying?
>

>Where did you get accepted for graduate school?  Phd or MS?
>

>Can I use this information anonymously, if I post the results on the net?

You have not listed the most important things of all - sex and, most
important, race. Some schools, particularly Berkeley, weight race high enough
that little else counts if that is right.

Doug McDonald