[comp.edu] Summary of responses regarding Jim Joyces Unix Bookstore

siegel@stsci.EDU (Howard Siegel) (07/11/90)

Thanks to all who responded to my posting requesting information about
Jim Joyce's Unix Bookstore.  I got 10 responses with information, 1 request
for their address, and 1 response that my posting did not belong in that
particular newsgroup.  (Maybe I had too high hopes, but I expected a bigger
response.)

The results tended to lean toward the negative.  Some folks had very good
service while others had extremely bad service, both in terms of Jim and
others who work there and in terms of prices, availability, promptness of
delivery, etc.  Some thought Jim was very knowledgeable and helpful while
some had much harsher words.  In general, the good service was just what
one would typically expect while the bad service seemed extremely bad.

My horror story is...  On March 15 '90 based on a review by Jim, and the
10% discount he offered to first time customers, I called his bookstore to
order a book.  I was told that the book was not in stock but the shipment
was due real soon and I could probably expect to have the book in my hands
in about 3 weeks.  On April 17 I called back to find out the status of my
order, expecting that the delay was caused by a late shipment from the
publisher.  Instead I was told that there was no record of my order nor
was there any record of a shipment to me or the city where I live.  Given
that they said the book was now definitely in stock, they would ship one
out that day.  On May 22 I called again and got the same story about not
finding an order and that a copy would be shipped that day.  I also called
the credit card company to confirm that there had not been any charges
posted.  On June 11 I called back and for the first time I talked to Jim
Joyce himself, and guess what, no record of any order or shipment.  Well,
there still was the 10% discount and after a fair amount of flaming, Jim
reduced the shipping charges, so I gave him one more chance.  The book
finally showed up late the following week.

I wasn't in any rush to get the book, but I wasn't prepared to wait for
4 months.  I can understand if the publisher is having problems getting
books out or if the distributer can't keep them in stock, but I want to
be told about it.  What I can not understand is how an order can be lost
3 times.  Jim's story was that he was in the process of reorganizing the
book store because problems like mine were beginning to happen too often
and he was loosing mail order business.

Of course I started asking about this place only after I ordered something
and began having problems.  Given the information I received, I would not
have started with Jim Joyce's in the first place.  Now that I have had some
experience with the place, I'll have to think long and hard about giving
them any more business.

For the brave, here is the address and phone number:

	Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore
	139 Noe Street
	San Francisco, CA  94114
	415-626-7581

Alternate sources recommended in some of the responses are:

	Stanford University.

		Special Order desk: 1-800-533-2670
		Large selection (not just UNIX).  Good return policy.
		Will ship same day via Federal Express overnight delivery.

	Computer Literacy

		Sunnyvale CA: 408-730-9555
		San Jose CA:  408-435-1118
		Better prices, better selection (not just UNIX).
		No catalog.

	Cucumber Bookshop

		5611 Kraft Drive
		Rockville MD 20852
		301-881-2722 (voice)
		301-468-2920 (fax)
		Small store front.  Primarily UNIX and C.  No shipping
		charges for prepaid orders.  24 hour ordering via fax.
		Orders shipped within 24 hours.  Seems to have a pretty
		liberal return policy. Catalog available.

	O'Reilly & Associates

		632 Petaluma Avenue
		Sebastopol CA 95472
		1-800-338-6887 (1-800-533-6887 in CA)
		Publisher.  Primarily UNIX and X windows.
		Catalog available.

lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) (07/11/90)

In article <1581@stsci.edu> siegel@stsci.EDU (Howard Siegel) writes:

>My horror story is...  On March 15 '90 based on a review by Jim, and the
>10% discount he offered to first time customers, I called his bookstore to
>order a book.  I was told that the book was not in stock but the shipment
[long horror story deleted]

This lets my ask a question that has been nagging me for a long time:

Why is it that in civilized countries a bookstore gets you a book that is
not in stock typically within 24 hours, but not so in the US?

Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther@janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739
				 +1 415 658 8529 home

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (07/11/90)

In article <37505@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> lauther@janus.berkeley.edu (Ulrich Lauther) writes:

>Why is it that in civilized countries a bookstore gets you a book that is
>not in stock typically within 24 hours, but not so in the US?

Isn't it obvious? You've answered your own question.  The US is *not* a
civilized country.

--
james lee peterson				petersja@handel.cs.colostate.edu
dept. of computer science

In article <1581@stsci.edu> siegel@stsci.EDU (Howard Siegel) writes:
>The results tended to lean toward the negative.  Some folks had very good
>service while others had extremely bad service...

In fairness, my understanding is that Jim has had both personal and
(non-bookstore) financial problems in the recent past, and a fair fraction
of this is "factors beyond our control" rather than incompetence or malice.

Of course, if your book is late, your book is late, and you may not be
too interested in all the horrible reasons...
--
NFS is a wonderful advance:  a Unix    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
filesystem with MSDOS semantics. :-(   |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (07/12/90)

In article <7858@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>,
petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) writes:

> >Why is it that in civilized countries a bookstore gets you a book that is
> >not in stock typically within 24 hours, but not so in the US?
> >
> Isn't it obvious? You've answered your own question.  The US is *not* a
> civilized country.

Come now, let's be fair.  Most of those other "civilized countries" are
much smaller geographically than the US, so it's not surprising that
bookstores are generally much closer (in distance and in travel time)
to their distributors.  In the US, it's quite possible for a bookstore-
in-need to be 3000 miles away from the appropriate warehouse.

Even so, it still might be possible to get 24-hour turnaround here.
But are you willing to pay more for the overnight Federal Express
delivery charge than for the book itself?

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
USA

jaap@mtxinu.COM (Jaap Akkerhuis) (07/12/90)

Please note that to my knowledge usenix doesn't endorse any bookshop,
so comp.org.usenix (or many of the other cross posted groups) is
not really the place to discuss the merits of bookshops etc.

I would suggest followups to comp.consumers,

	jaap

lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) (07/12/90)

In article <CBL4P_G@xds8.ferranti.com> jeffd@ficc.ferranti.com (jeff daiell) writes:
[original quote deleted]

>Many of those countries are small enough that books can get from
>publisher to bookstore pretty quickly.  Here, however, the publisher
>may be in New York, and the bookstore in Hilo, Hawaii, so a quick
>delivery by moped is out.

This does not really explain the situation. Of course I would understand
and accept a delay which growths linearly with the size of the country,
translating 24 hours into a few days, but not into weeks. In the countries
I was referring to, the bookstore does not have to go to the publisher,
rather there is an efficient network of dealers inbetween.

Probably this should be carried on - if at all - in another newsgroup.

ritchie@hpdmd48.HP.COM (David Ritchie) (07/12/90)

>This lets my ask a question that has been nagging me for a long time:
>
>Why is it that in civilized countries a bookstore gets you a book that is
>not in stock typically within 24 hours, but not so in the US?

  1) Mileage between cities is greater than in Europe.

  2) Bookstores tend to do ordering in sufficent quantities to get larger
price breaks and/or free shipping. Depending on the size of store, this may be
weekly or less.

  3) Tax structures in the U.S. in recent years have discouraged wholesalers
from maintaining large stocks of slow moving books (inventory taxes, etc.)

  4) Most transport is handled thru truck lines, which are typically hubbed
in regional transfer centers. Packages may change trucks multiple times
in route. Cross country by truck is at least 3 days, assuming around the
clock driving and fresh drivers being available when DOT requires that a
new driver is needed.

  5) Many books go by book rate, which is not the fastest way to get
things from point A to point B.

									Dave

jeremy@mips.COM (Jeremy M. Schneider) (07/12/90)

In article <1581@stsci.edu> siegel@stsci.EDU (Howard Siegel) writes:

>        Computer Literacy
>
>                Sunnyvale CA: 408-730-9555
                                       ^^^^

Correction:                    408-730-9955
--
Jeremy M. Schneider              jeremy@mips.com
MIPS Computer Systems            {ames,decwrl,prls}!mips!jeremy

scott@nbc1.ge.com (Scott Barman) (07/18/90)

Just one question:  Why use any of these mail order companies to get
books anyway?  I could understand if there was a significant discount,
but by the time you pay for shipping, etc. the savings are minimal.  I
have never had a problem walking into (say) a B. Dalton's and ordering
any book they didn't have in stock--and I've never paid shipping charges
either.

--
scott barman				NBC Systems Development
scott@nbc1.ge.com			30 Rockerfeller Plaza, Room 1615W

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (07/23/90)

In <1990Jul17.174054.29575@nbc1.ge.com> scott@nbc1.ge.com (Scott Barman) writes:

>Just one question:  Why use any of these mail order companies to get
>books anyway?  I could understand if there was a significant discount,
>but by the time you pay for shipping, etc. the savings are minimal.  I
>have never had a problem walking into (say) a B. Dalton's and ordering
>any book they didn't have in stock--and I've never paid shipping charges
>either.

I think the big incentive for a lot of mail order business is sales
tax.  If a retailer has offices in only one state, then it doesn't
have to collect sales taxes on orders from the other 49.  Legally,
customers are supposed to report their out-of-state mail-order
purchases, but nobody does, and the states would hardly find it
profitable to prosecute thousands of <$100 tax cases, assuming they
ever even find out about them!

There's another, more legitimate difference.  B. Dalton employees are
not long on computer expertise (though they no longer think that Unix
is a programming language!), and can't give you much help on selecting
books.  Specialized mail order firms often work very hard in that
department.  Except for a misguided bookclub membership, I've never
purchased books thatway (in SiliValley lots of bookstores with
fair-to-good computer sections, not to mention a small chain with
nothing *but*), but PC Connection's employees are a lot more
knowledgable than those of Egghead Discount Software!
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA

	"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know!"
			-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

davidsen@antarctica.crd.GE.COM (william E Davidsen) (07/23/90)

In article <12565@netcom.UUCP>, ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:

|> There's another, more legitimate difference.  B. Dalton employees are
|> not long on computer expertise (though they no longer think that Unix
|> is a programming language!), and can't give you much help on selecting
|> books.  Specialized mail order firms often work very hard in that
|> department.

  I have to agree. I've called Jim Joyce on the phone and asked for
title suggestions (not recently) and he gave me useful titles in both
cases. Not necessarily the *best* titles, but not a waste of money. None
of my local bookstores seem to do that, even at schools.

In article <12565@netcom.UUCP> ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
: There's another, more legitimate difference.  B. Dalton employees are
: not long on computer expertise (though they no longer think that Unix
: is a programming language!), and can't give you much help on selecting
: books.

That's interesting.  I think Unix IS a programming language.  A big,
complicated, hard-to-learn, not-very-portable, highly undisciplined
language with several alternate syntaxes--an unholy, convulsing, constantly
mutating mixture of minimalism and pluralism--an entire ecosystem of
programming.

That doesn't mean I don't like it, of course.  :-)

And THAT doesn't mean I won't try to change it.

Somewhere there's got to be a balance between "I love you just the way
you are" and "Be all that you can be".

But when you start looking at Unix as a language, it gets a little ugly.

Larry Wall
lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (07/24/90)

lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:

|That's interesting.  I think Unix IS a programming language.  A big,
|complicated, hard-to-learn, not-very-portable, highly undisciplined
|language with several alternate syntaxes--an unholy, convulsing, constantly
|mutating mixture of minimalism and pluralism--an entire ecosystem of
|programming.

hmmm, kinda sorta justa little like perl?  note that i said kinda sorta.

particularly the unholy convulsing constantly mutating part.

kinda sorta.

:
: |That's interesting.  I think Unix IS a programming language.  A big,
: |complicated, hard-to-learn, not-very-portable, highly undisciplined
: |language with several alternate syntaxes--an unholy, convulsing, constantly
: |mutating mixture of minimalism and pluralism--an entire ecosystem of
: |programming.
:
: hmmm, kinda sorta justa little like perl?  note that i said kinda sorta.
:
: particularly the unholy convulsing constantly mutating part.
:
: kinda sorta.

But kinda sorta disciplined, compared to Unix.  At least you can figure out
what patchlevel you're at, so's you know what features are available.  And
Perl is structured to allow the addition of new thingies without much impact
on old scripts.  And it only changes as fast as I think I can understand it,
not as fast as a bazillion hackers think they can understand it.  Therein
lies Unix's strength, and Unix's weakness.

But there are certainly some resemblances between Unix and Perl, not
all of them entirely accidental.   :-)

Larry

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul17.174054.29575@nbc1.ge.com> scott@nbc1.GE.COM (Scott Barman) writes:
 >Just one question:  Why use any of these mail order companies to get
 >books anyway?  I could understand if there was a significant discount,
 >but by the time you pay for shipping, etc. the savings are minimal.  I
 >have never had a problem walking into (say) a B. Dalton's and ordering
 >any book they didn't have in stock--and I've never paid shipping charges
 >either.

Mostly that, even if the book is in their warehouse, most chain book stores
will take a week or two to get you a book, even longer if the warehouse doesn't
have it in stock (usually on the order of magnitude of a month).  By calling,
say, Computer Literacy in San Jose, if they have it in stock they'll ship it to
you.  If you're really anxious you can pay the $$ and have it shipped next or
second day air; otherwise you'll have it within 1.5 weeks at most via UPS
ground.
| Internet:   kucharsk@Solbourne.COM	      |	William Kucharski             |
| uucp:	...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk |	Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |
= The opinions above are mine alone and NOT those of Solbourne Computer, Inc. =