[comp.edu] Seeking Unusual Computing Degree Programs

ford@sei.cmu.edu (Gary Ford) (07/25/90)

I am investigating the growing breadth of the computing discipline(s) and
would like to identify university degree programs that illustrate this
breadth.  If you know of an unusual program, I would appreciate knowing
its name, level (BS, MS, PhD, etc.), and the university that offers it.
Separate "tracks" or "options" within a more common degree program are
also sought, provided they appear as named options in the college catalog
and vary significantly from the parent program.

For example, these programs have been identified so far:

	Software Engineering
	Information Networking
	Artificial Intelligence
	Robotics
	Computational Biology
	Computational Linguistics
	Information and Decision Systems
	Systems Analysis
	Software Design and Development
	Software Development and Management
	Software Systems Management
	Man-Computer Systems
	Symbolic Computation
	Information Technology
	Information Engineering

I am excluding programs that are essentially computer science under a
different name:  computer sciences, computing science, computing sciences,
information science, information sciences, computer and information science,
etc.  I am also excluding computer engineering and its variants.

Gary Ford                           ford@sei.cmu.edu
Senior Computer Scientist
Software Engineering Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) (07/26/90)

In article <7988@fy.sei.cmu.edu> ford@sei.cmu.edu (Gary Ford) writes:

>I am excluding programs that are essentially computer science under a
>different name:  ...
>information science, information sciences, ...

	Just to complicate the issue, these names have been used
	to mean "Statistics" (usually with a computational bias,
	admittedly, but Statistics none the less).

--
  Bill Venables, Dept. Statistics,        | Email:   wvenable@spam.ua.oz.au
  Univ. of Adelaide,  South Australia.    | Phone:           +61 8 228 5412