[comp.edu] Math/Science/Computer Competitions at the College Level

kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bryan D. Nehl) (08/11/90)

Well the question is are there any competitions or science fair
like activities out there for college students?

I have done the Zenith competition both times so far and also
competed in another national event.  However, I was wondering
if something like the Junior Acadamy of Science for high school
students exists for college students.

Thanks for any information.

p.s. I have been working on something logo like some creative
     suggestions from the readers of this list would be examined. :-)

Bryan.

--
/* ==== Bryan Nehl ===== kodiak%kodiakpc.uucp@phobos.cis.ksu.edu ==+
[   Big Bad Bear Beasties Inc.    ][   kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu     ]

ltp@cbnewsd.att.com (Luat Phung) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug11.042431.28538@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bryan D. Nehl) writes:

> Well the question is are there any competitions or science fair
> like activities out there for college students?

The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) does sponsor an annual
programming competition.  The top two teams from each region go on for
the international competition (back in 1984: U.S., Canada, England;
total of 27 or 28 teams).

A four-member team has four (or six?) hours to solve about eight
programming problems.  Check with your school's ACM office for info.
The format of the contest may change now, but I believe it's still
being held yearly.

                                  Luat
======================================
Luat Phung
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL
lphung@ihbhk.att.com, (708) 979-6330

pmontgom@euphemia.math.ucla.edu (Peter Montgomery) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug11.042431.28538@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>
kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bryan D. Nehl) writes:

>Well the question is are there any competitions or science fair
>like activities out there for college students?

	The William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition is held
early each December.  Any undergraduate can compete up to four times.
See old volumes of the American Mathematical Monthly, usually
around the August-September issue.  Contest entries are due in early October.

	The July, 1990 ACMemberNet (new supplement to Communications ACM)
announced a 1990-91 ACM Scholastic Programming Contest.
Regionals will be held this fall, and finals will be held
March 5, 1991, at the 19th Computer Science Conference.
Teams may use Pascal or C languages, under UNIX System V.
The contest director is William Poucher of Baylor University
(sorry, I don't know the address).  ACM members can submit
potential problems to Jo Perry of North Carolina State University,
jep@cscadm.ncsu.edu; contact him for more information about submissions.
--
        Peter L. Montgomery
        pmontgom@MATH.UCLA.EDU