[comp.edu] Computers in Elementary Education

simons@tetrauk.UUCP (Simon Shaw) (09/03/90)

I have recently become a school governor, and
would like to make some recommendations to the
governing body on the subject of educational
software.

Could somebody who has looked into this area
please give me some pointers on where to look for
software for the age range 4-8.

The likely platforms are...

1. PC compatible running DOS.
2. BBC model 'B' micro.
3. Other strange but cheap machine available in the UK.

I will press for the former on the grounds of
compatibility and ease of supply, but there may be a
local education authority policy or financial constraint
which will exclude it.

Simon Shaw
----------
simons@tetrauk.uucp

rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (09/05/90)

In article <724@tetrauk.UUCP>, simons@tetrauk.UUCP (Simon Shaw) writes:
> I have recently become a school governor, and
> would like to make some recommendations to the
> governing body on the subject of educational
> software.
>
> Could somebody who has looked into this area
> please give me some pointers on where to look for
> software for the age range 4-8.
>
> The likely platforms are...
>
> 1. PC compatible running DOS.
> 2. BBC model 'B' micro.
> 3. Other strange but cheap machine available in the UK.

How about the Amiga A500? It's very cheap (around 350-400 in the UK right now I
think), much more powerful than a PC compatible, has excellent graphics and
sound and loads of public domain or shareware software. I'd find it hard to
recommend an MS-DOS machine unless it has a huge advantage in software that you
want to run on it.

I can email some info on Amiga software if you like.

"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem"
Russell Wallace, Trinity College, Dublin
rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie