[comp.edu] Ask School Information

PSGRAD13@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (10/02/90)

One of my relatives would like to study Computer/ Information
Science in the East, of which I have had no knowledge.

The ideal school she would like to choose to study would be such
as:

(1) the tuition must be inexpensive; (2) the program is OK and
very easy to get a master/Ph.D degree; (3) the location is better
located at suburban New York or its near-by states in the eastern
coast;

Could Anybody kindly provide me the information about her "ideal"
school ?

Thank you!

-skc

bloom-debbie@cs.yale.edu (Debbie Bloom) (10/02/90)

In article <2767C7756FDF411192@ccit.arizona.edu> PSGRAD13@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU writes:
>One of my relatives would like to study Computer/ Information
>Science in the East, of which I have had no knowledge.
>
>The ideal school she would like to choose to study would be such
>as:
>
>(1) the tuition must be inexpensive;
Most (all?) schools offer stipends to subsidize living and tuition-free study
for PhD's in CS (and other technical/scientific research fields).  Also, there
are many fellowships to apply to, such as NSF, ONR (Office of Naval Research),
Hertz, and so forth.

(2) the program is OK and very easy to get a master/Ph.D degree;
I don't think any PhD program is considered "very easy" :-)
The "Gourman Report" provides a reasonable list of good programs, and
better yet, and more accurately, ask around.  It depends a great deal on what
subfields your friend is interested in.

(3) the location is better
>located at suburban New York or its near-by states in the eastern
>coast;
One school that comes to mind immediately is SUNY@Stony Brook.  If you want
suburban, Princeton is good in CS THeory, as in Cornell.
You should have your friend write
to many schools in the Northeast, get info, and decide what best fits his/her
qualifications and interests.

>Could Anybody kindly provide me the information about her "ideal"
>school ?

I have no idea.  I think she is better equipped to decide this, based on what
info she can obtain from the schools and what she is interested in.

>Thank you!
Your welcome.

>-skc

-Debbie

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin E. Sylvain) (10/05/90)

In article <2767C7756FDF411192@ccit.arizona.edu> PSGRAD13@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU writes:
> [ ... ] (2) the program is OK and
>very easy to get a master/Ph.D degree;
> [ ... ]

It seems to me that an "very easy to get" Master's or Ph.D degree is
a contradiction in terms.  Or at least it ought to be, IMHO.
(of course, having a Master's myself, MHO is probably rather biased)

"Hurry, send just $19.95 for your very own Ph.D!!  Be the first kid
 on your block to claim intelligensia and have the paperwork to
 prove it!  This offer is available for a limited time, so send for
 yours *now*!!

(offer void where prohibited by anybody with any sense whatsoever)"
--
"We're sorry, but the reality you have dialed is no   |            Alvin