[comp.edu] Computers and Undergrads

sanwalk@moore.com (Roy Sanwalka) (10/16/90)

	Sorry about all the cross posting, but this is pretty important
for me and I'd like to get as many responses as possible.

	As the newly acclaimed chairman of the University of Toronto
Engineering Society's Computer Committee, I am preparing a report to
the Faculty administration and EngSoc executive council regarding
"Usage of computer resources by undergraduate engineering students at
the University of Toronto".  The aims of the report include, but are
not limited to, the following:

     1)  To demonstrate how computers are used to enhance the quality
of the undergraduate engineering programs at several prominent
educational institutes.

     2)  To demonstrate how computers can increase the productivity
of undergraduate engineering students at these institutes.

     3)  To assess current methods of student-computer interaction
which are emphasized and encouraged by the Faculty of Applied Science
and Engineering at the University of Toronto.

     4)  To identify other measures which could be undertaken to improve
student-computer interaction and increase computer literacy among
current and future undergraduates of U. of T.'s Engineering programs in
an effort to maintain our status in this growing field.

     5)  To recommend additional measures which should be taken to
assist undergraduate students in utilizing all available computing
resources as effectively as possible.

     6)  To recommend new computing resources which could be made
available to undergraduate engineering students through various
channels.

     As such, I would appreciate the input of any and all persons in
the fields of enginering and/or computer science education with
respect to the above.  Opinions, suggestions and comments are
solicited from all interested parties.  Also, anyone who would like to
recieve a copy of this report once it is finished should send me mail
at the addresses below.

		Thanks..

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct16.052658.27225@moore.com> sanwalk@moore.com (Roy Sanwalka) writes:
>	Sorry about all the cross posting, but this is pretty important
>for me and I'd like to get as many responses as possible.
>
>	As the newly acclaimed chairman of the University of Toronto
>Engineering Society's Computer Committee, I am preparing a report to
>the Faculty administration and EngSoc executive council regarding
>"Usage of computer resources by undergraduate engineering students at
>the University of Toronto".  The aims of the report include, but are
>not limited to, the following:
>
>     1)  To demonstrate how computers are used to enhance the quality
>of the undergraduate engineering programs at several prominent
>educational institutes.
>
>     2)  To demonstrate how computers can increase the productivity
>of undergraduate engineering students at these institutes.
>
>     3)  To assess current methods of student-computer interaction
>which are emphasized and encouraged by the Faculty of Applied Science
>and Engineering at the University of Toronto.

I think the undergraduate engineering students are best suited to comment
on the above three points. Since ECF does not allow undergraduates to
read news, I suggested you put a general message on ECF and do a survey.

>     4)  To identify other measures which could be undertaken to improve
>student-computer interaction and increase computer literacy among
>current and future undergraduates of U. of T.'s Engineering programs in
>an effort to maintain our status in this growing field.

I am not sure what you mean by "our status". In my opinion, increase
computer literacy has nothing to do with whatever status. Knowing computers
inside-out does not mean you can be a good engineer.

>     5)  To recommend additional measures which should be taken to
>assist undergraduate students in utilizing all available computing
>resources as effectively as possible.
>
>     6)  To recommend new computing resources which could be made
>available to undergraduate engineering students through various
>channels.

Again, I am sure undergraduate engineering students can provide inputs and
comments regarding the above two points. Don't think for a moment that
all engineering undergrads are all computer illiterates and that you have to
seek outside help, you will be surprised. In fact, you yourself ARE an
undergraduate and I used to be one before.

>     As such, I would appreciate the input of any and all persons in
>the fields of enginering and/or computer science education with
>respect to the above.  Opinions, suggestions and comments are
>solicited from all interested parties.  Also, anyone who would like to
>recieve a copy of this report once it is finished should send me mail
>at the addresses below.
>
>		Thanks..

Seems to me that your .signature doesn't work.

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.utoronto.BITNET