[comp.edu] AI demonstration software

pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) (10/09/90)

Can anyone point out archive sites for software that
demonstrates AI concepts? Things like eliza, simple
games, tutorials or documentation would be most welcome.
I'm assuming that I will have access to a unix box, possibly
a sun wkstation or two and DOS/Mac machines.

Thanks for any help.
Perry Morrison

kurzi@netmbx.UUCP (Dieterich) (10/13/90)

In article <4164@gara.une.oz.au> pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) writes:
>Can anyone point out archive sites for software that
>demonstrates AI concepts? Things like eliza, simple
>games, tutorials or documentation would be most welcome.
>I'm assuming that I will have access to a unix box, possibly
>a sun wkstation or two and DOS/Mac machines.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Perry Morrison

In case you don't find any sites:
There's a book called
     Artificial Intelligence using C
     (The C Programmer's Guide to AI Techniques),
     Herbert Schildt,
     McGraw-Hill

It isn't very good for learning AI, but there is some source code for
very simple programs (e.g. eliza)

-Andreas

leonr@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dr Ruben Leon) (10/17/90)

In article <1222@netmbx.UUCP> kurzi@netmbx.UUCP (Andreas Schulz-Dieterich) writes:
>In article <4164@gara.une.oz.au> pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) writes:
>>Can anyone point out archive sites for software that
>>demonstrates AI concepts? Things like eliza, simple

(...)

Sumex has Tmycin (illustrates propagation of probability for reasoning
with uncertainty).  It runs on Lisp (available from rascal.ics.utexas.edu
(128.83.138.20) and which I think may be more appropriate as programing
language for AI than C.   Also

cs.arizona.edu       128.196.128.118  SBprolog, SNOBOL4

Educational software as such is not normally available from public
Ftp sites as far as I know.

Was it in this Newgroup that I commented on Tarski's World
by Jon Barwise and John Echemendy (at Stanford)  which runs on the
Mac, is well worth getting if you are at all teaching logic (prepositional
or predicate logic) ...?  It comes with graded excercises !  Also
by the same authors you can get Turing's World,  contact:

Chariot Software,
3659 India Street, Suite 100C, San Diego, CA 92103.

Ruben
--
Dr.R.E. Leon,Computing Science Dept || Tel: 44 41+ 330 4264  / 330 4463
Glasgow University, Scotland	    || Fax: 44 41+ 330 4913