[comp.edu] part-time doctorate search

HARM@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (11/01/90)

Subject: doctorate program part time?

I am searching for a program of doctorate level in the field
of computer science &/or computer engineering.  My Difficulty
is that I am not able to leave work(family and house) in order
to complete the requirements.  Stanford, Berkeley responses
are like "I don't think so" or "Send in your application
and then you'll know."  I have good grades and test scores, but
very negative comments from departments of graduate schools
that aren't even definitive.  The requirements descriptions
appear to allow the student enough room to navigate, but
if the department has no desire to support such a student,
the endeavor would be effectively fruitless.  My employer
is willing to allow flexible hours and some time off to attend
school.  Having a B.S. and a M.S. and experience working with
professors as equals, I am confident that I am capable.
Please if there is a program for a part time doctorate in
the bay area send me some information.  I hope that because
a person has a nice job and family and mortgage that he is
not automatically black-balled from the acedemics.

HARM@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (11/02/90)

I have received several comments and will post a summary .
At first blush, it seems that only University of South Florida
in Tampa is a possibility.         Thank you for your
comments so far.
Newly required disclaimer(here goes): My employer, my wife,
my parents, and my children have no responsibility for that
which is generated by my keyboard unless it is solely of
*benefit* to them.

gln@cs.arizona.edu (Gary Newell) (11/05/90)

In article <90304.114119HARM@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, HARM@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
> to complete the requirements.  Stanford, Berkeley responses
> are like "I don't think so" or "Send in your application
> and then you'll know."  I have good grades and test scores, but

I doubt that you will find a research I institution that will accept
you under the heading of part-time. Research II universities may however.

> that aren't even definitive.  The requirements descriptions
> appear to allow the student enough room to navigate, but
> if the department has no desire to support such a student,
> the endeavor would be effectively fruitless.  My employer

Exactly - most of these programs are very hung-up on avg. time to graduate and
also on their faculty's supposed waste of resources on such students - you'd
think with 3-6 hour/semester teaching loads they could fit in 15 minutes a week
to handle a part-time student.....

> the bay area send me some information.  I hope that because
> a person has a nice job and family and mortgage that he is
> not automatically black-balled from the acedemics.

Would be nice but don't count on it...... check some 'lesser' institutions
before you give up hope - they tend to offer an equal or better education and
are less likely to worry about something like this....

			gln