[comp.edu] Text for Scheme

slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C Slimick) (11/02/90)

One of the languages I will be using in Programming
Languages this winter/spring will be Scheme (PC version).
Can anyone recommend a textbook for use with Scheme?

John Slimick
slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu

university of pittsburgh at bradford
bradford PA

raja@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Raja Sooriamurthi) (11/04/90)

slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C Slimick) writes:

>One of the languages I will be using in Programming
>Languages this winter/spring will be Scheme (PC version).
>Can anyone recommend a textbook for use with Scheme?

Here at Indiana University, two books are primarily used to introduce
students  to Scheme.

1. _The Little LISPer_  by Friedman and Felleisen (MIT press 1987)
	This is a nice compact book most of the material could be
	covered in 2-3 weeks. Very good for a quick introduction.

2. _Scheme and the art of Programming_ by Springer and Friedman (MIT
    press and McGraw Hill, 1989).
	This book is more comprehensive than the Little LISPer and is
	used  here in teaching an introductory course in programming. All
	the programs in it have been run under PC-Scheme and MacScheme.
	After introducing basic concepts of programming and
	programming in Scheme it goes on to deal with more advanced
	programming concepts; object oriented programming, co-routines etc.
	Nice book to learn more about the joys of continuations!

* _The Scheme programming language_ by Kent Dybvig (Prentice Hall 1987)
	is our prime reference regarding the language.

Then of course, there is Abelson and Sussman's classic _Structure and
Interpretation of Computer Programs_ (MIT press 1985)

- Raja

Raja Sooriamurthi                              Computer Science Department
raja@copper.ucs.indiana.edu                       Indiana University

pete@huia.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (Pete Glassenbury) (11/07/90)

From article <56109@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, by slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C Slimick):

> One of the languages I will be using in Programming
> Languages this winter/spring will be Scheme (PC version).
> Can anyone recommend a textbook for use with Scheme?
>
> John Slimick
> slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu
A book written locally is the following. All the scheme programs in the
book have been tested under MacScheme, ChezScheme, T, XScheme and PC Scheme
and are available in machine readable form from the authors

 ``Programming for Artificial Intelligence: Methods, Tools and Applications''
	Wolfgang Kreutzer and Bruce McKenzie
	Addison-Wesley, Workingham, England, 682pp, 1990.
	ISBD 0 201 41621 2

This book combines an overview of the history and philosophy of AI with an
account of how AI programs actually work and how they are constructed, as well
as the language choices, tools, techniques and environments available.
Part of the book provides a survey of three major programming `paradigms'
which affect the way AI programs are written - the procedural, declarative and
object-oriented. The book then looks at specific approaches to AI
programming - the programming `metaphors' - and show where these are
particularly suited to solving certain kinds of AI problems.

The book is aimed at advanced undergraduate and graduate students and is also
applicable to the general reader with an interest in AI - especially those with
a desire to experiment directly with AI programming.

Part of the back cover description says
" Some features of this book include:
- each programming 'paradigm' and 'metaphor'  is fully illustrated by
actual cases, examples and AI applications

- a concise technical introduction is provided to the Scheme, PROLOG,
and Smalltalk languages;

- each section concludes with an interesting collection of exercises and
further reading is suggested throughout;

- an extensive annotated bibliography and selected solutions are
provided within the appendices;

- general-purpose software 'toolboxes' are available on disk and as
program listings for use in constructing actual AI programs. "
--
Peter Glassenbury			Computer Science dept.
pete@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz		University of Canterbury

ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) (11/12/90)

From article <56109@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, by slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C Slimick):

> One of the languages I will be using in Programming
> Languages this winter/spring will be Scheme (PC version).
> Can anyone recommend a textbook for use with Scheme?

`Structure and interpretation of computer programs' by Abelson and
Sussman.  MIT Press.

--
Ken Johnson, AI Applications Institute, 80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN
E-mail ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk, phone 031-225 4464 extension 213