[comp.edu] Courses in Human Interface Design

jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) (11/16/90)

I'm looking for information about courses in Human Interface Design.
What courses are different Universities offering ?
What literature are they using ?
I would appreciate any information you can give me.

Jan Erik Mostr|m                   jem@sm.luth.se
Univ. of Lulea,Sweden              (Bitnet: jem%sm.luth.se@sekth.bitnet)

perlman@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Gary Perlman) (11/18/90)

In article <1622@luth.sm.luth.se> Jan Erik Mostr|m <jem@sm.luth.se> writes:

>I'm looking for information about courses in Human Interface Design.
>What courses are different Universities offering ?
>What literature are they using ?
>I would appreciate any information you can give me.
>
>Jan Erik Mostr|m                   jem@sm.luth.se
>Univ. of Lulea,Sweden              (Bitnet: jem%sm.luth.se@sekth.bitnet)

Besides ordinarily published materials, there are two sources you should
know about.  One is the User Interface Development curriculum module
from the Software Engineering Institute (and written by me), and the
other is the still-yet-to-be-released report of the ACM SIGCHI curriculum
development group (written by a group headed by Tom Hewett (hewett@dupr.bitnet).

You can read about the SEI curriculum module in the November 1990 Human
Factors section of IEEE software, and in more detail in the most recent
issue of the SIGCHI Bulletin.  You can get the curriculum module from
the SEI or from other federal agencies, and there are some support
materials that you can get in printed form from OSU for a small charge
or in electronic form from me for no charge.

Carnegie-Mellon University / Software Engineering Insitute

User Interface Development Curriculum Module, CM-17

ORDERING INFORMATION
====================
To obtain a copy of the CMU/SEI module on User Interface Development,
you can write to the SEI.  The UI Development module is discussed in
detail in the November 1990 Human Factors section of IEEE Software.

Individual copies of the module and support materials
are free to locations within the United States.

Others must order from NTIS or DTIC; their addresses are available from the SEI.

    Norman Gibbs (gibbs@sei.cmu.edu)
    Director of Education
    Software Engineering Institute
    Carnegie-Mellon University
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213

SUPPORT MATERIALS
=================
The CMU/SEI curriculum module on User Interface Development is complemented
by a set of support materials, mainly consisting of about 100 transparency
masters with about 10 embedded diagrams.

If you are on a UNIX system with troff, then I can send you my online
version of the transparency masters that include my personal notes (of
possible worth to you; they are what I lecture from).  The troff source and
macros are free but they do not contain my diagrams, which were drawn on a PC.

	tmac.vg    troff macros for my overheads (ViewGraphs)
	Intro.vg   introductory slides
	Design.vg  user interface design
	Impl.vg    user interface implementation
	Eval.vg    user interface evaluation

The printed versions with figures, delivered to your door,
will cost you $10 to cover our copying and mailing charges.
Make your check out to the Ohio State University.

To print presentation overheads, troff (or whatever roff you use) like so:
	troff tmac.vg Intro.vg
	troff tmac.vg Design.vg
	troff tmac.vg Impl.vg
	troff tmac.vg Eval.vg
You may need to rewrite the typewriter font macro: .(T to use your
constant width font.  See the tmac.vg file, which contains some
comments near the front.

To get lecture notes with my personal notes interspersed with the bullets,
use nroff on the files and the .LC comments will print.  Try it on the
relatively short Intro.vg and you will get the idea.

Please send to me, or the SEI, feedback on your use of the materials.

Name:  Gary Perlman               | Computer and Information Science Department
Email: perlman@cis.ohio-state.edu | Ohio State University, 228 Bolz Hall
Phone: 614-292-2566               | 2036 Neil Avenue Mall
Fax:   614-785-9837 or 292-9021   | Columbus, OH 43210-1277  USA