[comp.edu] Intro course for all majors

lpress@isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) (11/17/90)

We have been thinking about an introductory course for all
undergraduates which would teach skills with personal computer
applications and introduce information processing and information
processing technology.  This would be a "service" course.

Do other schools have such courses?  What is your experience?
Can one course serve all majors?

Larry

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (11/19/90)

In article <15712@venera.isi.edu> lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
>We have been thinking about an introductory course for all
>undergraduates which would teach skills with personal computer
>applications and introduce information processing and information
>processing technology.  This would be a "service" course.
>
>Do other schools have such courses?  What is your experience?
>
>Larry

The Mathematics Department at The University at Albany has a CLASSROOM
equipped with computers for instructional purposes. We offer several
levels of mathematics courses in that classroom including freshman
Calculus. The major software is Maple and all introductory material
for using the software is included as part of the course instruction.
The room is designed in a manner such that no computer is between the
student and the instuctor, and the student is able to simultaneously
interact between
the computer, the blackboard, the instructor, and fellow students.

                                                Herb

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cs.albany.edu  or  hb136@ALBNYVMS.BITNET