[comp.edu] networking books

pwickman@carroll1.cc.edu (Paul J Wickman) (11/28/90)

A friend of mine wants to get into networking and asked me if he knew of
any good books on the subject that I could recommend.  I figured that all
of you helpful people who read news could help me out.  Any suggested titles,
authors, publishers,etc?

	thanks!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 You can keep my things they've come
 to take me home		-P. Gabriel

	pwickman@carroll1.cc.edu
	uunet!marque!carroll1!pwickman

mskucher@aftermath.waterloo.edu (Murray S. Kucherawy) (11/28/90)

pwickman@carroll1.cc.edu (Paul J Wickman) writes:
>A friend of mine wants to get into networking and asked me if he knew of
>any good books on the subject that I could recommend.  I figured that all
>of you helpful people who read news could help me out.  Any suggested titles,
>authors, publishers,etc?

I highly recommend:

	UNIX Networking

		and

	Internetworking with TCP/IP

Sorry, I can't give you more just now - I don't have the books in front
of me.  If you e-mail me, I can provide that information later.

============================== Murray S. Kucherawy ==========================
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada       2A Mathematics/Computer Science
Internet: mskucherawy@<machine>.UWaterloo.ca  UUCP: uunet!watmath!mskucherawy
<machine> ::= { watmath | aftermath | dahlia | trillium | orchid }

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (11/29/90)

"Computer Networks" is an excellent book and it covers networks in
general.  It's by Andrew Tanenbaum.

"Internetworking with TCP/IP" by Douglas Comer might be the most
comprehensive book on TCP/IP.

"UNIX Network Programming" by Stevens covers how to write software for
running over a network.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) (11/30/90)

"Handbook of Computer Communications Standards" Vols 1-3 by William
Stallings are also available. I own Vol 1 and it is very well written.

Vol 1 is OSI standards.
Vol 2 is LAN standards.
Vol 3 is Defence standards (TCP/IP et al).

He also has a book on ISDN.

Kim
--
Kim Letkeman	kim@software.mitel.com