[comp.edu] Writing w/ wp

uselton@nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) (12/08/90)

In article <15541@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>-----
>In article <39937@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>> The earlier you introduce the correct tool , the better. For writing
>> the tool is the word processor. Kindergarten is early enough for
>> most kids.

>As I said before, I believe in airconditioning.  I also believe
>in word processing.  Unlike Publius, I also believe (some) in AI.
>
>Having students use word processors will no more teach them to
>write than having them use pencils.  They are an improvement,
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>just as pencils and erasers are an improvement over quill, knife,
>and blotter.  If word processors make the teaching of writing
>easier and faster, that is great.  But people still have to put
>their own ideas together, and figure out how to best express
>these ideas in words.  And students have to be taught to do this.
>Don't confuse the tool with the skill.
>
>Russell

I agree in the main, but thought I would point out an effect of using
word processors (or text editors) that is somewhat distinct from those
mentioned (at least explicitly) and IMHO very important.

High school composition teachers (maybe even junior high - I can't
remember) were always trying to get students to make outlines and write
multiple drafts of papers.  Re-read and revise, to get improvement.
My English was pretty good, so I usually turned in my first draft and took
my B.  It was TOO MUCH EFFORT to REwrite (or retype) all of the parts that
DIDN'T CHANGE!  And of course the outline was done last.

Once I started using a text editor (graduate school - PDP 11/03, SOS)
revision made sense.  In fact, starting from an OUTLINE and refining
sections started looking a lot like the way I PROGRAM!

When my stepson started bringing home composition assignments, I started
showing him how to use the word processor.  Now he sees the purpose and
utility of outlines and revising.  He has inherited my old Z-100 and WordStar.
It's not a lot, but it is enough to make a critical difference in his
attitude about English class.  (He's in ninth grade now.)

Sam Uselton		uselton@nas.nasa.gov
employed by CSC		working for NASA		speaking for myself