[comp.edu] Writing and word-processing

kemnitz@postgres.uucp (Greg Kemnitz) (12/08/90)

When I was in high school (in those ancient days when Apple II's were the
highest powered PC's available) my writing classes required numerous drafts,
big stacks of 3x5 cards for reference, and preparation of term papers involved
piles of notes that somehow had to evolve through numerous drafts into term
papers.  What a collosal pain in the butt that was!  I hated writing in those
days.  But like other posters I was fortunate enough to take a typing class
in college, although the ancient manual typewriters I used have left me to this
day with a tendency to pound keyboards.

When I got to college, I had the opportunity to use a word processor for the
first time.  Quickly I discovered that the barrier to writing well was more
the constraints of pen and paper (and the subsequent fear of drudgery that I
experienced whenever confronted with a writing task) than any lack of ideas
or ability on my part, and class papers became a relatively trivial task.
Hopefully the notions of a "strawman", "tinman", and "ironman" draft that were
so closely tied to the inflexibility of pen and paper will go the way of the
stone tablet.

My younger brother grew up with word processors, and his writing assignments
are more interesting, more ambitious, and much longer than anything I had to
do in school, but he finishes them in about the same length of time as I did.
He doesn't have the anticipation of weeks of boring drudgery that I encountered
whenever a long writing assignment was given - rather he appears to enjoy them.

Greg Kemnitz                  |      "I ran out of the room - I
Postgres Chief Programmer     |      didn't want to be killed by a pile
278 Cory Hall, UCB            |      of VMS manuals" :-)
(415) 642-7520                |
kemnitz@postgres.berkeley.edu |      --A friend at DEC Palo Alto in the Quake

In article <39952@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> kemnitz@postgres.berkeley.edu (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
> Hopefully the notions of a "strawman", "tinman", and "ironman" draft that were
> so closely tied to the inflexibility of pen and paper will go the way of the
> stone tablet.

Hopefully not. It is hellishly useful to organize revisions into
separate drafts.

Your point is that word processors can push writing over the threshold
between a pain and a joy. So what? That doesn't diminish the importance
of writing well---and good prose requires a brain, not a keyboard.

Russell's analogy: An air conditioner can push Texas driving over the
threshold between a pain and a joy. So what? That doesn't diminish the
importance of driving well---and good driving requires a brake, not an
air conditioner.

---Dan