[comp.edu] Against educational fads

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (12/05/90)

-----
Cross-posted to sci.edu and misc.edu.

-----
In article <cRFNT2w161w@nstar.UUCP> freewill@nstar.UUCP (Bill Williston) writes:
> aren't writing skills and word processing synonymous in 1990?

No.  No.  No.  Not the slightest bit.

One of the world's most preeminent computer scientists, who holds
an endowed chair in the Computer Sciences department here at the
University of Texas, does all of his writing with pen and paper.
In this, he is not alone in the department.  I mention him in
particular because of his iconoclastic views on word processors.
He thinks they are evil.  He thinks they cause writers to focus
on form rather than substance.  He thinks people write better
with pen and paper.

I think he is wrong.  If one were to look at the published
writings of the various professors in this department, I doubt
one could tell which authors write with pen and paper, which
dictate and then revise with pen, and which write with word
processors.  But you can tell who writes well and who writes only
competently.  This is my point: writing skills and media skills
are quite different.

Given a college freshman who writes as well as Edsger Disjkstra,
but who has never seen a typewriter or computer, we can send that
student to an informal or vocational class, and within a semester
that student will be able to type, word process, and manipulate
MS-DOS better than ninety percent of the professors at the
university.  In the meantime, that student's handwritten papers
will be a joy to read, and a welcome break from the perfectly
printed dreck that is more common to college freshmen.  But given
a college freshman who does not know how to write, who cannot put
a verb in each sentence nor an idea in each paragraph, and who
does not know why this is important, then that student's further
education is stymied, regardless of how well that student's
fingers fly over the keyboard.  Remedial writing classes cannot
teach in one semester, or even eight, what was absent in that
student's first decade of learning.

I do not object to high schools offering or mandating classes in
typing, word processing, driving a car, cooking, or any other
useful skill.  But I vehemently protest the idea that any of
these can substitute in even slight degree for the core academic
subjects.  An entering college student needs the writing skills,
mathematics, and basic literary, geographic, and historical
knowledge that primary and secondary schools are supposed to
teach.  If the student does not know how to word process (or how
to drive), that student may be inconvenienced.  Such small skills
are quickly made up.  But it is almost impossible to make up the
academic skills and knowledge that one is expected to acquire in
twelve years of learning!

No, writing skills and word processing are NOT synonymous in
1990.  They will not be synonymous in 2000, nor in 2010.  In
2090, word processing may well be an obsolete practice.  But
writing skills will still be vital to a person's education, just
as they were in 1090, and 90.

> As a high school teacher I can tell you that schools begin
> 'failing' before high school.

Of that, I have no doubt.  But it is frightening that a high
school teacher would confound word processing with writing.
Please, I beg of you, for the sake of our children, think long
and hard about how our primary and secondary schools are failing,
and where the corrective measures lie.  Typing and word
processing classes are irrelevant.

One of the most pernicious influences on our primary and
secondary schools are the teachers who do not know what is
important and lasting in education, and what is a passing fad.
WordPerfect is a passing fad.  The keyboard will last somewhat
longer.  But even after these are obsolete, it will still be
important to know how to put together a sentence.  Teach this
first.

Russell

A.S.Chamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) (12/05/90)

I found being taught to type in High School was one the most valuable
skills I was taught, and (because it is faster than writing) saved me
time later.

I dont think writing should be taught FIRST and typing/Word Processing
after, but they should be taught together (like Physical Ed and History).

One reason I have for saying this is that Writing will not be taught.
The reason for this is that it involves Thinking, and teaching these
things are time-consuming, difficult, and involve skills that many
(most?) teachers do not have.

I have taught at university level for 20 years and been an external
examiner at more universities (Oxbridge for example).  Students at that
level do not know how to express themselves (write).  My guess at the
reasons for this is outlined above.  Perhaps I am incorrect as to the
reasons. Maybe others have their own ideas.

Arnold Chamove
Massey University Psychology
Palmerston North, New Zealand

In article <1990Dec5.005509.11049@massey.ac.nz> A.S.Chamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) writes:
> I found being taught to type in High School was one the most valuable
> skills I was taught, and (because it is faster than writing) saved me
> time later.

Undoubtedly true.  I found that learning how to drive a car
in high school was of great convenience, since this is a
skill that has saved me much time ever since.

> I dont think writing should be taught FIRST and typing/Word Processing
> after, but they should be taught together (like Physical Ed and History).

When I said of writing, "teach this first", I was urging a
priority of importance, not chronology.  I have nothing against
high schools teaching students how to drive before, during, or
after they teach the students world history, for example.  But
world history comes first.  If a high school must choose between
teaching world history well and not teaching students how to
drive, or teaching world history poorly and also teaching them
how to drive, then the former is the better course.

> One reason I have for saying this is that Writing will not be taught.
> The reason for this is that it involves Thinking, and teaching these
> things are time-consuming, difficult, and involve skills that many
> (most?) teachers do not have.

If twenty years from now, high schools no longer teach plane
geometry, because "it involves thinking, and teaching these
things is time-consuming, difficult, and involves skills that
many teachers do not have", should we then accept that geometry
will never again be taught in high schools, and that the best
we can do is add further convenient but inessential coursework
to the high school curriculum?

To the extent that your analysis is true, it points out a major
problem.  The solution involves teaching the necessary skills to
teachers, firing those who cannot or will not learn these, hiring
those who will, and making the teaching of writing a top priority
in high schools.  Typing, word processing, how to drive a car,
how to cook, etc, are all nice things that schools can teach.
But they come second.

Russell

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (12/05/90)

I felt that Arnold Chamove's posting was very reasonable and as he stated, his
point of view. I can't understand why Russell came back and seemed to attempt
to prove that his argument, and only his argument is the correct argument.

Previously Russell stated:
> One of the most pernicious influences on our primary and
> secondary schools are the teachers who do not know what is
> important and lasting in education, and what is a passing fad.

For me, the more 'pernicious influence' is a teacher who 'knows' what is
important and attempt to enforce it.

Lighten up Russ, the worlds has lots of room for opinion.
--Thom Gillespie

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (12/05/90)

------

In article <39897@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
> For me, the more 'pernicious influence' is a teacher who 'knows'
> what is important and attempt to enforce it.

The only way I have attempted to "enforce" my views is through the
force of my words.  Traditionally, this is considered a much more
civilized way to express difference of opinion than most of the
alternatives.

I would ask Mr Gillespie to consider what our world would be
like if all primary and secondary schools tomorrow decided that
reading and writing are unimportant, and they were no longer
going to teach these subjects.  Would he complain?  Would he
stand up and say "some subjects are crucial, and schools should
teach these"?  Or would he consider it a pernicious influence to
take such a stand?

Some cynics might suggest we already live in such a world.  I
don't believe this.  Instead, we live in one where many people do
not understand the importance of certain things, and so many
schools no longer give highest priority to the teaching of
writing when determining curriculum, selecting teachers,
allocating resources, and counseling students.  The result is not
that no one learns to write, but that the process is haphazard
and partial.  Many high school students learn to write quite
well.  Many others, including many of those who enter college, do
not know even the basics.  This lacuna from their primary and
secondary education becomes a barrier to their pursuits in
college and beyond.

Some things are important.  Teaching students how to write is
much more important than teaching them how to use word
processors.  When someone suggests otherwise, they are wrong.  I
will not apologize for saying this.

Russell

publius@halley.UUCP (publius) (12/06/90)

In article <15459@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>------
>I wrote:
>>> One of the most pernicious influences on our primary and
>>> secondary schools are the teachers who do not know what is
>>> important and lasting in education, and what is a passing fad.

I generally agree with Russell's view in this thread.  I simply want to point
out that even the higher education does not escape the problem of chasing
after passing fads.  Just consider the amount of money wasted in AI research,
which adds little to our industrial strength.  I have seen some PhDs in
Computer Science who wrote dissertations on AI yet know little about
the fundamentals of computer systems.

--
Publius            from Austin, Texas
E-Mail: publius%halley.UUCP@cs.utexas.edu

marlowe@paul.rutgers.edu (Thomas Marlowe) (12/06/90)

Russell maintains that teaching students to type/use a word processor will not
necessarily improve writing skills.  Although I agree with him in principle,
there is at least one interesting exceptional case:

Some individuals (of whom I was one) may have problems in writing (that is,
pen-and-ink, or even typewriter), not because of mental disorganization or
confusion, but because of perceptual difficulties which make it hard to FORM
THE LETTERS, or emotional difficulties which make it hard to commit anything to
paper.  These individuals can be helped enormously by the availablity of
mechanical devices, and can make the difference between quality assignments and
no assignments at all.

tom marlowe

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (12/06/90)

-----
In article <Dec.5.16.27.30.1990.6922@paul.rutgers.edu> marlowe@paul.rutgers.edu (Thomas Marlowe) writes:
> Some individuals (of whom I was one) may have problems in writing
> (that is, pen-and-ink, or even typewriter), not because of mental
> disorganization or confusion, but because of perceptual difficulties
> which make it hard to FORM THE LETTERS, or emotional difficulties
> which make it hard to commit anything to paper.  These individuals
> can be helped enormously by the availablity of mechanical devices,
> and can make the difference between quality assignments and no
> assignments at all.

Mr Marlowe is, of course, correct.  What are conveniences for some
are necessities for others.

I don't want people to misunderstand what I am saying.  I think
word processors are great.  Almost all of my writing is done with
word processors or text editors.  But, with the exception that
Mr Marlowe notes, these are not essential to primary and secondary
education.  Teaching students how to write *is* essential.

It's like the difference between airconditioners and brakes in
cars.  Airconditioners are great.  Living in Texas, I think every
car ought to have one.  But brakes are essential.

Russell

schales@photon.tamu.edu (Douglas Lee Schales) (12/06/90)

In article <1199@halley.UUCP> publius@halley.UUCP (publius) writes:

	[ Russell's comments deleted... ]

   I generally agree with Russell's view in this thread.  I simply want to point
   out that even the higher education does not escape the problem of chasing
   after passing fads.  Just consider the amount of money wasted in AI research,
					  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   which adds little to our industrial strength.  I have seen some PhDs in
			    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Computer Science who wrote dissertations on AI yet know little about
   the fundamentals of computer systems.

I think it should be pointed out that *INDUSTRY* funds a large amount of the
AI research.  One would have to conclude that they consider it important,
perhaps not now, but for their future success.

While I am *NOT* an AI fanatic (computer systems and algorithms tend to
hold my fancy), I do recognize that many ideas have come from AI research,
and that its application in other areas will have many benefits.

Also, it should be recognized that Computer Science is becoming a very
broad field and expecting everyone in the field to know a lot about each
area is too much.  One does not expect a civil engineer to know how to
perform the tasks of an electrical engineer.  Why should we expect
AI/Software Engineering/Theory/Systems/etc experts to be competent in areas
outside their chosen fields?  Especially at the Ph.D. level where
specialization plays an important part.  No one area is more important than
the other, each has its place, otherwise, it would not exist.

(If I left your favorite field out above, don't hold it against me.  I just
took a quick sample of my memory space and those are the ones I found... :)
)

Comments/Suggestions/Criticisms/Flames/Hate-mail are quite welcome.

Douglas Lee Schales
schales@cs.tamu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science
Texas A&M University

jon@osf.org (Jon Taylor) (12/06/90)

  Thanks to Russell Turpin for bringing up this very important point:
 fads come and go, while real education, understanding, and knowledge are
 relatively permanent.  We have become so enamored of technological and
 scientific progress that we seem to think that nothing traditional has any
 value.  The schools only reflect this attitude.

  Mr. Turpin writes:

> One of the most pernicious influences on our primary and
> secondary schools are the teachers who do not know what is
> important and lasting in education, and what is a passing fad.

  I agree completely with the sentiment, but I do think it's a bit strong
 to fault teachers alone:  the educrats and politicians and the general
 public itself have to accept the blame as well.

  In another message he writes:

|> Some things are important.  Teaching students how to write is
|> much more important than teaching them how to use word
|> processors.  When someone suggests otherwise, they are wrong.  I
|> will not apologize for saying this.

  Nor should you.  Well spoken - uh, I mean written - that is, processed?

  Seriously, this point can't be overemphasized.  No amount of technology
 will replace the need for human beings (educated ones, at least) to be able
 to use the written/printed word as a means of communicating ideas.  Relying
 on graphics and pictures and spoken language alone will lead, I believe, to
 a continuing increase in fuzzy thinking and a loss of ability to reason.

A.S.Chamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) (12/06/90)

Russell

I am sorry if what I said appeared to be critical of your contribution.
I make it a rule NEVER to criticize what others say using E-mail, as (in
my observation and experience) it leads to unproductive interchange.  I
found your contribution thought-provoking (which is why I responded), and
insightful.

I was only agreeing that word-processing and writing skills are
different; that I found both of value; and thought both should  be
taught.  I never meant to suggest that either should be dropped,
especially writing.  My contribution was wondering why it appears that so
few people know how to write.  I dont remember ever being taught (which
may be memory loss on my part).

And following on from your response, I dont remember ever being taught
History "properly" either.  My instruction was all Names and Dates and
'Causes'.  It is only much later that I realized that there were lessions
of life embedded in all of that.  Judging from TV, there is very little
real History taught to TV journalists.  Comments on Iraq are all Hitler
references, and very little else.

Arnold Chamove
Massey University Psychology
Palmerston North, New Zealand

morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (12/06/90)

It seems to me that we may be approaching this from the wrong perspective.
I don't think that any of us want to emasculate the current high school
curricula by replacing mathematics/history/foreign language/whatever with
computer science.  Why not start encouraging students to program with
"alternative" projects?  For instance, wouldn't an "interactive timeline"
program have just as much validity as any History term paper?  Wouldn't
a computer simulation of a Chemistry experiment <not *every* experiment,
but perhaps one or two> be acceptable in place of the experiment itself?

Most schools with computer facilities dedicate those facilities to
the computer science curriculum.  How about just throwing the lab open?
Almost all students take a "study hall" during their high school years.
Those students could be exploring computers during that time.  If their
instructors in other classes could accept some digital work in place of
regular assignments, the students might be more and more inclined to
explore further.......

Teachers should be flexible enough to accept computer-based work as
well as that created by pen and paper.  Why not come up with a policy
something like:
     "With the permission of the instructor, students may submit
      computer-based work in fulfillment of no more than two (2)
      assignments during this course.  The student must obtain the
      approval of the instructor for such work prior to submission."
So the scenario runs something like this:
     Teacher: OK, class, your next assignment is to write a paper
              on the plays of Shakespeare.  <brrrrrrring!>  That's
              all for today; your papers are due next Friday.
     Student: Mr. Wizard, I'd like to do something a little different.
              How about a quiz program that would ask questions about
              Shakespeare, his life, and his plays?  I could have it
              ask about memorable quotes and characters, too.
     Teacher: Well, I think that would be fine, but it's still due
              next Friday.
What's the big deal?  If the student does a good job, the teacher now
has a CAI tool for use with future classes.  The knowledge of Shakespeare
required for such a program is virtually the same as that required for a
term paper.  I admit that one cannot 'compare and contrast' in a computer
program, as can be done in a term paper.  That's the reason for the "per-
mission of instructor" clause in the policy.  The limit on assignments for
which computer work can be submitted also ensures that the student will
have to demonstrate his analytical abilities during the course.

Comments?

--
    | Wes Morgan, not speaking for | {any major site}!ukma!ukecc!morgan |
    | the University of Kentucky's |        morgan@engr.uky.edu         |

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (12/07/90)

In article <15488@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>-----
>In article <Dec.5.16.27.30.1990.6922@paul.rutgers.edu> marlowe@paul.rutgers.edu (Thomas Marlowe) writes:
>> Some individuals (of whom I was one) may have problems in writing
>> (that is, pen-and-ink, or even typewriter), not because of mental
>> disorganization or confusion, but because of perceptual difficulties
>> which make it hard to FORM THE LETTERS, or emotional difficulties
>> which make it hard to commit anything to paper.  These individuals
>> can be helped enormously by the availablity of mechanical devices,
>> and can make the difference between quality assignments and no
>> assignments at all.
>
>Mr Marlowe is, of course, correct.  What are conveniences for some
>are necessities for others.
>
>I don't want people to misunderstand what I am saying.  I think
>word processors are great.  Almost all of my writing is done with
>word processors or text editors.  But, with the exception that
>Mr Marlowe notes, these are not essential to primary and secondary
>education.  Teaching students how to write *is* essential.
>
>It's like the difference between airconditioners and brakes in
>cars.  Airconditioners are great.  Living in Texas, I think every
>car ought to have one.  But brakes are essential.
>
>Russell

There are a variety of ways to 'teach students how to write'. One is the grunt
and groan method with paper , eraser, and tears , a newer one is with a word
processor. IBM has a program which is amazing called "Write to Read". I've seen
it used with kids as young as 5 -- it is amazing. It uses the computer along
with the traditional methods to teach writing, costs money but is much more
effective 'Teaching students how to write'; There was a study done by BBN
called the Quill project. One of the sights was in Rural Alaska, I think the
school teacher was named Bonnie Bless. They quantified how many words kids used
in their stories before they were introduced to word processing. The difference
was considerable as you'd expect. Using a word processor like WriteNow with a
spell checker is amazing with kids. My son, who is one of those kids with a
physical problem writing, loves to use the word processor, writes more and
better with it, and always uses the spell checker because it has a button
called "guess" -- he thinks it's a game. Great motivator.

The earlier you introduce the correct tool , the better. For writing the tool
is the word processor. Kindergarten is early enough for most kids.

All this back to the basics talk is junk. What the basics are is anyones guess
and usually they leave out art and music. If you've ever heard Alan Kay talk
about kids and computers he always refers to music -- he's a musician -- his
whole basis for the Dynabook is the 'flute', the ultimate fanatsy amplifier.
Russel et al seem to relegate computing/programming to the drivers ed approach
of education, something that can occur whenever. If it is media than it must
occur early.

Just 'another' point of view Russ, not yours obviously. Get airconditioned!
	Thom Gillespie

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (12/07/90)

 >No amount of technology will replace the need for human beings (educated
 >ones, at least) to be able to use the written/printed word as a means of
 >communicating ideas.  Relying

 Mcluhan said ,"he didn't know who discovered water but it wasn't fish" He was
 talking about the blindness of society to the technologies of 'print',
 'writing', 'language', etc. They are all technologies which we adapted to.
 What type of person did you have to become to use 'print'? What type of person
 would you have been if you didn't?

 We 'are' technology.

 Technologically yours,
	Thom Androbot

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (12/07/90)

-----
In article <39937@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
> The earlier you introduce the correct tool , the better. For writing
> the tool is the word processor. Kindergarten is early enough for
> most kids.

I don't disagree.

> Just 'another' point of view Russ, not yours obviously. Get
> airconditioned!

As I said before, I believe in airconditioning.  I also believe
in word processing.  Unlike Publius, I also believe (some) in AI.

Having students use word processors will no more teach them to
write than having them use pencils.  They are an improvement,
just as pencils and erasers are an improvement over quill, knife,
and blotter.  If word processors make the teaching of writing
easier and faster, that is great.  But people still have to put
their own ideas together, and figure out how to best express
these ideas in words.  And students have to be taught to do this.
Don't confuse the tool with the skill.

Russell

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (12/09/90)

In article <15541@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>-----
>In article <39937@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>> The earlier you introduce the correct tool , the better.

> ... long winding path ...

>As I said before, I believe in airconditioning.  I also believe
>in word processing.  Unlike Publius, I also believe (some) in AI.
>
>Having students use word processors will no more teach them to
>write than having them use pencils.  They are an improvement,
>just as pencils and erasers are an improvement over quill, knife,
>and blotter.  If word processors make the teaching of writing
>easier and faster, that is great.  But people still have to put
>their own ideas together, and figure out how to best express
>these ideas in words.  And students have to be taught to do this.
>Don't confuse the tool with the skill.
>
>Russell

THere is no cofusing the tool with the skill if you realize that there is no
separation between the tool and the skill. If you can play the piano, the
violin, the flute, then you can play music. If can't use the musical tools than
you can't play music -- there is not music without the tool. If you can't weild
a brush or a piece of lead then you can do the plastic arts:painting, printing,
etc. Can you play basketball if you can't bounce and shot the ball?

Can you write before you can handle the tools of pencil and paper -- they are
tools just as much as a word processor is a tool. The answer is no, like with
music, without the tools there is no writing, or music, or basketball. If you
can use the tools then you can play music, basketball, ... and write. Teach the
tools and you teach the skill.

Daniel Fader did some research and wrote a book called "Hooked on Books." He
figured that if you want to kids to read then you have to get to read. The only
way to get them to read was to give them what they wanted to read regardless of
the quality or subject matter ... it was very effective as you would expect. We
tend to get better at what we do the more we do it. He extended this approach
to writing and had kids writing daily -- copying from Newsweek or any other
written material was encouraged. They weren't 'taught' to write with a bunch of
disembodied rules, they 'learned' to write the way everything else in life is
learned ... by imitation. You learn to walk, talk, play music and basketball,
all by imitation. First the tool and then the imitation, and then skill
develops. A.S. Neill observed the same development in the Summerhill school in
England. There is an element of 'desire' that has to come from within for
learning to be complete.

The problem with learning math has been that there haven't been good 'tools' to
learn to use, just rulers, protractors, and slide rules and symbolic rules. There have been studies which show that kids learn math quicker with a calculator
because they get to 'see' the pattern of the numbers develop quicker than if
they used paper and pencil -- these are elementary aged kids!

That was what Papert was trying to explain in "Mind Storms" with his
development of LOGO. That is what 'tools' like Mathematica and other math
simulators are doing today. Programming provides an excellent tool for
'learning' math. And if you want to use programming in a math class then you
must the students must have the tool down cold. Word processors provide an
excellent tool for 'learning' writing ... programming may also be an excellent
tool for 'learning' writing?

Again, pencil and paper are tools just like a word processor, the alphabet is a
tool for communication -- all language is a tool for communication. You only
have skill when you have mastered the tool. There is no separation.

--Thom Gillespie

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (12/09/90)

-----
In article <39960@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
> THere is no cofusing the tool with the skill if you realize that
> there is no separation between the tool and the skill. If you can
> play the piano, the violin, the flute, then you can play music.
> If can't use the musical tools than you can't play music -- there
> is not music without the tool. ...
>
> Can you write before you can handle the tools of pencil and
> paper -- they are tools just as much as a word processor is
> a tool. ...

There is some truth in what Mr Gillespie says, but he presses the
point too far.  Yes, the student must be able to use *some*
writing tool in order to write.  It is also true, as others point
out, that some tools are more convenient and easier to use than
others.

But for writing, mastery of the tool is NOT the same as mastery
of the skill.  One can be adept at word processing, and be a
terrible writer.  There are countless examples of this.
Conversely, one can be an excellent writer, despite not being
good with any tool; such as an author who writes only with pencil
and paper, and that in a crabbed hand that only the author's
dedicated secretary can read.  (A real example is Stephen Hawking,
who is a good writer, but I doubt there is *any* writing tool at
which he is proficient, unless one wants to count his assistant as
a "tool" rather than a kind listener who transcribes his work.)

This is where the analogy with music falls flat.  To be an
excellent musician, one must be excellent with some instrument.
Not so writing.  In writing, one can master the tools, and still
be a terrible writer.  Is this true in music?  (Some might say
that there are technically adept players who lack musicality, but
are we not now distinguishing degrees of excellence, rather than
proficiency from ineptness?)

When I speak of writing, it should be clear that I am NOT talking
about penmanship, typing skills, word processing ability, nor any
other skill that produces a physical transcript that is easy on
the eyes.  Instead, I am talking about the ability to put words
together in a way that effectively expresses one's thoughts:
narration, composition, and rhetoric.  The tool that is required
for this is one's mind, and it is this tool that it takes years
to teach students to master.  Obviously, there must be some
channel to the physical medium.  But the skills required to use
these different channels are (for most of us) easy to acquire
compared to the difficulty of becoming a good writer.  Teachers
who think that they teach writing by teaching adeptness at
these various channels are greatly mistaken.

Russell

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (12/10/90)

In article <1199@halley.UUCP> publius@halley.UUCP@cs.utexas.edu
(Publius) writes:
>... I have seen some PhDs in
>Computer Science who wrote dissertations on AI yet know little about
>the fundamentals of computer systems.

And I have seen some PhDs in Computer Science who wrote dissertations on
distributed systems yet know little about the fundamentals of AI.
Unfortunately, our field is becoming over-specialized, and most
postgraduate programs have unsatisfactory breadth requirements. What
this has to do with fads is beyond me, though, because virtually all CS
research is fad-driven, via military/governmental/industrial funding,
all of which are less interested in basic research than in short-term
agendas.

What's more to the point is to recognize that fads are a fundamental
property of basic research (remember cold fusion? Deader than the
Village People), and to ensure that our teaching attempts to reconcile
both the fads of the day with more enduring material.
--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."

In article <16495@s.ms.uky.edu> morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
>...  Why not start encouraging students to program with
>"alternative" projects?  For instance, wouldn't an "interactive timeline"
>program have just as much validity as any History term paper?  Wouldn't
>a computer simulation of a Chemistry experiment <not *every* experiment,
>but perhaps one or two> be acceptable in place of the experiment itself?
It's not so much a question of the educational validity of a particular
experience, but rather whether that experience really does the job. For
example, the interactive timeline project is particularly valuable to
get students thinking about historical processes, but they may well get
bogged down in factual matters. (I'll come back to this point in a
moment.) The chemistry simulation is also valuable, but isn't the same
as really mucking about with test-tubes and bunsen burners. (Why?
Because if you do the experiment for real, you are duplicating what the
actual discoverer(s) of that principle did.

People often try to come up with clever applications for computers in
schools. As a computer scientist and a (former) high-school teacher, I
can confidently say that this is putting the cart before the horse.
First, we must try to determine what we're teaching and why, and only
then determine what means we will use to achieve this goal. `How can we
use the computer in our school?' is most definitely the wrong question.
`What tools should we use to solve problem X?' is the right question.

All of this leads to my claim that educators and educational
technologists have very different goals. The technologist should be
developing tools, and pushing the frontier of what can be done with a
computer (or other technologies) in an educational setting; but it is
the educator who must decide whether that tool is appropriate in a given
problem.

Word processing is a case in point: in fact, it was the English
teachers who decided that WP was a good thing for students, not because
it meant that the students don't have to spend time studying boring old
Thomas Hardy instead, but because those teachers were able to see that
WP, if used appropriately, helps the student to produce better writing.
The onus is still on the teacher to ensure that the student is in fact
using WP appropriately.

--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."
 /\  University of British Columbia                        -- A. Trevor Hodge
/  \ Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1W5 (604) 228-2394

dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) (12/11/90)

My unsolicited $.02:

One of the reasons that students are becoming less and less capable
of putting together coherent sentences is the loose structure of the
English language -- it makes teaching grammar nigh impossible. (Anyone
I've ever known who teaches a course on the structure of English has
at some point referred to that course as an oxymoron.) Teach them a
foreigh language (preferably Latin), with emphasis on grammatical
structure, and start early.

Dave L.			dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil
#24601			dlindsle@eagle.UUCP

#include ".signature.obligatory"
.disclaimer	I, and I only, speak for myself, and myself only.
.cute.quote	"If you don't succeed at first, transform your data set!"

In article <15447@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>          The solution involves teaching the ne
cessary skills to
>teachers, firing those who cannot or will not learn these, hiring
>those who will, and making the teaching of writing a top priority
>in high schools.
>
>Russell

Amen. (You know you're going to get flamed here, don't you?)

Dave L
#24601

dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) (12/11/90)

In article <39937@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>In article <15488@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>>-----
>>In article <Dec.5.16.27.30.1990.6922@paul.rutgers.edu> marlowe@paul.rutgers.edu (Thomas Marlowe) writes:
>
> <stuff rm'ed>
>
>There are a variety of ways to 'teach students how to write'. One is the grunt
>and groan method with paper , eraser, and tears , a newer one is with a word
>processor. IBM has a program which is amazing called "Write to Read". I've seen

I analyzed survey data for an entire city (roughly 1M population) school
system on whether Write-to-Read introduced any significant improvement.
After eliminating the influence of other variables (i.e. male vs. female,
family income, etc.) the difference was not anywhere near as great as anyone
had been led to believe.

>The earlier you introduce the correct tool , the better. For writing the tool
>is the word processor. Kindergarten is early enough for most kids.

Absolutely. Use the correct tools.

>All this back to the basics talk is junk.

Absolutely *not*. The job at hand consists of more than using the
correct tools. All a tool can do is make the transition from idea
to reality less painless, i.e. reduce the drudgery. Word processors,
etc., are great for getting things on paper, but you have to have
something to *say* first. And things like grammar help you to learn
to have something to say (i.e. by learning to organize your thoughts).
If a mechanic has one of those fancy computers that can tell what's
wrong with your car inside of 5 seconds, great. But the mechanic
still has to look under the hood -- and know *where* under the hood
to look -- to fix it. The tool makes the use of one's training more
efficient. It is not and cannot be a substitute for that training.
All that "back to the basics" means (IMHO) is that the fanciest tools
are no substitute for the proper training...

Dave L
#24601

mickey@ncst.ernet.in (R Chandrasekar) (12/11/90)

In article <15425@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>-----
>In article <cRFNT2w161w@nstar.UUCP> freewill@nstar.UUCP (Bill Williston) writes:
>> aren't writing skills and word processing synonymous in 1990?
>
>No.  No.  No.  Not the slightest bit.

  [ ... ]

I do agree that writing skills and word processing are not in any way
synonymous. But I do think there is some merit in using packages
to improve, for example, language use.

Take the WWB set of programs on Unix machines - in
particular: spell, style and diction.

These programs can be used to sensitize people to proper spelling,
high readability and reasonable language use. Of course, one should
not take the output of these programs as absolute truth. Use them
to locate 'weak' points, and use other methods to fix these points.

So, if you bundle together a set of packages, and have
interesting exercises, where you use the packages to critique
your efforts, you have the beginnings of a course. The key thing,
I guess, is that you get feedback on your creative efforts,
something that a large class cannot usually expect from a
human tutor.

> But even after these are obsolete, it will still be
>important to know how to put together a sentence.  Teach this
>first.

By all means, yes. And do consider using well-designed systems
to reinforce what you teach.

   -- Chandrasekar

dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) (12/11/90)

In article <39960@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:

> [lots deleted]
>
>THere is no cofusing the tool with the skill if you realize that there is no
>separation between the tool and the skill. If you can play the piano, the
>violin, the flute, then you can play music. If can't use the musical tools than
>you can't play music -- there is not music without the tool. If you can't weild
>a brush or a piece of lead then you can do the plastic arts:painting, printing,
>etc. Can you play basketball if you can't bounce and shot the ball?

Your analogy is inadequate. Writing deals with *ideas*. A closer parallel
would be between proficiency on an instrument and the ability to compose/
write music. And there have been no dearth of musical geniuses with
minimal instrumental training... some of the folk/blues greats never learned
to read sheet music...
Likewise, one could be an excellent coach/strategist without knowing how
to shoot.
And what political philosophy/system do you know of that didn't need to
be tweaked before being put into practice? Here again, the theorists are
rarely the same people as the practitioners.
You fail to separate the creation and the execution/performance...

>Again, pencil and paper are tools just like a word processor, the alphabet is a
>tool for communication -- all language is a tool for communication. You only
>have skill when you have mastered the tool. There is no separation.
>
>--Thom Gillespie

Yes, *communication*. There is a difference between an idea and its
effective communication. Are you talking about writing/education just
as a means of communication? It should be more than that. It should
train the student to think. It's not just the medium, but having a
real, substantial message that's important.

black_pd@darwin.ntu.edu.au (12/11/90)

In article <1805@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) writes:
> My unsolicited $.02:
>
> One of the reasons that students are becoming less and less capable
> of putting together coherent sentences is the loose structure of the
> English language -- it makes teaching grammar nigh impossible. (Anyone
> I've ever known who teaches a course on the structure of English has
> at some point referred to that course as an oxymoron.) Teach them a
> foreigh language (preferably Latin), with emphasis on grammatical
> structure, and start early.

Well, you're certainly entitled to put in your $.02 worth, but as someone
who teaches both English structure and writing skills I'd be interested
in doing what I can to change your opinion, which is probably quite a
widely held one. My position is that:

-  English is just as well structured as any other language (although
     in specific ways it may be simpler or more complex than other
     languages); and

-  Students can learn to write coherent English when they have appropriate
     tuition, in which instruction is grammar tends to be useful only
     to the extent it is clearly related to the task of writing (or
     perhaps reading). In any case it is not the nature of English
     itself that makes it difficult to learn composition.

I'm not sure what I can add to convince people of these things. There
is certainly much professional literature relevant to the matter (perhaps
a place to start is Dwight Bolinger's very readable _Language: The
Loaded Weapon_ (Longman, 1980)). But if you (net.people in general)
think about my position and still don't believe me, I'd be interested
in knowing why.

I suggest that followups be sent to misc.education alone.

Paul Black                             Applied Linguistics in Education
black_pd@darwin.ntu.edu.au     Northern Territory University, Australia

bs@faron.mitre.org (Robert D. Silverman) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec11.152706.467@darwin.ntu.edu.au> black_pd@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
:In article <1805@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) writes:
:> My unsolicited $.02:
:>
:> One of the reasons that students are becoming less and less capable
:> of putting together coherent sentences is the loose structure of the
:> English language -- it makes teaching grammar nigh impossible. (Anyone
:> I've ever known who teaches a course on the structure of English has
:> at some point referred to that course as an oxymoron.) Teach them a
:> foreigh language (preferably Latin), with emphasis on grammatical
:> structure, and start early.
:

The MAIN reason students today are less capable of writing coherent English
than students of a generation ago, is that they are reading much less and
watching television much more.

Too much TV.

Too little reading.

Together, they are a powerful tool for promoting ignorance.

It has very little to do with the loose structure of English. If they
read enough, they will acquire said structure.
--
Bob Silverman
#include <std.disclaimer>

dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec11.152706.467@darwin.ntu.edu.au> black_pd@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>In article <1805@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) writes:
>>
>> [English is unstructured so we need foreign-language courses]
>>

>-  English is just as well structured as any other language (although
>     in specific ways it may be simpler or more complex than other
>     languages); and
>
>-  Students can learn to write coherent English when they have appropriate
>     tuition, in which instruction is grammar tends to be useful only
>     to the extent it is clearly related to the task of writing (or
>     perhaps reading). In any case it is not the nature of English
>     itself that makes it difficult to learn composition.

I'm following up here because I feel I may have been insufficiently
clear in my original posting.

The widespread irregularity of English verbs makes learning any underlying
structure difficult -- more difficult, I'd contend, than in other Western
languages. In addition, it is difficult to tell gerunds from participles,
and because of the lack of any real declension mechanism, it is also
more difficult to distinguish between direct and indirect objects (etc.)
Cumulatively, these things make it harder to learn to write in English.

In any case, study of a foreign language is IMHO a good thing because
one can compare and contrast. Thus, one can gain insights into grammatical
structure(s) which one might not gain otherwise (or only with considerably
more effort).

I apologize if my sloth in expressing myself clearly caused me to be
misunderstood.

Dave L
#24601

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (12/12/90)

In article <127218@linus.mitre.org> bs@faron.mitre.org (Robert D. Silverman) writes:
>:> ... trimmmmed down ...
>:> My unsolicited $.02:
>:>
>:> One of the reasons that students are becoming less and less capable
>:> also ... trimmmmed down ...
>
>The MAIN reason students today are less capable of writing coherent English
>than students of a generation ago, is that they are reading much less and
>watching television much more.

Is this more back to the basic stuff, the good old days? etc.
My guess is that students today think better than when I was a kid. They may
not know the same but they know what they need to know. They will do fine. Time
marches forward not backwards.

>It has very little to do with the loose structure of English. If they
>read enough, they will acquire said structure.
>--
>Bob Silverman

Do we want them to acquier structure or intelligence? You don't need grammar or
gerunds to think.

>"You can lead a horse's ass to knowledge, but you can't make him think"

"... but you can make him watch."

--Thom Gillespie
--Thom Gillespie

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (12/12/90)

In article <39897@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
<I felt that Arnold Chamove's posting was very reasonable and as he stated, his
<point of view. I can't understand why Russell came back and seemed to attempt
<to prove that his argument, and only his argument is the correct argument.

Because it *is*.

<Previously Russell stated:
<
<For me, the more 'pernicious influence' is a teacher who 'knows' what is
<important and attempt to enforce it.

Even the most simple-minded educrat will probably agree that such skills as
reading and writing are essential.  Typing is also very important, and I
certainly encourage people to learn to type, but it's not fundamental to life
in today's society.  If you think that typing is more important than writing,
well, I suppose we never shall share pedagogical ideas.

<Lighten up Russ, the worlds has lots of room for opinion.

Opinion?  Indeed, there are those who are of the opinion that typing and
word-processing skills are more important than writing skills.  Russell and
I won't agree with these people on much.  Russell's article stated the
(correct) opinion that writing skills are more important to most than typing
skills.

The world can use only so many secretaries but needs plenty of good writers.

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne@cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (12/12/90)

In article <1805@blackbird.afit.af.mil> dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) writes:
<
<One of the reasons that students are becoming less and less capable
<of putting together coherent sentences is the loose structure of the
<English language -- it makes teaching grammar nigh impossible.

I don't think so.  The problem is that students aren't exposed to enough good
writing.  If they never see any, how can they possibly produce any?

I agree that foreign languages are important, but for a different reason.

					--Scott

--

dlm@sjfc.UUCP (Don Muench) (12/12/90)

In article <16495@s.ms.uky.edu>, morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
> ..........Why not start encouraging students to program with
> "alternative" projects?  For instance, wouldn't an "interactive timeline"
> program have just as much validity as any History term paper?  Wouldn't
> a computer simulation of a Chemistry experiment <not *every* experiment,
> but perhaps one or two> be acceptable in place of the experiment itself?

> ..............The knowledge of Shakespeare
> required for such a program is virtually the same as that required for a
> term paper.  I admit that one cannot 'compare and contrast' in a computer
> program, as can be done in a term paper.  That's the reason for the "per-
> mission of instructor" clause in the policy.  The limit on assignments for
> which computer work can be submitted also ensures that the student will
> have to demonstrate his analytical abilities during the course.

Students should be given opportunities to do a variety of things, maybe
for extra credit.  But, an interactive timeline is not the same as a History
term paper.  And, a computer simulation of a chemistry experiment is not the
same as the actual experiment.  The simulation really can't be done unless
the writer already has already done the experiment.  The writer needs to
know what it is that she wants to simulate!  Again the Shakespeare really
needs to be thoroughly understood and analyzed and clarified so that the
CAI leads the student to form ideas and connections that we wish her to make.

This reminds me of the "debate" (please send flames to /dev/null or to
alt.animal.rights) about animal rights and vivisection.  SHould students
dissect cats and rats and mice, etc, or should they imagine it through
computer simulations?   Well, if I need my appendix removed, I'd rather
not have it done by simulation! (Repeat: take the flames elsewhere...not
to my mailbox!)

Don

Don Muench  	                  Phone: (716) 385-8155
Dept. of Maths. & Comp. Sci.      E-mail: uunet!uupsi!cci632!sjfc!dlm
St. John Fisher College                   or  sjfc!dlm@cci.com
Rochester, NY 14618-9987          Fax: (716) 385-8129

In article <27743@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
>In article <39897@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>
> ... past context trimmed ...
>
>Even the most simple-minded educrat will probably agree that such skills as
>reading and writing are essential.  Typing is also very important, and I
>certainly encourage people to learn to type, but it's not fundamental to life
>in today's society.  If you think that typing is more important than writing,
>well, I suppose we never shall share pedagogical ideas.
>
><Lighten up Russ, the worlds has lots of room for opinion.
>
>Opinion?  Indeed, there are those who are of the opinion that typing and
>word-processing skills are more important than writing skills.  Russell and
>I won't agree with these people on much.  Russell's article stated the
>(correct) opinion that writing skills are more important to most than typing
>skills.
>
>The world can use only so many secretaries but needs plenty of good writers.
>
>					--Scott

Am I a simple minded 'educrat', I hope not.

Am I a simple minded 'father' maybe. I'm in close charge of two kids who have
been using word processors since they were 3 -- Macs of course. My observations
are not disembodied theory. I wake them every morning.

Was this discussion about writing and typing? No. I merely claim that you can
teach the skill of writing better with a word processor than you can with a
pencil because the response time is better and it is a more convivial tool. I
also claim that you can't teach the skill of writing without a tool. Minimum
tool is language but since writing tends to be 'put down somewhere' I assume
that we need a 'put er downer':pen, brush, chisel, word processor. I have never
figured out what tool Russell is using. If he would name his tool then maybe we
could then assume certain givens and look at the differences which will be the
tools of choice.

I think that if Scott is going to post, he needs to read the entire discussion
to get a drift for where it came from and where it might be going

The response about secretaries is possibly sexist and at the least degrading.
Why would you assume secretaries aren't writers. My guess is that they are much
better than average... because they know how to use, and do use the best
writing tool ever invented:-)

--Thom Gillespie

klf@cbnewsi.att.com (karen.l.fenton) (12/12/90)

In article <27743@cs.yale.edu>, horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
> Opinion?  Indeed, there are those who are of the opinion that typing and
> word-processing skills are more important than writing skills.  Russell and
> I won't agree with these people on much.  Russell's article stated the
> (correct) opinion that writing skills are more important to most than typing
> skills.
>
> The world can use only so many secretaries but needs plenty of good writers.

First of all...I *AGREE* that good writing skills are much
more important than any transcription abilities.

			But...

Only in our dreams does this world need/use/appreciate good writers
more than a good secretary. Face it: our entire culture is built on
and is subordinate to COMMERCE. A good writer is useful only
in that arena. We encourage/support/pay clerks and secretaries
much more than writers - unless the writer is Stephen King or the
guy who writes the Burger King ad. And you're back to $$$$.

There's no contradiction in our school systems...we are turning
out precisely the type of person our society values and is willing
to pay for.

caught on a bad day...
K. Fenton

tok@stbimbo.UUCP (Terry Kane) (12/12/90)

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:

>People often try to come up with clever applications for computers in
>schools. As a computer scientist and a (former) high-school teacher, I
>can confidently say that this is putting the cart before the horse.
>First, we must try to determine what we're teaching and why, and only
>then determine what means we will use to achieve this goal. `How can we
>use the computer in our school?' is most definitely the wrong question.
>`What tools should we use to solve problem X?' is the right question.

Indeed, this is a common problem, one which is not limited to education
but is taught in schools everywhere.  I see this problem as a lack of
analytical and planning skills.

You can probably look around you and see numerous examples of technology
applied for technology's sake.  This might be a distributed data sharing
system developed without analyzing the users' real needs - which may
actually call for a complete redevelopment of an existing paper system
at considerably less cost than a laptop(s)+server system purchase.
Of course, the computer solution could - and probably would - create
an explosion! of productivity IF THE PROBLEMS WERE PROPERLY DEFINED.

This is a skill that can be taught in mathematics to very young people.
You know the technique.  It's the dreaded word problem.  (How about that?
We're back to reading skills.)

An equally important method of teaching analytical and planning skills
is good old composition.  If a person can not state a problem (the thesis)
and solve it in a disciplined manner (development and conclusion) in an
English (rather, the person's native tongue) then that person can prob-
ably not succeed in the computer industry, or any other, without resort-
ing to the princely means described by Machiavelli.

I know that teachers try to develop students' abilities to think, and I
know that most do quite well, according to the students' abilities -
physical, emotional, environmental, intellectual and whatever other
abilities you may care to name.  (Each person is an individual; no two
learn the same thing the same way.) I also know that pre-university
schooling includes a social education.

A person must learn many things to become an asset to society, but some
things are not learned as well as they should be.  Teachers - teach
disciplined thinking, please.

ifaq570@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Kitchen) (12/13/90)

	Obviously been through one test too many....
allen

In article <16495@s.ms.uky.edu> morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
> Why not start encouraging students to program with
> "alternative" projects?  For instance, wouldn't an "interactive timeline"
> program have just as much validity as any History term paper?

No, it wouldn't. Programming experience does not substitute for writing
experience. The latter is far more important in the real world.

(My cynical side says that neither an ``interactive timeline'' nor a
history term paper is much more than an exercise in bull, but at least
writing bull is more of an intellectual challenge than coding it.)

---Dan

In article <1811@blackbird.afit.af.mil> dlindsle@blackbird.afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) writes:
> The widespread irregularity of English verbs makes learning any underlying
> structure difficult -- more difficult, I'd contend, than in other Western
> languages.

Hardly. In fact, verb structure is simpler in English than in any other
language I know of. The verb ``catch'' has just five forms: infinitive
(to catch), present third person singular (he catches), past (I caught),
perfect (I have caught), and participle (I am catching).

catch/catches/caught/caught/catching is a *complete* conjugation. What
other language is so simple? To learn a verb in English you must learn
just five words. There is only one standard exception: ``to be.'' And a
small set of spelling hints will almost always let you get away with a
single form. In French there are at least 200 different verb types, each
with its own peculiarities. Even Latin has five basic types and lots of
variations.

> In addition, it is difficult to tell gerunds from participles,

A gerund is a noun. A participle is not. That's about as simple as a
language rule can get.

> and because of the lack of any real declension mechanism, it is also
> more difficult to distinguish between direct and indirect objects (etc.)

People are *good* at language. They parse generatively: they only read
``catching'' in ``John is catching the bus'' after they've begun to
expect a participle. By the time they read ``the bus'' they expect a
direct object. It's easy to read something if it matches your
expectations, word for word.

You say that it's difficult to distinguish between direct and indirect
objects---people ``get on'' the same ``bus'' that they ``catch.'' So
what? After someone reads ``get on'' he expects, consciously or not, an
indirect object. After someone reads ``catch'' he expects a direct
object. ``Get on the bus'' and ``catch the bus'' are trivial to
understand.

You're talking about these ``problems'' of English as if the subject
line were ``How to program a natural-language parser.'' Sure, it's not
easy to teach generative parsing to a computer. Sure, linguists have
only been somewhat successful at formal models of natural languages.
But people will continue to read. And when I write

   Hofstadter's works are amazing! They cannot help but make the
   intelligent man reevaluate his thoughts and morals. Damn good
   writing!

or

   I am sick of the regard in which modern English professors hold
   James Joyce. ``It's good writing,'' they say. ``The best, in fact.''
   But when I flip through Ulysses I find nothing but a morass of
   incomprehensible sentences obviously designed to drive any man
   insane. That's good writing for you! Just imagine: millions of
   students suffering through this drivel, trying to make some sense of
   the nonsense that we call good writing. It's an outrage, I say. Damn
   good writing!

people will understand me perfectly in each case.

> In any case, study of a foreign language is IMHO a good thing because
> one can compare and contrast.

True.

---Dan

In article <HARKCOM.90Dec13122346@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) writes:
> In article <27743@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
>  =}Russell's article stated the
>  =}(correct) opinion that writing skills are more important
>  =}to most than typing skills.
>    Even though I agree with your opinion on writing vs. word processing,
> I still don't think it is THE 'correct' opinion.

Writing skills are generally more important than typing skills. If this
isn't a fact, what is?

---Dan

harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) (12/14/90)

In article <27743@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:

 =}Russell's article stated the
 =}(correct) opinion that writing skills are more important
 =}to most than typing skills.

   Even though I agree with your opinion on writing vs. word processing,
I still don't think it is THE 'correct' opinion.

AL
--
-- harkcom@pa.yokogawa.co.jp
	Yokogawa Electric Corporation, Tokyo, Japan

sandberg@ipla01.hac.com (K. M. Sandberg) (12/14/90)

In article <27748@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
>I don't think so.  The problem is that students aren't exposed to enough good
>writing.  If they never see any, how can they possibly produce any?

I have a "teacher" at C.S.U.N. that makes me look like a GREAT writer.
If the teachers can't write, how do you expect the students to learn?
I think that the above is very true. It is funny that the students
have to take writing tests, but it appears that the teachers do not.

						Kemasa.
--
It would be interesting if people would listen to what they are saying,
but then again others are not listening either, so why should they?

e-mail address: sandberg@ipla01.hac.com

In article <HARKCOM.90Dec14075348@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) writes:
> In article <9426:Dec1315:38:2390@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
>     brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>  =}Writing skills are generally more important than typing skills. If this
>  =}isn't a fact, what is?
>    For the 'educated' portion of the population who will have to present
> ideas which can be interpreted by others, it is important.

This includes scientists, businessmen, etc.

> For the vast
> majority of people who will never need to write much more than there name
> and an occasional shopping list, yet will have to deal with the coming
> computer age to survive, it is not so important.

I agree with everything except the ``yet'' clause. Do you seriously
believe that T. C. Mits cares one whit about typing?

> To those people, writing
> skills (creative, not copying) would be considered less important than
> than typing skills.

Absolutely not. The largest class of people for whom typing is of the
most importance is secretaries, and there are many more businessmen and
scientists than secretaries.

> In article <8470:Dec1313:48:5190@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
>     brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>  =}No, it wouldn't. Programming experience does not substitute for writing
>  =}experience. The latter is far more important in the real world.
>  =}(My cynical side says that neither an ``interactive timeline'' nor a
>  =}history term paper is much more than an exercise in bull, but at least
>  =}writing bull is more of an intellectual challenge than coding it.)
>    Programming experience does not substitute for writing experience,
> but that does not make writing better then programming.

You continue with this idea that programming is actually important to a
noticeable percentage of the population. What world do you live in?

> (But a quick glance at most documentation shows that writing
> skills weren't 'studied' as hard as programming skills were. Myself
> included  ;-)

Huh? Are you actually admitting that writing skills are even important
for (gasp) programmers?

> In article <8619:Dec1314:03:4290@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
>    brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>  =}Hopefully not. It is hellishly useful to organize revisions into
>  =}separate drafts.
>    I find it quite a burden to keep revisions in seperate drafts.

Fine, that's your problem. For the rest of us, Strawman and friends will
remain useful abstractions.

>    I agree that typing skills do not dimish the importance of good writing
> skills. I also believe that good writing skills do not diminish the
> importance of good typing skills. They both have their importance and
> IMHO are equally important to the majority of the people (with writing
> skills taking the lead in the 'rat race')

Are you in touch? It's not a rat race. It's not even close.

>  =}Russell's analogy: An air conditioner can push Texas driving over the
>  =}threshold between a pain and a joy. So what? That doesn't diminish the
>  =}importance of driving well---and good driving requires a brake, not an
>  =}air conditioner.
>    But Russell's analogy fails!?!

Hardly. The minor differences you point out do not affect the form of
the analogy, which is: ``Convenience can push Action over the threshold
between a pain and a joy. So what? That doesn't diminish the importance
of [learning to do] Action well.'' I sure hope you understand that mere
conveniences pale beside essentials.

 =}>       writes:
 =}>  =}Russell's article stated the
 =}>  =}(correct) opinion that writing skills are more important
 =}>  =}to most than typing skills.
 =}>    Even though I agree with your opinion on writing vs. word processing,
 =}> I still don't think it is THE 'correct' opinion.
 =}
 =}Writing skills are generally more important than typing skills. If this
 =}isn't a fact, what is?

   For the 'educated' portion of the population who will have to present
ideas which can be interpreted by others, it is important. For the vast
majority of people who will never need to write much more than there name
and an occasional shopping list, yet will have to deal with the coming
computer age to survive, it is not so important. To those people, writing
skills (creative, not copying) would be considered less important than
than typing skills. And to those people, their opinion would be 'correct'
and your opinion would be foolish.

In article <8470:Dec1313:48:5190@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
    brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

 =}No, it wouldn't. Programming experience does not substitute for writing
 =}experience. The latter is far more important in the real world.
 =}
 =}(My cynical side says that neither an ``interactive timeline'' nor a
 =}history term paper is much more than an exercise in bull, but at least
 =}writing bull is more of an intellectual challenge than coding it.)

   Programming experience does not substitute for writing experience,
but that does not make writing better then programming. Programming is
an intellectual challenge also. Just because one values his writing
skills over his programming skills doesn't mean that the rest of the
world does so... I believe there is more 'intelligence' being used to
produce better software than there is being used to 'write' as evidenced
by the amount of good software produced vs. the amount of 'writing'
produced. (But a quick glance at most documentation shows that writing
skills weren't 'studied' as hard as programming skills were. Myself
included  ;-)

   You are entitled to your opinions, and the rest of us are entitled
to ours...

In article <8619:Dec1314:03:4290@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
   brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

 =}Hopefully not. It is hellishly useful to organize revisions into
 =}separate drafts.

   I find it quite a burden to keep revisions in seperate drafts. I
spend more time rewriting what I've already written or rethinking what
I've already written (when a rethink isn't neccesary) when I try to
keep drafts seperate. I find it much easier to stick my hands in the
guts of my words and feel where things fit instead of dissecting the
carcass of my draft and trying to piece it back much as Dr. Frankenstein
did with his monster...

 =}Your point is that word processors can push writing over the threshold
 =}between a pain and a joy. So what? That doesn't diminish the importance
 =}of writing well---and good prose requires a brain, not a keyboard.

   I agree that typing skills do not dimish the importance of good writing
skills. I also believe that good writing skills do not diminish the
importance of good typing skills. They both have their importance and
IMHO are equally important to the majority of the people (with writing
skills taking the lead in the 'rat race')

 =}Russell's analogy: An air conditioner can push Texas driving over the
 =}threshold between a pain and a joy. So what? That doesn't diminish the
 =}importance of driving well---and good driving requires a brake, not an
 =}air conditioner.

   But Russell's analogy fails!?! The writing skills in this analogy would
be more closely associated with the drivers reflexes and control over the
judgements neccesary to guide the car. The typing skills would be more
closely associated with the drivers interaction with the mechanical systems
of the car. If the object is to drive the car, both are equally as
important. If the person chooses to walk, then the writing skills (or
control) becomes the only important aspect...
--
-- harkcom@pa.yokogawa.co.jp
	Yokogawa Electric Corporation, Tokyo, Japan

pab@lucid.com (Peter Benson) (12/15/90)

[flamage between Dan and Alton deleted]

I think they are getting a little caught up in the argument.

I think Alton is not presenting the most important point for making
learning word processing skills part of the curriculum.  And Dan is stuck on
how important learning to write is compared to learning to use a word
processor (or type or whatever).  I think Dan is right that it is more
important to learn to write (meaning organize and present ideas) than to
learn a tool that makes writing easier. Most of us (probably including
Alton) agree with that.

The point that is missed here is that there is a significant portion of the
school age population that find it so obnoxious to write and rewrite using
pencil or typewriter that they avoid it however they can.  Now, if these
students had access to word processors then writing would be much less of a
horrible task.  With practice writing becomes easier.  If practice is too
painful then you practice only as much as is required and no more.  If
practice is interesting then at the very least you will do it more and
see improvements.

I say make word processors available to students who need to write and make
sure they are not too imtimidated by them.

Let's cool down a little and see that others have opinions that differ with
our own.

Please ignore any spelling and grammatical mistakes in this.  I was one of
those people who hated (the physical part of) writing in school.

-ptr-
pab@lucid.com

harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) (12/16/90)

In article <26567:Dec1403:56:2390@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
   brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

 =}>    For the 'educated' portion of the population who will have to present
 =}> ideas which can be interpreted by others, it is important.
 =}
 =}This includes scientists, businessmen, etc.

   I assumed that you were intelligent enough to know that, please give the
rest of us the benefit of a doubt...

   But lets look at things realistically. How many scientists, businessmen
or even educators actually produce any writings that serve anyone outside
of these professions. The minority that do are spread very thin throughout
history.

 =}I agree with everything except the ``yet'' clause. Do you seriously
 =}believe that T. C. Mits cares one whit about typing?

   Yes I do. I know more people who have to deal with keyboards and
keypads than with a pencil. But that is just my experience, yours may be
different. That's why I'm entitled to my opinion and you to yours...

 =}> To those people, writing
 =}> skills (creative, not copying) would be considered less important than
 =}> than typing skills.
 =}
 =}Absolutely not. The largest class of people for whom typing is of the
 =}most importance is secretaries, and there are many more businessmen and
 =}scientists than secretaries.

   Secretaries, huh? Your world view is mighty narrow... There are a myriad
of people in other professions (C Store managers, fast food restaurant
managers and the like far outnumber scientists, businessmen, and
seceretaries, just to name a few) who have to cope with typing almost
every day in their work, yet have no need for doing any creative writing...
They may have to do a lot of 'creative thinking' to get the books to
balance though...

 =}You continue with this idea that programming is actually important to a
 =}noticeable percentage of the population. What world do you live in?

   The real world, not an academic one... Look at the number of
programmable appliances and such on the market. With the market going
the way it is, the "keyboard is mightier than the pen" may become a
popular phrase...

 =}> (But a quick glance at most documentation shows that writing
 =}> skills weren't 'studied' as hard as programming skills were. Myself
 =}> included  ;-)
 =}
 =}Huh? Are you actually admitting that writing skills are even important
 =}for (gasp) programmers?

   Writing skills are important for anyone who wants to be a contributing
member of society. Typing skills are important for anyone who wants to
be recognized as a contributing member of society or who wants to be
able to survive in the coming 'electronic world'.

   "No matter how much prose I recite to this damned machine, it won't
make me breakfast..."

 =}> In article <8619:Dec1314:03:4290@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
 =}>    brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
 =}>  =}Hopefully not. It is hellishly useful to organize revisions into
 =}>  =}separate drafts.
 =}>    I find it quite a burden to keep revisions in seperate drafts.
 =}
 =}Fine, that's your problem. For the rest of us, Strawman and friends will
 =}remain useful abstractions.

   For the rest of the people who feel as you do, then that is so. For
the rest of the people who feel as I do, then it is just your opinion...

   Can't you accept the fact that there are people who don't agree with
you and may be correct in there opinion?

 =}>    I agree that typing skills do not dimish the importance of good writing
 =}> skills. I also believe that good writing skills do not diminish the
 =}> importance of good typing skills. They both have their importance and
 =}> IMHO are equally important to the majority of the people (with writing
 =}> skills taking the lead in the 'rat race')
 =}
 =}Are you in touch? It's not a rat race. It's not even close.

   Speaking of touch, aren't you being a bit rude in your replies. By
'rat race' I meant the 'publish or perish' and 'document til-u-die'
participants in the 'educated community'...

 =}>    But Russell's analogy fails!?!
 =}
 =}Hardly. The minor differences you point out do not affect the form of
 =}the analogy, which is: ``Convenience can push Action over the threshold
 =}between a pain and a joy. So what? That doesn't diminish the importance
 =}of [learning to do] Action well.''

   The minor differnces I point out give the correct relationships
between the topics of discussion. Russell's analogy fails to do so...

   The correct analogy should be "If your goal is Action then you must
learn to do the action well and convenience does nothing to aid in this.
If action[1] and action[2] are important in accomplishing Action then
you should learn to do both actions well."

   It is my opinion that to survive in the modern world and prepare for
the future(Action), action[1] and action[2] (writing and typing) are BOTH
important to succeed.

   It seems to be your opinion that for the same Action, action[1] is
important and action[2] is not very important.

   Only tim will tell which of these is 'correct'.

 =} I sure hope you understand that mere
 =}conveniences pale beside essentials.

   I sure hope that you understand that you are speaking to a well
educated human being and not an ignorant low-life as you seem to
imply. I also hope that you understand that typing skills are essential
in making posts to the net and writing skills seem to be a convenience
(though they should be considered essential).

In peace,
Al

"Open your eyes, open your mind, open your heart;
but try to keep the other parts closed when you can" -- Anon
--

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (12/21/90)

In article <12278@hacgate.UUCP> sandberg@ipla01.hac.com (K. M. Sandberg) writes:
>In article <27748@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
<<...
<<I don't think so.  The problem is that students aren't exposed to enough good
<<writing.  If they never see any, how can they possibly produce any?
<<...
<
<I have a "teacher" at C.S.U.N. that makes me look like a GREAT writer.

Complain to your dean.

<If the teachers can't write, how do you expect the students to learn?

I don't.  This is another problem; it's not related to the discussion.

<I think that the above is very true. It is funny that the students
<have to take writing tests, but it appears that the teachers do not.

I know.  There were English teachers in my junior high school in
South CarHELLina who could hardly put together a sensible sentence in
speech or in writing.

					--Scott

--

< =}<       writes:
< =}<  =}Russell's article stated the
< =}<  =}(correct) opinion that writing skills are more important
< =}<  =}to most than typing skills.
< =}<    Even though I agree with your opinion on writing vs. word processing,
< =}< I still don't think it is THE 'correct' opinion.
< =}
< =}Writing skills are generally more important than typing skills. If this
< =}isn't a fact, what is?
<
<   For the 'educated' portion of the population who will have to present
<ideas which can be interpreted by others, it is important. For the vast
<majority of people who will never need to write much more than there name
<and an occasional shopping list, yet will have to deal with the coming
<computer age to survive, it is not so important. To those people, writing
<skills (creative, not copying) would be considered less important than
<than typing skills. And to those people, their opinion would be 'correct'
<and your opinion would be foolish.

Strikes me that those people won't be doing much typing, anyway.  A few
secretaries will, but the rest won't be copying long passages into a computer;
and if they won't be doing much writing, they won't be creating much at the
computer.  What good are typing skills if you have nothing to type?

<In article <8470:Dec1313:48:5190@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
<    brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
<
< =}No, it wouldn't. Programming experience does not substitute for writing
< =}experience. The latter is far more important in the real world.
< =}
< =}(My cynical side says that neither an ``interactive timeline'' nor a
< =}history term paper is much more than an exercise in bull, but at least
< =}writing bull is more of an intellectual challenge than coding it.)
<
<   Programming experience does not substitute for writing experience,
<but that does not make writing better then programming. Programming is
<an intellectual challenge also.

Yes, I agree.  It's a different sort of intellectual challenge.

<   You are entitled to your opinions, and the rest of us are entitled
<to ours...

I'm afraid I still don't see how one can form a sensible case for the "opinion"
that typing is more important than writing, except for professional typists.

					--Scott

--

In article <HARKCOM.90Dec15113104@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) writes:
>In article <26567:Dec1403:56:2390@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
>   brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
<
<   But lets look at things realistically. How many scientists, businessmen
<or even educators actually produce any writings that serve anyone outside
<of these professions. The minority that do are spread very thin throughout
<history.

Yes, but so what?  How many could last long in their professions if they
couldn't serve the needs of others in their professions?  A poorly written
paper won't be read or published; a poorly written business letter won't
push widgets.

< =}I agree with everything except the ``yet'' clause. Do you seriously
< =}believe that T. C. Mits cares one whit about typing?
<
<   Yes I do. I know more people who have to deal with keyboards and
<keypads than with a pencil.

I use both instruments.  So what?  I can use a ballpoint, a computer, a
printing press, or a Chinese brush pen; what does it matter?  I write well.
This is what matters.

By the way, even computer programmers need writing skills, even though many
of them are sadly lacking thereof.  Look at my code; even my nasty hacks
aren't so nasty as the drek which comes with cryptic comments and peculiar
structure.

< =}< To those people, writing
< =}< skills (creative, not copying) would be considered less important than
< =}< than typing skills.
< =}
< =}Absolutely not. The largest class of people for whom typing is of the
< =}most importance is secretaries, and there are many more businessmen and
< =}scientists than secretaries.
<
<   Secretaries, huh? Your world view is mighty narrow... There are a myriad
<of people in other professions (C Store managers, fast food restaurant
<managers and the like far outnumber scientists, businessmen, and
<seceretaries, just to name a few) who have to cope with typing almost
<every day in their work, yet have no need for doing any creative writing...

Haven't they?  When the boss asks for a report?  When they have to write
to headquarters?  Do they find themselves tongue-tied when dealing with people?
Can they explain things articulately?

<They may have to do a lot of 'creative thinking' to get the books to
<balance though...

That's different.  Almost everyone does creative thinking.  Don't confuse the
issue.

< =}< (But a quick glance at most documentation shows that writing
< =}< skills weren't 'studied' as hard as programming skills were. Myself
< =}< included  ;-)
< =}
< =}Huh? Are you actually admitting that writing skills are even important
< =}for (gasp) programmers?
<
<   Writing skills are important for anyone who wants to be a contributing
<member of society. Typing skills are important for anyone who wants to
<be recognized as a contributing member of society or who wants to be
<able to survive in the coming 'electronic world'.

When do most people do any typing?  Using a bank machine and dialing a
telephone don't count as "typing".  In "the coming `electronic world'",
those people won't find themselves copying long passages of text into a
computer by keyboard.  For an occasional brief interaction with a computer
(entering a name and social-security number, for instance), hunting and
pecking with two fingers will do for them.

<   "No matter how much prose I recite to this damned machine, it won't
<make me breakfast..."

And no matter how many times you type "Now is the time for all good men to
come to the aid of the Party" to it, it still won't make you breakfast.

< =}< In article <8619:Dec1314:03:4290@kramden.acf.nyu.edu<
< =}<    brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
<
<   Speaking of touch, aren't you being a bit rude in your replies.

Yes, Dan, I think you are.  Please keep the tone reasonable; we're all adults
here.

<   It is my opinion that to survive in the modern world and prepare for
<the future(Action), action[1] and action[2] (writing and typing) are BOTH
<important to succeed.

Fine.  I've never disputed this.  But for most people, Action 2 isn't
important unless Action 1 is.

<I also hope that you understand that typing skills are essential
<in making posts to the net and writing skills seem to be a convenience
<(though they should be considered essential).

I know people who tap out their USENET articles with two fingers.  Does it
matter to you that this article came out of my fingers at about a hundred
words per minute?  If so, I'll write this sentence with only two fingers,
just for your benefit.  :-)  There.  See?  No difference.

Writing skills a convenience on the net?  That's why half the stuff on the
net can hardly be read.

					--Scott

--

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (12/22/90)

In article <40001@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
<
<Was this discussion about writing and typing? No. I merely claim that you can
<teach the skill of writing better with a word processor than you can with a
<pencil because the response time is better and it is a more convivial tool.

I doubt it.  Some will like computers, some will be frustrated by them.

Anyway, much of the "convivial" nature of word processors comes from their
toy-like quality.

<also claim that you can't teach the skill of writing without a tool.

Of course.

<I think that if Scott is going to post, he needs to read the entire discussion
<to get a drift for where it came from and where it might be going

I've read the discussion, thank you very much.

<The response about secretaries is possibly sexist and at the least degrading.
<Why would you assume secretaries aren't writers. My guess is that they are much
<better than average... because they know how to use, and do use the best
<writing tool ever invented:-)

Ah, you're singing this old song again.  Several points:

1) NO, it was not sexist.  I'm one of the few males I know who calls himself
   a feminist.  However, *your* response might be regarded as sexist, as you
   seem to make the assumption that secretaries are of one sex and reflect on
   that sex.

2) It's not degrading, either.  Secretaries are hired for their typing ability
   (and other skills, of course, but this discussion pertains to typing).
   If he (_N.B._:  not `she') types 200 wpm but can't form a sensible paragraph
   on paper, he'll be hired as a secretary before someone with a Pulitzer
   prize for literature who fumbles along with two fingers.

3) Secretaries usually *copy*; they don't write.  Granted, some employers who
   can't write get secretaries who can to write for them.  But that's not
   ordinarily a secretary's job.

4) Do they know how to use word processors?  I'm tired of the typographical
   horrors which spew from the "desktop-publishing" and "word-processing"
   systems of those who know nothing about typography.  I'd like to see all
   such people relegated to typewriters (or at least straight-ASCII text
   editors) until they acquire some typographical taste.

5) As I've been saying all along, you continue to confuse the use of a writing
   tool and the effective use of writing.  A calligrapher need not be able to
   compose a sentence on his own; a writer need not have good handwriting.
   You're just clouding the issue.

					--Scott

--

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (12/23/90)

In article <27936@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:

>... trimmed stuff you've read at least 3 times before

>I doubt it.  Some will like computers, some will be frustrated by them.
>
>Anyway, much of the "convivial" nature of word processors comes from their
>toy-like quality.

When I use the term "convivial" I'm using it in the same fashion Ivan Illich
used it in the past. A convivial tool is one which can be easily learned and
does not need to be 'taught' This same "conviviality" is expressed by Alan Kay
when he discusses his fantasy amplification device and which most of the Media
Lab projects exhibit.

I've taught a lot of kids to use word processors and I have never found a kid
to be 'frustrated' by the "convivial" nature of word processors.

How many kids have you taught to use computers for writing, graphics, and
programming? Yes Scott I'm sorry to say but I've even taught 5 year old kids to
use terrible editors to write recursive programs. Correction, I helped them
'learn' to use terrible editors -- no frustration!

The best tool to teach writing is the word processor because it is, as Illich
defined it, a convivial tool.

"toy-like quality", does that mean that it is less than tool-like?

My guess is that the more 'toy-like' a tool is the quicker the learning.

--Thom Gillespie