[comp.edu] Mail-order bookstores

ppennane@cs.Helsinki.FI (Petrus Pennanen) (01/22/91)

Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
cheap mail order educational bookstore? I'm interested in undergraduate
books in computer science, mathematics and physics. These books are very
expensive (about 2.5 times the normal US price) in Finland, so I'm
considering ordering quite a lot of them directly from US with my fellow
students.

Thanks in advance!
--
Petrus Pennanen
{ppennanen@cc,ppennane@kreeta}.helsinki.fi ppennanen@finuh (EARN)

jk87377@korppi.tut.fi (Kouhia Juhana Krister) (01/22/91)

In article <10795@hydra.Helsinki.FI> ppennane@cs.Helsinki.FI (Petrus Pennanen) writes:
>Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
>cheap mail order educational bookstore?

Order directly from the publisher.
Pay beforehand or order the Pro Forma for the books.
     If you don't pay beforehand, your books may come to local
     bookstore and they will 'rob' you - there's some contracts exists
     with the bookstores here and the publishers.

Pro Forma is the bill you pay through bank or you must send it back
with the check.

Best way might be that you ask publisher's count number, prices for
the books and the handling charges via FAX machine. And when they see
that you have payed the books they will send them to you.

Any other good ways to do the ordering?

Juhana Kouhia
jk87377@tut.fi

ppk@East.Sun.COM (Pravin [Prah-veen] Kumar - Sun BDC) (01/22/91)

   From: ppennane@cs.Helsinki.FI (Petrus Pennanen)
   Newsgroups: alt.books.technical,comp.edu,misc.education
   Date: 21 Jan 91 21:23:45 GMT

   Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
   cheap mail order educational bookstore? I'm interested in undergraduate
   books in computer science, mathematics and physics. These books are very
   expensive (about 2.5 times the normal US price) in Finland, so I'm
   considering ordering quite a lot of them directly from US with my fellow
   students.

An excellent source for technical books is:

Book Scientific
18 E. 16th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10003
USA
1.800.621.1220

Unfortunately, I don't know how you can reach them via phone from outside the
US.

They send a bill along with the order. They also have a 10% or 5% discount
depending on the size of the order.

I've been using them for about 7 years.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Book Scientific except as a satisfied
customer.

--
Pravin Kumar
Email:	ppk@East.Sun.Com or ...{uunet,decwrl}!sun.com!ppk

eriko@Siri.Unit.NO (Erik Odberg) (01/23/91)

In article <10795@hydra.Helsinki.FI>, ppennane@cs.Helsinki.FI (Petrus Pennanen) writes:
|> Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
|> cheap mail order educational bookstore? I'm interested in undergraduate
|> books in computer science, mathematics and physics. These books are very
|> expensive (about 2.5 times the normal US price) in Finland, so I'm
|> considering ordering quite a lot of them directly from US with my fellow
|> students.
|>
|> Thanks in advance!
|> --
|> Petrus Pennanen
|> {ppennanen@cc,ppennane@kreeta}.helsinki.fi ppennanen@finuh (EARN)

What about Barnes & Noble @ 6th (??) Avenue, New York.  They have a pretty
good collection of CS books.  They claim they're the biggest bookstore in NY
(is that true?).  I suppose they do mail order, and in that case they'll
probably accept VISA or other credit cards.  It might be I can find the address
at home, but I suppose NY residents have better access to this information :-)

I have very good experiences with buying records from US paying by VISA.  I
received the stuff only weeks after I sent the order form.

erik

bje@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Bjorn Ellertsson) (01/23/91)

I have had good experience only with

Buchhandlung
Mail Order Kaiser
Postfach 40 1209
D-8000 Munchen 40
Germany

Ordering from the US is easier said than done:

Payment by check will add 4-6 weeks while it "clears"

You'll have to pay (dearly) for transatlantic air mail

Surface mail is so slow that your books will be dated
before they arrive ;-)

Bjorn
-----
Bj"orn Ellertsson, Program in Computing, UCLA (213) 825-2251
Internet: bje@math.ucla.edu            BITNET: bje%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT
UUCP:...!{ucsd,purdue,rutgers,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!bje

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (01/23/91)

In <10795@hydra.Helsinki.FI> ppennane@cs.Helsinki.FI (Petrus Pennanen) writes:

>Do you know an address/phone number of a reliable, fast and maybe also
>cheap mail order educational bookstore? I'm interested in undergraduate
>books in computer science, mathematics and physics. These books are very
>expensive (about 2.5 times the normal US price) in Finland, so I'm
>considering ordering quite a lot of them directly from US with my fellow
>students.

Try:

The Cucumber Bookshop, Inc.
5611 Kraft Drive
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone (301) 881-2722
Fax   (301) 468-2920

"Ask for our free catalog"
"Checks/Visa/MasterCard/American Express"

I have no connection with Cucumber other than as a customer.

They have a very, very wide & good selection of computer books;
especially C, Unix, programming.  I believe they carry the
entire line of O'Reilly Nutshell books, also.

Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@oasys.dt.navy.mil
                     In Support of the Men of Desert Storm
-------------------------------------(=o=)------------------------------------

floom@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Laura E. Floom) (01/24/91)

In article <988@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> bje@math.ucla.edu (Bjorn Ellertsson) writes:

>You'll have to pay (dearly) for transatlantic air mail
>
>Surface mail is so slow that your books will be dated
>before they arrive ;-)

not true - we have a special book rate in this country. very cheap.
we even have an airmail book rate. quite cheap.

you can not include a letter or an elso with the books. if you do,
then they charge normal rates.

frazier@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kent Frazier) (01/25/91)

OPAMP Technical Books, Inc.
1033 N.Sycamore Ave.
Los Angeles, Ca 90038
(213) 464-4322

is an excellent bookstore for technical books (in particular Computer).
It has a mail order service. Their catalogue says:

To order by mail: specify title, author, publisher, quantity, (and page
number if ordering from their catalog). Include your physical address for
shipping. We cannot ship to a P.O. box.

They accept charge cards (include card type, card number, expiration date,
day time phone number), and checks (imprinted with name and address, and
with work & home phones, driver license no.,state, date of birth).

The only distinction they seem to make on shipping locations is inside
California, and outside California. While Finland falls into one of
those catagories, it might be worth while to check further.

 Delivery and shipping charges

Availability   Delivery time      shipping charge
		 (approx)
In Stock         1-3 days         $2.95 (1st book)
				  (outside Ca. $3.95)
				   .50 for each additional
				   book.

Out of Stock     4-5 weeks        likewise

They also provide a RUSH service at addtional cost.

ccmorris@vela.acs.oakland.edu (ccmorris) (01/26/91)

One more...

Powell's Technical Bookstore
32 NW Eleventh Street
Portland, Oregon 97209
1-800-224-6911

Good Selection of all types of techie info: Computers, engineering,
chem, etc. I haven't mail-ordered to it but I know that they will

wiseb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (G. Bowden Wise) (01/27/91)

Two good mail-order book stores in the California bay area:

Casey's Books
University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA

Computer Literacy Bookstores
two stores in the bay area (San Jose and ?)

Sorry I dont have phone numbers; but, I have ordered from both and
they have a fast turn around.

Both have an excellent source of technical books and a knowledgeable
staff.
- Bowden Wise
  Computer Science Dept, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst, Troy, NY 12180
  internet: wiseb@turing.cs.rpi.edu      bitnet: bowden@rpitsmts

jolliffe@havarti.ucs.ubc.ca (Bruce Jolliffe) (01/27/91)

A good mail-order store serving Western Canada is

	Siliconnections
	3727 West 10th Avenue
	Vancouver B.C.  V6R 2G5
	Canada
	Tel: 222-2221

They carry large selection of computer books along with a few
business books and some science essay books. If they don't have it
they will order it.
--

   Bruce Jolliffe                   University Computing Services
   jolliffe@ucs.ubc.ca              University of British Columbia

prp@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Place) (01/28/91)

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned what is probably the
best bookshop worldwide, Blackwell's.  They do mail order, either
on a Blackwell's account or by credit card payment.

Blackwell's
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BQ
England
Tel: +44 865 792792
Fax: +44 865 791438

I have no connection with Blackwell's other than being a very
satisfied customer.

Pat Place   prp@sei.cmu.edu

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (02/02/91)

I see how misinformation is spread.

>Casey's Books
>University Avenue
>Palo Alto, CA

s/Casey/Stacey/

>Computer Literacy Bookstores
>two stores in the bay area (San Jose and ?)
> Sorry I dont have phone numbers; but, I have ordered from both and

Three.  Sunnyvale [original] and Cupertino. (408)-435-1118.

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (02/04/91)

In article <4872@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, ccmorris@vela.acs.oakland.edu
(ccmorris) writes...
>One more...
>
>Powell's Technical Bookstore
>32 NW Eleventh Street
>Portland, Oregon 97209
>1-800-224-6911
>
>Good Selection of all types of techie info: Computers, engineering,
>chem, etc. I haven't mail-ordered to it but I know that they will

also a great store to visit!  their new store even has a coffee
bar for browsers.  Powell's Technical Bookstore moved last month.
 The new address is 33 NW Park Ave., Portaln OR 97209.  If you're
ordering from Europe, you might have to ask Directory Assistance
for the regular phone number, since the 800 number will only work
in the US.  Best way to pay from Europe would probably be credit
card (they take AMEX, Visa, Mastercard, & Discover).  Their fax
number is 503.228.0505.

dennis p. harris					bitnet: jsdph@alaska.edu

  "The nation that controls magnetism controls the Universe." --- Diet Smith